Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

help with new PC solely for Diablo 3!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by mephistos uncle greg, Mar 29, 2012. | Replies: 15 | Views: 1304

1. mephistos uncle greg

mephistos uncle greg IncGamers Member

help with new PC solely for Diablo 3!

i've been fiddling with different builds and configs trying to get myself ready for the release of D3... found myself about to drop $1700 on a new comp just to be certain i will be able to run it at max settings at a constant 60 fps ... well now i'm starting to wonder if i really need to spend that much. that being said, does anyone know roughly how much one would need to spend on a new rig to be able to run D3 at max settings at a constant 60 fps?? any input and advice would be greatly appreciated.. have to make my decision quick and get this build underway... thanks in advance!
  2. Dudzy

Dudzy IncGamers Site Pal

Re: help with new PC solely for Diablo 3!

You dont need a ton to play this game, that said if you want to play other games more is better.

I'll go ahead and say that basically any custom build in the 1000+ range is going to max diablo 3.
  3. Bowzer

Bowzer <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a><br>D

If you do your research and get mid range component's, you could get a rig that will max diablo 3 for between 600-800 dollars not including a monitor.
  4. mephistos uncle greg

i heard if it can run starcraft 2 on max settings it will be able to run d3 , is this true?
  5. Dudzy

Dudzy IncGamers Site Pal

Yea, if you can max SC2 you will be able to play d3. (Assuming you mean max it at a playable framerate and a decent res.)
  6. mephistos uncle greg

so this is what i'm pretty sure i'm going with, gonna have cyberpower build it for me, with their march madness sales going on it would only be about roughly $100 cheaper if i built it myself... and they do it all for me so... here it is, keep in mind my goal is to run diablo 3 at a constant 60 fps on max settings on 1920x1080 res..

• BLUETOOTH: None
    • CAS: * Apevia X-Cruiser 2 Mid-Tower Case w/ Side-Panel Window & MultiMeter Display [+3] (Black Color)
    • CASUPGRADE: None
    • CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
    • CD2: None
    • COOLANT: Standard Coolant
    • CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2550K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
    • CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
    • ENGRAVING: None
    • FA_HDD: None
    • FAN: Thermaltake FRIO Overclocking Cooler Fan (CLP0564) [+20]
    • FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
    • GLASSES: None
    • HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
    • HDD2: None
    • HEADSET1: Connectland™ Stereo Headphone with Microphone [+8]
    • IEEE_CARD: None
    • IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    • KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
    • MB_SRT: None
    • MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+3] (Corsair Vengeance)
    • MONITOR: 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 Asus VS247H-P LCD [+157]
    • MONITOR2: None
    • MONITOR3: None
    • MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX/SLI] GigaByte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX MB w/ Lucid Virtu + Intel Smart Response Technology & 7.1 Dolby Home Theater Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (All Venom OC Certified) [+23]
    • MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
    • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    • NOISEREDUCE1: Power Supply Gasket [+5]
    • NOISEREDUCE2: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]
    • OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
    • OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
    • POWERSUPPLY: * 650 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+73]
    • RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS
    • SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
    • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    • SPEAKERS: None
    • TEMP: None
    • TUNING: None
    • TVRC: None
    • USB: None
    • USBFLASH: None
    • USBHD: None
    • USBX: None
    • VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+101] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
    • VIDEO2: None
    • VIDEO3: None
    • WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11n 150Mbps Network Interface Card [+19]
    • _PRICE: (+1353)

opinions? thanks in advance..
  7. Autti

Autti IncGamers Member

Sandy bridge quadcore i5-2500k would be the best bet (you don't need hyperthreading so save $100), take your pick of motherboard.
    I personally like Asus.

Graphics card, above a 560ti from Nvidia and the 7870 from AMD, some prefer one brand over the other. This will easily max D3, but you will probably want to play other games so don't skimp on your gfx card.

2x4Gb Ram. Really doesn't matter, G.Skill i like the most and are cheap, the snipers are very good.

650W Power supply, preferably Gold rated, means you can SLI/Crossfire if you want and realiable/quiet. Power supplies are important, dont get cheap ones as they can ruin everything.

Case is your choice, After market heatsink for noise reduction. and whatever storage you would like.

I'm not sure of prices in the US. No doubt a lot cheaper than Aus, but if you get a 560ti/7870 and up you're going to have no problems, and should come around $1000

From your build. Don't get that Motherboard. Gigabyte had terrible problems with their Z68 range. Also don't get a 2GB 560, get a 1Gb 560ti, far faster and you don't need the vram.
  8. mephistos uncle greg

i know the 560 is just below the 560ti but you think i'll still be fine with the 560gtx, or should i pay the $90 extra for the 560ti?? and should i get 2x4 gb instead of 4x2??

9. Autti

Autti IncGamers Member

you've got 4gb by 2 in that build. 2 sticks, 4gb each stick :thumbup:

10. mephistos uncle greg

so should i spring the extra 90 bucks for the 560ti rather than just the 560? OR should i just go with amd 7770 instead of either

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  11. Fornica

Fornica IncGamers Member

You forgot the most important thing : SSD
  12. The Rockman

The Rockman IncGamers Member

I recommend that you do some research on Benchmarks ratings for all 3 and then pick the one that looks the best based on what games you play. All of them should be fine for D3 though.

Anyway the important bits in you PC are the CPU & graphics card, the motherboard just need to be a decent one that works with your CPU, PSU well 650W+ well known brand, memory get 4+ GBs dont really matter what type really (as long as it not to old), stuff like DVD mouse keyboard etc anything will do here. BTW you dont really need the wireless networking (wired does the job better really).

As for SSD well I would say not needed (makes a minimal differnce unless your starting and stopping a lot).

13. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i just built my wife a pc for 700 that can run skyrim on max so i assume it will handle d3 just fine. this of course had no software or monitor. one thing i recommend is use newegg. build your pc however you want it then go and search for each part separately. you will find that you can save yourself quite a bit of money. i like the newegg site the best thats why i use it but i find myself buying the actual parts from all over the place. also take shipping into consideration. many places will offer free shipping but some wont no matter what
  14. Buu

Buu IncGamers Member

I've got a 6870 and it ran the beta at 60+ fps with all max/most max settings. I've heard a 6850 performs pretty much the same as well.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/
    I used this site to organize what parts I'd get.

Newegg and Amazon is where I got my parts from.
  15. InertBlowfish

InertBlowfish IncGamers Member

You forgot the massive D3 engraving necessary for a sole-use D3 computer.:propeller:
    I would suggest Asus components.
    Never had any problems with Asus, and I've built a few computers.
    I'll just reiterate what another guy said - DON'T SKIMP ON THE POWER SUPPLY.
    Do your research on them, or they will bite you.
    I wouldn't suggest SSD's. A 7200RPM standard drive is better for long-session gaming, in my opinion.
  16. Dnttryme

Dnttryme Banned

If you are willing to drop that type of cash, seriously look into getting a 2560x1440 IPS monitor. Once you see a game in a monitor like this there is just no going back. D3 is ****ing amazing at this resolution on an IPS panel. I recommend the Hazro HZ27WC. If you are in the states it will have to be shipped from over seas, but it is worth it. Not having a thick anti-gloss coating over the monitor makes the colors and image quality out of this world.

Even with the over seas shipping costs it is still cheaper than most other 2560x1440 IPS displays at $650 including shipping.

You will definitely thank me if you take this advice, and a 27" 2560x1440 IPS display will last you a long long time. D3 on a monitor like this is like a different game compared to 1080p TN monitors.