Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hi guys, newcomer to Diablo 2 here.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Veristek, Feb 17, 2012. | Replies: 306 | Views: 11879

1. Veristek

Veristek IncGamers Member

Hi guys, newcomer to Diablo 2 here.

Hi, guys.

I was referred to this forum by someone over in the Diablo 2 Community forums. I heard about D3 when I was looking at info about Starcraft 2's expansion, "Heart of the Swarm" so I thought I'd check out what Diablo stuff was all about. I got Diablo 2 "Battle Chest" edition a few days ago and started playing it, so I'm still in the process of learning how to play it. I've been playing Single Player so far because I don't want to embarrass myself on Battlenet with my n00bishness and inexperience, and also to give me a feel for the game.

I've done a bit of asking around in the D2 community forum, and a bit on the Diablo Wiki. I know some basics, like potions, looting monsters, different shrines, and the "Player8" command I found on the Wiki for a boost in exp, items, and challenge. However, I still have much to learn. My current character in D2 is a Sorceress, and I'm playing a fire / ice one. I figured a Sorc would be good to start with and have fun with. I am still exploring and running around in Act I, Normal difficulty.

Here's what I have so far:

Level 9 Sorceress

Strength: 50
    Dex: 25
    Vitality: 10
    Energy: 43 (blue number)

I put in strength so that I could equip armor, so I would take less damage and hits from monsters cuz Sorc's seem to have tiny HP. I have level 1 Warmth, Fire Bolt, Frost Nova, and Ice Bolt. I have level 4 Ice Blast, and its working nicely killing most monsters in 1 - 2 hits, but is a mana hog. My equipment is pretty much what I pick off monster bodies with 3 exceptions. I bought a staff with +3 warmth and +1 charged bolts, a Ring Mail with 2 sockets (cuz I heard sockets are very important), and a belt with +6 health regen. All from the smithy and priest at the Rogue Camp.

On a side note, I read on the Wiki that some stuff on Ladders can't be used in Single Player games, and I've had no luck finding helpful players on Battlenet, so that's why I'm still on Single Player. In the community forum, I was told that there's a way to make Ladder stuff available in Single Player, and other benefits.

I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips or suggestions for me, any mentoring, and any particular things to watch out for (drops, gems, equipment, monsters, etc) Any help will be greatly appreciated! I hope I can get more experienced for when D3 rolls out.

2. Krupa

Krupa IncGamers Member

Re: Hi guys, newcomer to Diablo 2 here.

welcome to the wonderful time sink, that is diablo 2

the RWM - rune word mod is available for download here
    it enables the ladder only content.

for the start imo it is the best to just choose a class and play a bit without worrying too much about what is right and wrong. check out the skills stats and what not and decide for yourself what is fun and what isn´t.

if you don´t want to do that, here are two guides, that while not written for exactly what u are needing, shows nicely what are the best items/strategies to build wealth

and lastly a guide on the possible build you have chosen, another possiblitily with your skill allocation would be a Blizzballer, but i couldn´t find a guide just now

good luck

3. Veristek

Gotcha. I have another question if you don't mind. I'm trying to figure what items are worth buying in the smithy / priest. Sometimes I see resistance items, and some stuff like superior, crimson, jackal, etc. and some have sockets and others don't. Almost all the staffs I see have bonus damage against undead.

Also, should I upgrade my diamonds via shrines and socket them onto a shield for the resistances? Or do topax's instead for magic-find? I read that magic-find is very important for finding good sorc gear. I also see that sapphires give a boost to mana, which is something I *do* need quite a bit of.

4. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

The shops don't sell the best items in the game. Those are dropped by monsters. Don't worry about them by the moment, focus on understanding the game. First thing, after doing the den of evil quest you will get a reset stats/skills option. Don't use it just yet, but remember its there to correct your mess ups.

Points in energy are acceptable for a newbie, but later on you will want to get rid of those. You'll want to put them into strength for equipping items, dexterity for blocking ( you can only block with shields, but if you have a staff you can't use a shield ), vitality for more life. There are much better ways to solve mana problems. In most cases you will have to beat stuff with a stick in the early game since you don't have enough mana. By the way +damage to undead on staffs only apply to melee attacks.

The two guides linked above are very good, but they are also optimized for very harsh environments like untwinked single pass in tournaments which you may not like and they assume a lot of knowledge about the game itself. If you want to have a little easier time, PM me and I can send you a bunch of early game items so you can focus on the game without worrying much about items.

Don't play D2 to be 'prepared' for D3. D3 is a different game, and D2 is great on its own.

5. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Yes, all blunt weapon types have an inherent +50% damage when you bash undead with them.

Most guides (and tips in general) assumes you have a pretty good understanding of the game, and they will mostly just confuse people that are really new to the game.

Since this is your very first character, just go ahead and try whatever seems like the smart things to do (and in a few years time you can go back and have a laugh at your choices! Most of us have been there...)

If you have trouble making progress, come back and ask us. If we are given some details about the character and their equipment, it´s often not hard for us to tell a player why they are having trouble.

6. felixbavaria

felixbavaria IncGamers Site Pal

Base vitality is scary for a Sorceress. You'll want to invest heavily in vitality, and maybe later dexterity for blocking. I would not bother with topazes right now, they can add a boost to your magic find later but for a start, I would recommend rubies and sapphires, and later a diamond shield for resistances. Also, armor is very useful in the first act but will get rather useless later since the attack rating of monsters drastically increases.

7. Veristek

Thanks for the tips guys.

Right now, I'm running around the Cold Plains and the Cave dungeon, just exploring and killing stuff with Ice Blasts. I'm lucky to have 2 Mana Refill shrines in Cold Plains, which is really helping me keep my mana juices flowing. Although I can't go too far into the Cold Plains cave before the mana regen wears off, so I empty my mana, and run back out to the refill shrine. In my current game, the 4 shrines along the north edge of Cold Plains are 2 mana regen and 2 refill shrines. Even though trips are getting longer, its still pretty fun freezing and watching the undead shatter in a million shards. Imagine doing that in the zombie movies or shows like Walking Dead. :)

Also, is there a good way to collect more gold to buy the better items in the shops? Its being a pain picking up items dropped by monsters and run back to town to sell them, and run back to the cave dungeon I'm crawling through. I don't pick up weapons or armors cuz they take up too much inventory space, so I just pick up items with 1 space, usually posion, mana, or health potions. I noticed that the throwing knives sell for almost 500 a pop, while all other weapons I found only sell for 8 - 50 gold each. Armors sell for only 5 - 50 as well.

8. shintyguy

shintyguy IncGamers Member

Hey welcome. I only joined a few weeks ago and the knowledge here is scaryily impressive. Read the stickies and pop into the bar for some chat.

there are loads of guides. I started out with fishymancer and its so safe.

*kicks shins...

9. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Pick up scepters, wands, and staves with +skills on them... those will get you good cash in town. Also throwing knives and poison/exploding potions are good early sources of cash.

10. LD50

LD50 IncGamers Member

Jiansonz would be the one to ask about best ways to get gold, but in general, the offensive potions (strangling and fulminating) are good. If you happen to find rings or amulets, they are easily the best bet in the very beginning. Don't bother with magic armors, the id scroll may cost more than what the armor is worth. look for items that can have +skills (scepters, wands, orbs, staffs), they are the most valuable items in the game...

Welcome to the forums!! :)

edit: pwnd

edit2: also, you can just buy mana potions from akara (the "priest") so you don't have to run back and forth...

11. DaPuffin

DaPuffin IncGamers Member

Welcome to SP forums. I wish I had something witty to add to help in your quest to understand this masterpiece of a game, but alas, I don't. So, I'll sit in the corner with my Guiness and let the experts teach you the ways of the force.

12. Veristek

Update...

I just killed a yellow named guy in the cave, I think its name was Cold Crow or something, and I picked up a yellow named scepter. It has a whole bunch of bonuses, and the scepter's named "Rule Blow". I died like 5 times trying to kill this guy. I die, hit ESC, spawn back in town, waypoint teleport, and rush to where I died, picking my own corpse (how morbid is that?) and emptied my mana bar worth of ice blasts at the guy. I die again, and rinse n' repeat. It must have taken like 100 level 5 ice blasts to kill him.

Any nasty surprises like that in the next few areas? Or was he the hardest guy for a while?

13. djmbbandie

djmbbandie IncGamers Member

Congratulations! ColdCrow is one of the hardest monsters to beat early in the game because of her cold enchanted arrows. The scepter you have is rare, rare items spawn randomly through out the game from monsters and are noted by the yellow color. The second quest requires you to look for the Burial Grounds just off the Cold Plains. Follow one of the roads. If the road you take shows entering the stony field, it's the wrong one. This quest requires you to kill another ranger but she's usually fire enchanted, so it shouldnt take a lot of time. Then you get your first mercenary. Outfit her with a bow and some armor.

Oh and *Steals Wallet

Welcome to the Forums!

