Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How do you name your character?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Maurice, Oct 16, 2005. | Replies: 41 | Views: 1575

1. Maurice

Maurice IncGamers Member

How do you name your character?

Well, the idea for this thread kinda came to me while reading Jude's 'How many characters do you have?': I'd like to know what people call their characters... For instance, I like to give them 'real names' like Michael, Richard or Jennifer, and occasionally a mythological name like Hera (Hydra sorc) and Hades (Fishymancer). Also, I like to use names I find in books; Seoman, Milamber and Miranda, to name a few. I value originality so I never use the same name twice (something I often regret when I need to come up with a new name for a char).

Anyway, I'd be very interested in reading what people call their chars (and perhaps pick up a few I can use :uhhuh: )
  2. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

Well i usually spend quite some time comming up with a name with a character , i try not too use chessy names apart from my mav zon which i named pit-runner ( i was tired when i made her :) )

Most of my names comes from other games/books/t.v

Examples Bastila/Dalton

Some from a book i have taken were Delta and Echo ( From the Bourne Identity/Supremacy. Note not the movies but from the books.) Also Carlos.

Also i use the greek Alphabet Delta/Alpha/Zeta these are the ones i have used so far may use some more.

Others i called my hammerdin Al_Bundy :)

Will add more later :p

Aman
  3. Darkflight

Darkflight IncGamers Member

Well, i sometimes name them after what class they are, like Meteorb and Avenger and stuff. I also have characters named after the sets they use, like mavina and Tal Rasha and stuff. And some i just create out of my head, like Scorched and My***** :D

Naming a character has never really been a big deal for me.
  4. Quicksilver

Quicksilver IncGamers Member

I usually spend a long time coming up with names for my characters. I'm even prone to deleting characters (usually around level 20) and remaking them if I change my mind about the name I have given them.

For example, the Amazon I'm playing right now started off as Kaethala, changed to Kathalua and now finally Daethala which I've stuck with. I know its only a tiny change, but I just feel Daethala is a more aesthetically pleasing name.

I tend to find names used for fictional characters, get an idea for how they sound and then make my own from it. Like I've had a Necromancer called Raolath, a Paladin called Nikarus and Amazons called Alkara and Celestia to name a few. I went through a phase where I named my characters based on what they "did", like my Guardian Trappasin I had was called Darkstryke, and I had a Frostzealot called Lightfrost. Then I thought they sounded pretty terrible :lol:
  5. Naracla

Naracla IncGamers Member

My character names come mostly from fantasy/fiction books, like Entreri (assassin), Myrddin (druid), and Voldemort (necro). Others are historical, like Morgian the Sorceress. I tend to pick names that suite the type of character, but I don't spend an inordinate amount of time doing so.
  6. Reborn2k

Reborn2k IncGamers Member

That's exactly how I use(d) to do it (+ the mythology thing): Arthur, Balduin, Faunus, Kanthor, Tasmana, Thor... I also have chars named after the set they wear, TalRahsa, Natlaya, etc., like Darkflight. I named my MF skellymancer "Jaegar", which is a wrong way of writing "Jäger", Hunter in german (hunts for items). Soon there will probably be some chars like "Crusher", "BoneThrower" and something like that, because I just feel like it and have run out of mythological sounding names! ;)
  7. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

hum names well the latest names i have used is

jade
    Tamar
    Zerek
    Zartan
    Storm
    Azar
    Marlene
    Ani
    Celena
    Zarek
    Darkshade
    Greywolf

the 6 versions of my amazon project has had the names

Amber
    Alilya
    Cerena
    Mikano
    Marion

version 6(see my matrarich thread) is named Mucai

i tend to use the names i come up with when bored
  8. Tasdaz

Tasdaz IncGamers Member

I try and name my characters based on the build/class or a theme. Some names I have used are from books, some names from way back when I first played the original pen & paper Dungeons and Dragons at school. Ouch, thinking about that make me feel old. :(

Some names & their origins:

Alena - Sorceress. Character from the books, the Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant - The Unbeliever. My favorite books ever. She was the daughter of Lena (my dearly departed staffys name).

