Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Holy Dude's Ultimate Smiter Guide

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Holy Dude, Oct 5, 2013. | Replies: 4 | Views: 2049

1. Holy Dude

Holy Dude IncGamers Member

Hello everyone. This is my first build, so I hope you enjoy it.

-Table of Contents-

1. Introduction
    2. Pros and Cons of a Smiter
    3. Stats
    4. Skills
    5. Gear
    6. Mercenary
    7. Sources

(1) INTRODUCTION
    Hello everyone. This is my first build, so I hope you enjoy it. This build, in my opinion, is the best build ever created. I worship whoever thought of it. It's my favourite build of all time, and I've never gotten tired of it. People might ask, “What is a Smiter?†A Smiter is, well, a Paladin who uses Smite. Smite is a skill that bashes the enemy with your shield, knocks them back, and stuns them. They are usually accompanied by the Fanaticism Aura, a skill favoured by all melee builds, which increases attack speed and damage at the same time.
    Smiters are famous for Ãœber Tristram, due to the fact that they can have a fairly easy day against the Prime Evils. They are good at PvP also, as long as you attack first. They have some trouble against casters such as Hammerdin, Bone Necro, Sorceress, etc., but in melee combat, they rule the Blood Moor. As I said, this is my first build, so you are more than welcome to criticize. I won't get mad, trust me.

(2) PROS AND CONS OF A SMITER
    Pros:
    -Knockback + Stun = Unstoppable
    -Master of one-on-one combat
    -Can still do well at low levels
    -Hybrids are welcome
    -Low Mana cost
    -Bosses/Super Uniques are easy
    -Can single-handedly destroy Ãœber Tristram

Cons:
    -Not great when surrounded by enemies
    -Can be a bit expensive
    -Casters are a bit frustrating

(3) STATS
    Strength: As usual, enough to be able to wear items. Putting more would be a waste of time.
    Dexterity: Enough to equip your weapon, if it has a Dexterity requirement, and for maximum chance to block, which is 75%.
    Vitality: Any extra points go here. As long as you can equip all your items, more Life Points is your target.
    Energy: You don't even need to bother putting a single point here. If you wish to make a hybrid that involves casting spells (e.g. Blessed Hammer, Fist of the Heavens), it's up to you.

(4) SKILLS
    This applies for all variations of Smiters:
    Combat Skills:
    Smite: 20. It's your main skill. Some choose to only put 1 point, but I put 20. You can put 1 if you want to make a hybrid.
    Holy Bolt: 1 (prerequisite)
    Charge: 1 (prerequisite, although I put 20 because mine is a hybrid)
    Blessed Hammer: 1 (prerequisite, unless you want a hybrid, then 20)
    Holy Shield: 20. This is what makes your Smiter strong. I always cast it first thing when I enter a game.
    Offensive Auras:
    Might: 1 (prerequisite)
    Blessed Aim: 1 (prerequisite)
    Concentration: 1 (prerequisite)
    Fanaticism: 20. Your secondary skill that never changes.
    Defensive Auras:
    Prayer: 1
    Cleansing: 1
    Defiance: 20. It increases the Defence boost Holy Shield gives you.
    Vigor: 1. You never know when you'll need it. Just for getting around, and a prerequisite for Redemption
    Redemption: 1. After an intense battle, switch to Redemption to clean the floor and gain some health. Don't do it with a Necromancer in your party or you'll never hear the last of it.
    Salvation: 1. I've never used it, so it's up to you.

At level 99, assuming you completed all quests, you would have 19 Skill Points remaining (20 if you didn't put a point in Salvation), so you can make a hybrid if you wish. I would suggest placing them into one of these:

Zeal: Good crowd control.
    Charge: I did this, and I'm pretty satisfied. Good for getting around or surprising your enemy.
    Vengeance: For monsters immune to Physical Damage.
    Blessed Hammer: Magic and Physical Damage, why not? It may involve changing your build a little.
    Fist of the Heavens: A popular hybrid, but again, it may involve changing you build a little.
    Resistance Auras: Resist Fire, Cold, and Lightning have a hidden bonus. When you put points into it, it increases your Maximum Resistance to the corresponding element.

(5) GEAR
    This is the endgame gear, but if you can't afford them, it's okay. Just look for any item with Increased Attack Speed, Enhanced Damage, Resistance bonuses, Attribute bonuses, Faster Hit Recovery, Damage Reduction, Skill Point bonuses, or anything that you're comfortable with.

Helm:
    PvP - Crown of Ages for Defence and Damage Reduction. If socketed, put in a Ber Rune for Damage Reduction.
    PvM - Harlequin Crest for the nice Life and Attributes boost. If socketed, put in an Um Rune for Resistances.
    Ãœber - Kira's Guardian for the incredible Resistance boost and Hit Recovery speed. It's a Ladder item, so it may be a bit expensive if you're non-ladder. Either way, a Harlequin Crest would be fine if you can't find one.

Armor:
    PvP - Enigma (JahIthBer) in an Archon Plate for the Strength boost. Plus, you can never get enough Damage Reduction.
    PvM/Ãœber - Chains of Honor (DolUmBerIst) in an Archon Plate for the Resistance boost. Also, it increases you Damage to Demons and Undead monsters, which is useful, especially in Ãœber Tristram. And again, Damage Reduction.

