Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

How casual will it be.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by ZwanZigZwolf, Apr 9, 2012. | Replies: 51 | Views: 2490

1. ZwanZigZwolf

ZwanZigZwolf IncGamers Member

How casual will it be.

It has been a little while since I have been around. I pretty much tuned out after Blizzard released the first screens of the "super armor" and they were just awful. Being so close to launch my interest in this title has been rekindled. I am concerned about how casual the game may be when compared to D2. My main concern is that it will be so casual that it will not hold my interest like the previous titles.
    Anyone else share this concern?
  2. Hideo

Hideo Banned

Re: How casual will it be.

It depends how you define "casual". The game has Inferno difficulty, which should not be for casual players. At least it seems so.
  3. mortalwombat

mortalwombat IncGamers Member

It's been a long time since D2 and gaming has changed a lot and become more mainstream and perhaps more "casual". I guess most of us who played D2 have been gaming for an additional 10 years and rarely get impressed any longer, so yes, I fear that D3 might not be as interesting in the long run.

However, from what the game looks like now I am extremely optimistic. Blizzard has learned a lot in those 10 years and WoW has taught them a thing or two when it comes to keeping people interested. I believe we will see a more challenging combat and gameplay in the higher difficulties and I can't see them messing up the high level item farming, so hopefully those two aspects alone will provide loads of playtime.
    In reality the only thing that made D2 discouraging for casuals was the time needed to get to higher levels and get the best gear. Gameplay wise you could teach a monkey, a bot or a complete newbie to play that game. D3 will be no different - if you put in the time and effort you will progress, but hopefully Inferno will force you to play smart instead of just playing a lot.
  4. skien

skien IncGamers Member

Who knows, but I have no intention sleeping before I hit 60...
  5. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

You need to count other factor in, as people are getting older, have their real life, unlike when you were a kid and could play game 24/7. This often is a huge factor, and people are blaming new games not being interesting, while you just't can't repeat same experience you had with d2, because it was in the past, when you were lot younger.
  6. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

The goal of D3 is to turn casual gamers into HARDCORE gamers like us! :D

I think it will be exactly as Blizzard has said, and as the Beta has indicated thus far:

Normal will be a happy-yay-yay-look-how-cool-I-am funfest, one-clicking monsters and seeing the forces of Hell fall before you.

But rest assured, I don't doubt Blizzard's word that Hell will be hard and that Inferno will be PUNCH-YOUR-MONITOR hard. :p
  7. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

I don't think the game looks that casual and by my gaming history i would consider myself pretty hardcore. If anything at the moment D3 looks like the most ridiculous grindfest ever and this is coming from a guy who grinded rank 14 in vanilla WoW.
  8. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

I don't have any evidence to back it up, but I do believe that Diablo 3 is shaping up to be even harder than Diablo 2 could ever get....

After all now you can't rejuv potion spam, or just flees with town portal mid-battle, plus way more gears to hunt... yup I would say that D3 is even more hardcore than D2 :p
  9. Wildmoon

Wildmoon IncGamers Member

Well, I don't think Diablo has ever been hardcore so I expect the same for D3.
  10. Ixnatifual

Ixnatifual IncGamers Member

I agree some of the high tier armour previews I've seen look horrible - like something out of World of WarCraft. I don't see how this is "casual" though. I think "power ranger" or "robot" is a more appropriate term.
  11. cozmiccc

Don't forget that you have only seen these armors from a close-up char select view... Most of the time you'll be seeing them under the default isometric view, I believe it'll look much better then.... (I don't have any problem with the armors as it is though)

12. gruenel

gruenel IncGamers Member

I think it will be far less casual than D2.

Unless your definition of "non-casual" is having really outdated game mechanics.
  13. Hideo

Hideo Banned

Sure you prefer to use fast moving sword on a wizard, to have more Disintegrate "ticks" per second, instead of plain, old FCR on a staff. How.... modern... XD

D3 mechanics are a TOTAL LAME MESS. -_-

14. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

Diablo has always been a very casual series you can just pick up and play without needing much strategy or skill, hence the massive popularity.
  15. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

first thing here casual does not = bad. i never understood where that came from. as far as i am concerned diablo has always been casual. i knew a kid who only had the use of one arm and had to stay in bed on a respirator pretty much all day long and he played D1 and D2 just fine. he was actually really good at it cause you know, D2 never required more than 1 hand. if you definition of a non-casual game is D2 then i gotta say, you must not game very much
  16. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

"Casual" is Angry Birds or Wii Sports. Literal grandmas play those; they will not play Diablo. Diablo is not casual.
  17. cozmiccc

presumably with the right stat distribution, you won't be having this problem toward the end game, as the stat of an item is way more important than a small different in DPS number

18. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

Diablo may not be the most casual but it is by no means intensive. I would say its one of the most casual games I have played, up there with sim city and tiger woods golf

19. Wildmoon

Wildmoon IncGamers Member

There was a reason why D2 were more popular than SC:BW and D3 will be more popular than SC2. It's because Diablo is casual.
  20. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

Casual to start, less casual the further you get in difficulty, until it's no longer casual. Sounds familiar, yes?