14. LD50

LD50 IncGamers Member

Coldcrow is definitely one of the meanest bosses in the early game. Next boss that's her equal in nastiness is Pitspawn Fouldog, in ... uh, jail lvl 2?

15. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Rakanishu (around the Stonehenge looking rocks where the portal to Tristram is) can be tough too due to his LE sparks - take care when you find him (in the Stony Field).

But, ColdCrow is probably toughest for a cold Sorc due to her resistance to cold damage (and those hurty ranged attacks).

16. Veristek

Made my way to the Burial Grounds, and man, Blood Raven was hella fast. More than half of my ice blasts missed her entirely as she zigzagged all over the place. I died to her once and came close a few times. I can't wait for AoE spells to blanket areas so fast enemies like her will take damage. Finally killed her and nice lighting bolts covered the whole screen. Pretty cool death animation.

I now have a girl following me around everywhere, so thats my first merc. I know I will get a better merc in Act II. That brings me to my next newbie question- three actually.

1. If I dismiss this merc, is she gone forever, or can I hire her back with the items, levels, stats, etc. intact?

2. Where can I see the merc's skills? All I see are her equipment (blank at the moment) and her attribute stats.

3. What's the best Act II merc for a Sorc, specifically fire / ice Sorc? Might, Defiance, Prayer, or Holy Freeze merc? I was told about these in a thread I made yesterday in the Community forums before I was referred to this single player forum. I was also told to not use Act V barb merc.

17. djmbbandie

djmbbandie IncGamers Member

1. Take her items when you want to hire a new Merc, or else you will lose the items. She basically disappears.

2. You should notice what type of arrow she fires. That is the skill that she uses. She also uses a little light-up spell that lowers defenses of the monsters. You cant see what her skill levels actually are.

3. I would say Prayer if you are making the runeword Insight in a polearm. For normal, I would suggest either prayer to heal yourself faster or Defiance to boost your defense. Blessed Aim doesnt really work with a sorc. Once you get into nightmare, it depends on if you want the Merc to kill stuff or help you by slowing monsters. Might is great for the Merc to kill monsters if you equip him properly. Holy Freeze helps by slowing down the fast monsters.

18. felixbavaria

Be sure to have at least one point in Static Field, as that will reduce bosses' health to a sliver in seconds (its damage scales with the hitpoints of your targets).

ad 1. You cannot "dismiss" mercs, but if you hire a new one, her equipment will be gone.

ad 2. A rogue merc (your "girl") fires either Cold or Fire Arrows. You should be able to tell that pretty easily. Furthermore, she uses Inner Sight to lower defense of monsters, which is completely useless for an elemental sorceress, but will make her hit more often in higher difficulties. You might want to get her a bow as soon as possible. Shop for a 3 socket Hunter's or Long Bow at Charsi's, then put chipped gems (topazes, rubies, sapphires, emeralds) into it. With that, your rogue can finish most of Act I and II by herself.

ad 3. Most sorceresses go with Prayer (double healing when combined with the Meditation aura provided by the Insight runeword, which you will be able to obtain very easily in Nightmare difficulty). Might is an option if you want to increase damage of your merc (it won't increase your elemental damage) but only available in Nightmare difficulty. Holy Freeze could be an option for Hell since it slows down Cold Immune monsters; again, only available in Nightmare difficulty. Act V mercs aren't the best choice for sorcs because they tend to attract a lot of monsters by their aggressive AI. You can get a very powerful Act II merc very easily by gambling for a Poleaxe with an "enhanced damage" modifier in Act II.

19. Veristek

I just checked my skill screen and it says that level 1 static field will "weaken enemies by 25%". Does this mean one casting will remove 25& of their max HP? Meaning 4 casts will kill anything? Or is it based on total HP remaining?

I read that holy freeze can help my sorc a lot by slowing enemies down for blizzard / meteor to hit easier, or crowd control with fireballs. Also, how much health regen does Prayer give? I currently have a belt that gives *6 health regen, and I regen roughly 1 HP every second. I know that mana regens as a % of your total mana pool. Does HP regen work the same way or is it different?

My rogue merc girl fires fire arrows cuz I saw red fiery arrows, so thats nice. Her fire arrows can supplement my level 6 ice bolts (I made level 11 by killing Blood Raven).

20. felixbavaria

Static Field will remove 25% of the remaining HPs of the target. It will not reduce a target below 33% of its total HP in Nightmare and 50% in Hell. The level of the Prayer aura is merc level / 15 (I think), so the amount of health regenerated can be looked up in the Paladin skills. It works differently than items that give "Replenish Life +X", which is almost completely useless.