Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

How about being able to build your gear?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by MerLock, Apr 7, 2013. | Replies: 9 | Views: 968

1. MerLock

MerLock IncGamers Member

I've been mainly playing self found but with all the rng, it seems difficult for me to get an upgrade even though I don't use the AH. I believe many have expressed the same concern and believe that having the AH being the most reliable path to upgrading, the game isn't really worth playing.

So what about making a 2nd avenue for people to get reliable upgrades by playing the game?

Idea: Gear Upgrade
    Develop a system that allows us to do the following to any piece of our gear:

• Add attribute/affix
    • Remove attribute/affix
    • Modify the look

Possible Method:
    Gold is relatively worthless since it’s so inflated and it’s too easy to obtain by just buying it.

1st stage:
    Therefore, create something like the demonic essence that we have to collect. Either through a quest or blacksmith we can use this item to allow us to make the changes listed above. Since this item can impact our gear so greatly, it needs to have a low drop rate and this item, like Demonic Essence, can’t be sold or traded. Once we have enough of this item we can add a stat, remove a state or change the look of the item entirely.

Other than the chance of getting this item to drop, it partly removes the rng with drops.

2nd stage:
    Now that we have the attribute/affix we want on the item, allow us to roll for value attached to this stat with the use of more of these items+gold or just the items alone. Make the range wide, such as All resist from 1-80.

We’ve now added back rng but at least we are now working with an item what have the attribute/affix/look we want.

And of course, any item modified using this system will be account bound.
  2. sneakytails

sneakytails IncGamers Member

This is a good idea and exactly what Diablo 3 is missing, right now there is no way that a player can play in a self found personal economy and expect to get good gear out of a investment in time. Playing self found is much more REWARDING when you are getting upgrades and making progress on your gear. Without any sort of system like that its really pointless in my view, the upgrades never come and you loose interest and just quit. Even when those upgrades are not instant and far on the horizon players would still put forth the effort IF they knew they would get a return on their investment in time. If this is not changed soon in D3 then a complimentary time clock should come with your new copy of D3, because thats what it has become, a job to have fun in a game.

Right now its just a swift kick to the nuts, that's pretty much the only guarantee.

After playing POE for about a month I am much harsher on blizzard now in this regard. I play self found in POE and its really nice to use all the orbs you collect over time and modify the gear, in fact its just awesome how much CHOICE the developers in that game really wanted to give the players. Quite refreshing actually.

Playing self found is best done in a evirionment where good things can still drop but you are Not DEPENDENT on that happening, what you can depend on is using a system that gives you choices in how you approach your gear by modifying it. The player puts in the work and effort to collect the materials, makes progress and improves his or her gear and then continues on in the game. No stone walls, begging or breaking out the credit card, thats how self found should work in D3 or any game for that matter.
  3. sneakytails

sneakytails IncGamers Member

Also your idea for modifying the look of an item is a great one as well (a nice extra carrot for players) and it really plays into the strengths of Blizzard. The quality of artists that Blizzard can hire and does employ is very high, far better than other smaller developers. Bottom line is that they have the talent necessary to really hash out more visual choice. (they produce a significant amount of concept art) More looks per item type, for example having chest armors that are more understated and clean looking, and then another look that is much more Gothic and dark looking, followed by traditional fantasy type armors etc, etc. You get the idea.

Right now I have shield that looks like an Orc shield from lord of the rings. I hate how it looks. I would love to change it to a round type shield but I cant. I would grind and gather the materials to do this change for sure.

Now if they can only implement something like this.

The problem is, I can have all the cool looking art I want if the stats still are too hard to come by when playing self found then it will really matter not.
  4. MerLock

MerLock IncGamers Member

I think the beauty of such a system is that it's easy and highly tweakable. If people are finding it too easy to get the items, they can lower the drop rate further or vice versa.

At the time when a high percentage of players have achieved high level gear, they can throw in new affixes to keep things interesting as well a throw in more art styles for the gear. Then people can keep playing to keep customizing their look at try new affixes without having to rely on rng for rolls.
  5. Flux

Flux Administrator

I think the BoA is the essential part. I like the idea of customized items though, generally speaking. It can't be too easy to designer your own, but some intentionality would be good. The devs planned this all during pre-game, with the Mystic and her enchants adding stats or other desired mods to items, but that got scrapped shortly before beta. Hopefully it'll return in D3X with improvements and variety.

The problem with too much enchantments and such to items is that you buff up individual gears and then never switch out at all since you'll never find an item that ups their quality.
  6. ADest

ADest IncGamers Member

D3 would really benefit from an item system like the old Squaresoft RPG, 'Parasite Eve'. In that one, you would find items called tools, and you could use tools to move stats/mods from one item, onto another. Did your Wizard just find a 1200 DPS wand and the only mods are +50 LoH, +200 Str, +15 Max Arcane Power, increase crit chance of ray of frost by 4%? No problem, just use a tool to remove the DPS from the wand (destroying the wand) and move it onto your 800 DPS one. Then when you find a crap Amulet with +90% Crit Dmg, you can move that mod to an Amulet or ring, or weapon, and so on.

It takes FOREVER to find good stats on anything, period. And then when you do it's usually the only good stat on the item. It's infuriating how many times I've just had to vendor off godly stats because they weren't fecta items, and only had a single decent stat on them. If we could migrate stats we find it would go a long way towards solving the problem of having to rely on the AH for everything.
  7. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

It shouldn't be possible to design your iten item from the ground-up. That would take too much away from item drops themselves, which still should be the foundation.
    But being able to add 1 or two stats (and potentially reroll them if not as desired) would be great. Which stat is added should be random tbh - or at least within categories you could pick from.
    I'd rather have it random, but less expensive, so you can try your luck more times, than non-random but more expensive. Simply because too much non-random is not as fun as some randomness, when we are talking a Diablo game.

Also, when more randomness is added through item enchanting, it also means some randomness could and should be removed from item drops themselves.

Yes, this is something I would really like to see as well.
    And contrary to the other idea of adding random stats to items, moving stats from one item to another does not have to be random, since the original item you are transferring a stat from, was random in the first place.
    Some limits would have to be placed on which stats could be transfered of course, for the sake of some balance - but it wouldn't seem too gamebreaking to even allow transfers of some stats that could not originally be found on the item type. Maybe the trade-off for doing so, could just be a higher material cost.
    I'd say max one stat per item could be transfered though - again to not allow you to make a fully functional item from scratch.
  8. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

I've gained about 60k dps through crafting of the new recipes alone. All in all I've spent about 20 million so far. I'd never get such large upgrades for this kinda gold in the AH.

Now, as a wizard, I wish they'd let us craft ilvl63 weapons and ilvl62 sources. Then I'm all set.
  9. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

I like the modify the look, but I dislike the add attribute / affix and remove attribute / affix. This easily blows the game up. Only very minor improvements to gear like +10 strength or 0.1% crit would be good, at a very high price and, say, 100 of those inferno rare salvage materials, while it would make the item BoA.

This would be great, same for WD offhands and daggers too?
  10. Darksnipe

Darksnipe IncGamers Member

That's cool and all. But I on the other hand have crafted almost 6000 amulets and have not made a single one that I couldn't have bought of the AH for a maximum of 100 million. Crafting is still incredibly luck based and a huge goldsink if you are unlucky.