Belt:
    PvP/PvM - Verdungo's Hearty Cord for the Vitality boost and Damage Reduction.
    Ãœber - Thundergod's Vigor for the nice Defence, and Lightning Absorb for Mephisto.

Gloves:
    PvP/PvM/Ãœber - Dracul's Grasp provides a chance for Open Wounds, but mainly for the chance to cast Life Tap, a useful curse that gives you health when you attack an enemy.

Boots:
    PvP/PvM/Ãœber - Gore Rider has a nice Walk/Run Speed bonus, but also for its chance of Crushing Blow, Open Wounds, and Deadly Strike.

Primary Weapon:
    PvP - Grief (EthTirLoMalRal) in a Berserker Axe for it's amazing Attack Speed and Damage bonus.
    PvM/Ãœber - Last Wish (JahMalJahSurJahBer) in a Phase Blade for its Enhanced Damage, Chance to cast Life Tap, Charged Bolt, and Fade which boosts Resistance, and it's massive chance of Crushing Blow.

Primary Shield:
    PvP/PvM/Ãœber - Herald of Zakarum. You're probably gonna kill me when I say use this for PvP instead of Exile. This Shield adds a good amount of points to Paladin Skills, and it has a great Chance to Block. It also has tons of Resistance. Good for ANY Paladin.

Amulet:
    PvP/PvP/Ãœber - It's a battle between Highlord's Wrath, which provides Increased Attack Speed and a chance for Deadly Strike, and Mara's Kaleidoscope, which provides a nice Skill boost, Resistances, and Attribute Bonus.

Ring 1:
    PvP/PvM/Ãœber - Raven Frost. Always Raven Frost. This is mainly for the "Cannot be Frozen" mod, and the Cold Absorb for Ãœber.

Ring 2:
    PvP/PvM - Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band gives you a Life boost and the Life Stolen per Hit isn't bad as well.
    Ãœber - Dwarf Star provides a Life boost, but for Ãœber, you need the Fire Absorb.

Secondary Weapon:
    PvP/PvM/Ãœber - Call to Arms (AmnRalMalIstOhm) in a Flail, mainly for the Skills Battle Orders, which increases Life, Mana, and Stamina, and Battle Command, which increases your Skill by 1.

Secondary Shield:
    PvP/PvM/Ãœber - Spirit (TalThulOrtAmn) in a Monarch, for the Skill boost and Faster Cast Rate. It is only needed to boost the Skills Battle Orders and Battle Command.

Charms:
    Annihilus - Adds to Skills, Attributes, Resistances, and Experience Gained.
    Hellfire Torch - Adds to Attributes, Resistances, and Skills. Try to find one that adds to Paladin Skills.
    Lion Branded Grand Charm x6 - This adds a Skill Point to all Combat Skills. A good suffix is "of Balance" since it increases your Hit Recovery rate.
    Small Charm of Vita x15 - This adds to your Life Points. A good prefix is "Shimmering" since it adds to Resistances.

(6) Hireling:
    A Hireling isn't really a must for Smiters, but if you want, get an Act 2 "Combat" Desert Mercenary from Normal Mode, and find these items for him:

Helm:
    PvP/PvM/Ãœber - Andariel's Visage Enhances Defence, increases Attack Speed, and gives a nice Resistance boost to Poison. Socket it with a Ral Rune to get rid of that negative Fire Resistance mod.

Armor:
    PvP - Fortitude gives a massive Damage and Defence boost.
    PvM - Duriel's Shell Enhances Defence, and has wonderful Resistance boosts, along with the "Cannot be Frozen" mod.
    Ãœber - Chains of Honor (DolUmBerIst) in any Armor gives lots of Resistances and Damage to Demons and Undead.

Weapon:
    PvP/PvM/Ãœber - Breath of the Dying (VexHelElEldZodEth) in a War Pike is nice to have for the unbelievable Damage, but any Unique Spear or Polearm will do.

(7) CONCLUSION
    I hope you enjoyed my Smiter Guide, and I hope it helps you in the future. If you would like to modify you Paladin a bit, you can find help from other Smiter Guides, The Arreat Summit, D2Items Skill Planner, Diablo Wiki, or your own experiences. Have fun everyone!
  2. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I don't really see what your guide has to offer. You even said in the intro that you'd like to thank whoever (else) came up with it.
    No talk about strategy or anything and just a list of the equipment you could find from any website. I would guess there are at least 5 better guides on this site already for the smiter
  3. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

To sound less hateful than pharphis, this isnt really news to us veterans.

Its nice to get this info compiled into one place, but there are tons of smiter guides out there already.

Note:
    Monarch?
  4. Holy Dude

Thanks for the review. As I said, it's my first guide, so I'm glad to hear what I should work on and what I should change. Good info for any future builds I might make.
  5. Holy Dude

Thanks for the critique. And I agree that I shouldn't have said "thank whoever thought of it". I meant, whoever came up with the idea of the Smiter, not the build. I was hoping to combine everyone's thoughts together so this thread could get stickied (I know, sounds weird, but I get stickied a lot in other forums, so I thought it would be cool getting stickied in my favorite game). Thanks anyway. :)