ColdHeart - Blizzard sorc

DeathBreath - Poisonmancer

WitchyPoo - Sorceress. From the kids series of yesteryear H R Puffenstuff

Roldar - Paladin. One of my D&D names. First three letters of my last name & first 3 letters of my first name.

Darmeg - Paladin. First three letters of my name & first three letters of my partners name.

BeerBreath - Barbarian. Drunken darts tourney character.

SnuSnu - Amazon. From the Futurama episode "Amazon women in love". It is amazionian for sex :lol:

I have also from time to time used girlfriend names.
  9. Wraithan

Wraithan IncGamers Member

Mine I take the build, then throw it through a translater into german, from there it maybe tweaked, but I love how german words sound/look so that is why I name my toons that way.

:thumbsup:

+15 points to your cool meter (I love those books)
  10. Mankey

Mankey IncGamers Member

Greek Mythology is the name of the game. For 1.1X anyways. 1.07 chars have spanish names, and 1.09 have varriants of mankey. I think I've done a fairly good job matching up names though.

Achilles_OtN Talon/Traper Hybrid (Assassin)
    Aphrodite_OtN Meteorb (Sorceress)
    Arcas_OtN Aldur's Fire Claws Bear (Druid)
    Ares_OtN Frost Zealot (Paladin)
    Artemis_OtN Hybrid Dexizon (Amazon)
    Asclepius_OtN Trang's Poison Nova Summoner (Necromancer)
    Athena_OtN Fendazon (Amazon)
    Boreas_OtN WindWalker (Druid)
    Cratos_OtN Iron Zerker (Barbarian)
    Cronus_OtN Martyr (Paladin)
    Hades_OtN Overlord Necro (Necromancer)
    Hecate_OtN Nats MA Sin (Assassin)
    Hephaestus_OtN Hammerdin (Paladin)
    Hera_OtN Tal's Tri-elemental (Sorceress)
    Heracles_OtN IK Whirly Barb (Barbarian)
    Hermes_OtN BK Frenzy Barb (Barbarian)
    Hestia_OtN Melee Enchantress (Sorceress)
    Hippolyta_OtN M'avina's Frost Maiden (Amazon)
    Pan_OtN Fury Werewolf (Druid)
    Persephone_OtN Blizzard Sorc (Sorceress)
    Polyhymnia_OtN TS/ DT Kicker (Assassin)
    Poseidon_OtN Griswold's Avenger (Paladin)
    Thanatos_OtN Bone Necro (Necromancer)
    Zeus_OtN Lightning Trapper (Assassin)
  11. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

In 1.09 many of by characters were Eddings names, others just little personal quirks, Gonad the Ballbearing or Benatar the fire and ice sorc. In 1.11, I seem to have developed a theme. My fishymancer, Skellidancer, my shadow assassin, Shadowdancer, my fire tree melee sorc, firedancer, I changed the name of my summoner druid from Odinesk to Beastdancer. I'm also considering changing my Bliz/CL sorc from The_Weathergirl to Stormdancer.
  12. WayWardSoul

WayWardSoul IncGamers Member

13. GueLerMe

GueLerMe IncGamers Member

Who does use the search forum button anyway? I don't ^^

Ok, about my chars, I don't have an exact method of choosing names, but...

Windslasher, my Bowazon, her name was kinda a joke about how my AR sucked, and I'd literally "slash the air" ^^ Now I fixed that problem...

Lede, my Assassin, came from one of the best games ever, Final Fantasy Tactics...She's got that one-hit kill feeling due to the massive damage inflicted by DTail after having charged TS and PS...

Rasha, my Necro...I just wanted to give him a D2 related name ^^

And my Classic pally that I'll prolly transform in a Frostzealot now...is called Guilherme...Guess why?
  14. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

I really like dogs, so I name all my characters as XXXpuppy, where XXX usually relates to what the class is. For example, one of my cold sorc is ChillyPuppy. One of my favorite names is SleepyPuppy, just because that image is so cute :D
  15. WayWardSoul

WayWardSoul IncGamers Member

16. Humphrey

Humphrey IncGamers Member

I think I posted in the other thread, but I've made new characters since then anyway.

