Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How do you reset vendor items?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by ADest, Apr 29, 2012. | Replies: 12 | Views: 5442

1. ADest

ADest IncGamers Member

How do you reset vendor items?

Here's a question I couldn't find an answer to after playing Open Beta... How do you reset Vendor items? In D2 all you had to do was leave town, in D3 that doesn't seem to work... (Also, items for sale seem to have infinite quantities... In D2 the vendor would only have 1 copy of an item and sold out after 1 purchse, in D3 you can buy the same item multiple times) I've completed entire quests and come back to see the vendors still have the same items. The only way to reset them seems to be by leaving the game and making a new one?

Troublesome.. Especially considering how important those +2-4 damage rings are for raising a characters DPS, and the only way to get them (in the beta, anyway) seems to be buying them from the vendors.

2. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

Re: How do you reset vendor items?

It does reset at certain points during the game... not after every quest though. Not sure exactly which ones it is... easy way to do it at will is to leave the game, like you say.

Which is, after all, not THAT big a deal... just do it after you reach the next waypoint, at which point you can do it a few times until you get what you want.

Ring thing is not likely to be much of an issue in the full game; they should start dropping RIGHT after the beta content ends (since they already drop from the highest critters in the Beta, namely Leoric's skelly guards), so you probably won't want to be shelling out 1k for them instead of just playing another zone or two.

3. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

If you want, you can quit the game, and come back, and the items will reset.

I loaded the 'North Gate' quest, then got to the checkpoint JUST at the edge of the bridge leading into the weeping hollow so I could keep loading and running back to Radek the Fence until I got the ring I wanted :p.

4. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

Let me guess 2-4 AD with AS? ^^

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

my guess is that at launch you will not want to keep exiting games as i am sure there will be a que system in place. and really having to exit the game to reset the vendor inventory is stupid

6. ADest

ADest IncGamers Member

I didn't want to leave games during the Beta. Throughout most of it, there were always these error 3000 and
    300008 messages that wouldn't let me start a game with my characters. I'd want to play my Barbarian and would have to use my Wizard instead. They usually would spring up an hour or so before Blizzard would shut down the Open Beta.

Anyway, it is excessive to make people start a new game just to reset the items... The other way they reset seems to be when you reach a level that unlocks higher level gear. So like when you go from the stuff that requires Character level 3 to character level 7, 7 to 9, and so on. If they don't want it to reset when leaving town, then they should reset at least whenever you use a waypoint.

7. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Vendor inventory doesn't reset at fixed points in the quest line or when you leave town. My current guess is that it simply resets after a fixed amount of time, about 30 minutes.

8. Srikandi

Ah, maybe that's what it is. I was never able to pin it down.

Anyway, the two concerns above me should not apply at release... if there are queues at launch, or if there are still login errors, Blizz will face massive backlash and has more to worry about than vendor issues ><

And personally, I don't think you should be ABLE to reset vendors easily at will, because then you kind of HAVE to do it over and over and over to get the perfect stats on an item, and I can't think of any activity less entertaining :p

9. HardRock

That's easily solvable by not allowing the vendors to carry items with the highest level affixes and in the case of Rare items they should only come with 4 affixes max. Players won't "farm" the vendors then, but they could still carry valuable items from time to time.

10. Srikandi

Right, and then the OP's problem becomes a non-issue :) I think something like this may already be in place.

11. HardRock

That's the idea. :)

To be honest, I think vendor farming will become a non-issue anyway as soon as every item type will drop from monsters, which should happen soon after the beta content. The devs could always take measures to discourage this behavior even more though.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  12. direfire

direfire IncGamers Member

Good question and bad design not to remove an item sold.

13. HardRock

I disagree. This puts a cap on the cost of Magic crafting components (Rares are removed from vendors when you buy them), so people with ludicrous amount of money won't be able to inflate their price too much.