Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Here is the cheapest and smallest PC that should be guaranteed to run D3 maxed

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by dawgma, Apr 27, 2012. | Replies: 13 | Views: 1410

1. dawgma

dawgma IncGamers Member

Here is the cheapest and smallest PC that should be guaranteed to run D3 maxed

The goal of this build was to make the smallest form factor PC that could also play D3 on max settings. I wanted my machine to be portable yet powerful. And cost as little as possible, of course.

I looked extensively at trying to build a "slim case" mini-ITX PC (about the size of an Xbox 360) but the best graphics card that I could find that would fit in a slim case was low-profile Radeon HD 6670. I don't believe the 6670 has what it takes to consistently run D3 on high at 1920x1080 (my TV). So I was forced to choose a slightly larger cube-shaped case that would hold a standard sized graphics card.

D3 Compact Build - $508

GPU = PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 6850 ($145)
    CASE & 450W PSU = SILVERSTONE Sugo Series SG05BB-450 ($130)
    CPU = Intel Celeron G530 ($50)
    MOTHERBOARD = Foxconn H61S LGA ($55)
    *RAM = G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) ($38)
    SSD = Intel 330 Series Maple Crest 60GB ($90)

I know there is a tendency to flee at the sight of the word "Celeron", but the G530 is really something else. A great bargain for $50. The GPU is going to be doing all of the heavy lifting anyway, so the G530 should be more than adequate.

I don't need a large hard drive. Not much will be installed on this PC and I have external HD's for all my saved media anyway. I may add a HD in the future, but for now the SSD suits my needs perfectly and the price is amazing. Even if I swapped it out for a traditional hard drive I'm not saving much money at all.

If anyone sees any compatibility issues with the components I've selected please let me know. Also, if you have any recommendations to lower the costs I'm all ears. And if there is a way to build an actual Slim Case Mini-ITX build that would run D3 maxed out at 1920x1080, please share!

* Switched RAM to: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB ($40)
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. The Magic

The Magic IncGamers Member

Re: Here is the cheapest and smallest PC that should be guaranteed to run D3 maxed

No HDMI on the Foxconn if I remember correctly. Tack on for the VGA to HDMI ;)

I rather get the EVGA 550 Ti for 140 than the 6850 for 145. Thats just me though.
  3. dawgma

dawgma IncGamers Member

Re: Here is the cheapest and smallest PC that should be guaranteed to run D3 maxed

The Radeon gives me HDMI. Are you saying the mobo won't support the HDMI on the graphics card? I don't need onboard HDMI on the mobo.

Also, it's my understanding that the 6850 is a better card than the 550 Ti. Quite a bit better in fact... so an extra $5 is easily worth the jump for me. I have no devotion to Nvidia or ATI. I just want the best bang for my buck and I think the 6850 gives me that. Why do you suggest the 550 Ti?

4. JWBS

JWBS IncGamers Member

Nvidia fan I suppose? My last card was 8800 gt, like yourself I'm not loyal to one company or the other so I got the sapphire 6870. This one is only a few $ more than the 6850 you picked.

/actually seems a lot of people aren't happy with it, though I've read good stuff on review sites.
  5. Tilitoon

Tilitoon IncGamers Member

This should work. For the price and size it would be hard to find something that would perform better. The components aren't top quality but it's not a big deal, as long as you can play DIII @ max for $508 I'd say we have a winner. Let us know how the installation goes and also your fps in the game.
  6. beltt

beltt IncGamers Member

Does the processor support 1333 RAM? Or does the "Integrated Memory Controller" in this chart mean something else?
    http://compare-processors.com/intel-pentium-g630-vs-celeron-g530/2782/

I guess a Pentium g630 will run D3 with everything maxed without any probs with a Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 1GB GDDR5?

Regards Beltt
  7. dawgma

dawgma IncGamers Member

My goal is to be able to run D3 on high, smoothly, even when there are 4 players spamming spells against a screen full of enemies. I think there may be cards below the 6850 that could do this, but I'm not entirely convinced. The 6850 is where I start to feel confident about high end performance... and I am really trying to keep the price as low as possible. So unless you have serious concerns about the 6850 playing D3 on high then I don't really want to price creep my build any further. I'm really not going to be playing other games on this. Beyond D3 it's just a general purpose HTPC and web surfing machine.

Will do.

Thanks for the heads up. I've looked into it and it seems that as long as the mobo supports 1333 it should be fine. However, since the CPU can't take advantage of the extra Mhz anyway, I will switch to 1066 ram. Thanks!

8. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

And here I am looking at $1300 computers :p
  9. dawgma

dawgma IncGamers Member

Uh oh. Just thought of something. How am I going to get wireless networking on this? It doesn't have onboard Wifi and mini-ITX mobos only have the one PCI-e slot. Are there wireless cards that plugs into the LAN port? Or something?
  10. Tilitoon

Yea it would have down clocked to 1066Mhz anyway, so both memory would work. You have better timings with the RipJaws though. Hopefully the heat spreaders won't cause any issues with that small case, I don't think it'll make a big difference, you should be fine.

USB.

11. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

so you're going to carry your TV around with you too ?
    if not (and you're always going to be playing at home on your TV) then why go to the trouble of making the computer portable ?

12. dawgma

dawgma IncGamers Member

USB. Right. For some reason I was thinking the interface was too slow... but I only have a 10 Mbps connection, so USB should work fine.
  13. dawgma

dawgma IncGamers Member

There are two or three places that I see myself bringing this rig over to. All of them have a TV I can plug into.

Also.. I have a 24" computer monitor. I just prefer to play games on the TV. If I had to, I could bring the monitor with me too. Though I much prefer to just plug into another TV.

As is, this build should slide into a backpack or small duffle bag, which I think works quite well. I'm 6'4" and a fit 200 lbs. I don't see carrying this thing around as a burden ;)

14. Tilitoon

Plus a small cube looks better and blends better with the living room set than a standard ATX tower.