Bolt: Lightning trapsin, bolt as in lightning
    Boreas: Wind Druid, god of north wind
    Carrot: Holy Shock Pally, named after Carrot from diskworld, affects people around him (a bit tenuous I know, but I was intending to name new characters after diskworld characters, but stopped after a few)
    Etalla: Strafer, no reason to the name, just one I thought up. Don't like the name too much.
    Fitz, Fury, Flurry: These are my TWD characters so I had all the names begin with the same letter, a summon/fire druid (named after character from Assassin trilogy), a lightning fury amazon (named after lightning fury), a blade fury assassin (flurry of blades).
    Hroth: a barb. Another name I just thought up.
    Illumina: lightning sorc, lights up things.
    Kvek: WW barb. Just thought up again.
    Midas: frenzy gold finder barb. named after Midas (surprisingly :) )
    Phoenix: Phoenix strike assassin
    Rual: Pally. No reason to name, just thought up.
    Shade: Was my single skill tree tourny assassin, chose shadow tree, and thought shade was a better name than shadow. Will make her into a trap/MA hybrid I think.
    Talock: summon necro, just made up the name, but I was quite pleased with it.
    Talon: bone necro, named to be similar to Talock
    Venom: Poison necro, didn't want to call him Poison
    Wolfgang: Fury WW druid, named after ww in diskworld books.
    Xia: Another assassin, just thought up the name. Might be deleted soon, didn't realise I had 4 assassins, trying to pat/mat 3 from each class.
    Zara: Meteorb sorc, another random name.
  17. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Well, I didn't post in the last thread (although I think I posted in the one before that one :) ) so I'm ready to revisit the topic since I have all new character since then. I'm all over the map when it comes to naming my characters.

I have the random common names:
    Kathryn - septavirate daggerzon
    Jason - titan 'zerker from AQT tournament (I'll play him someday :) )
    Karl - SC super twinked tesladin for MP with some friends (If I can get the one off Evercrack long enough to play. :rant: )

I've got names that sound cool:
    Phoenix - septavirate scythe enchantress
    Karisha - SC sorceress

Sometimes I pick a name to go along with the theme:
    Gabrielle - staff amazon
    Neil - drummer barb

My TWD characters all got named after the computers from the game Marathon:
    Leela - MA amazon
    Tycho - Ranger
    Durandal - Summoning Necro

I've also used names from webcomics in the past, and probably will again, but I don't have any right now.
  18. Jude

Jude IncGamers Member

That is cool! :cool:

I'm still naming my new characters with names starting with E. in honor of the 1.11 (eleventy-one) patch. My latest is Evangeline, an assassin to avenge her Acadian namesake (although the demons and undead probably aren't the British who expelled the French Acadians from Canada ;) )--from Longfellow's poem--see:
    http://www.cajunculture.com/Other/Evangeline.htm
    or to download the how poem:
    http://www.gov.ns.ca/legislature/library/digitalcollection/Evangeline.pdf

I think this naming topic is worth bring up from time to time because things change! And it's fun. :thumbsup:

Jude
  19. yakker

yakker IncGamers Member

Good thread!

For me, the name has to make me smile, or has to make me want to take the character all the way just to see the title in front of their name (or both). Sometimes it has some subtle (or not so subtle) suggestive/self-deprecating theme.

A couple of my faves:

Destroyer FleaBreakfast - Level 71 Fury WW
    ...his softcore successor, FleaBiscuit, did much better (level 85 Pat)

GutRot (Patriarch) - Level 85 Poisonmancer
    PrickerellaPain (Matriarch) - Level 82 LF / Spearazon
    EgoToAshes (Slayer) - Level 61 Pheonix Strike Assassin

And my absolute favorite: my level 39 Act 5 Normal Throw Barb...

Chuck.
    :lol:
  20. OCAU_MIKLE

OCAU_MIKLE Banned

All my characters either have the word "Mikle" or "Pikle" in their names along with a little desc about the character. eg "HammerMikle", "BlizzMikle", ect ect! This way i know what characters are what in my 50 od characters!

- ocau_mikle