Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Help with my hammerdin

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Apostrof, Jan 29, 2013. | Replies: 6 | Views: 1755

1. Apostrof

Apostrof IncGamers Member

Lvl. 90, has HOTO, Spirit in 40+ res pala shield, Shaco, Magefist, Arachnid, War Travelers, and blue rings/neck with fhr and resists. No enigma yet, i still use Smoke. Anyway with a couple of skiller gc i have +11 on skills and do over 8k dmg with 125fcr, 75% block, 4k defense and 2k health with sage, all resistances maxed. This is my sp character.

I die a lot. Every second time i come down the stairs to last level of WSK i see like 10+ lightning shooting ghosts that just one shot me, if i get surrounded by 5+ melee monsters i die in a sec, archers practically stun lock me all the time. And even on players 1 i need 4-5 hammers to kill most mobs.

What am i dong wrong, i know hammerdins arent that great without enigma but i am managing fine with repositioning with charge etc, and i also have puzzler on switch. My damage is kinda low, and i dont see how can it get any better. And my survivability is awful. Anything i can do to improve this, any general tips about playing hammerdins without enigma? My barbarian does better in hell that this guy, and i dont have nearly as good gear on him.
  2. HvnlyImpresion

HvnlyImpresion IncGamers Member

Would say your resists against those particular mobs are ruining you. Then again those mobs kill most hammerdins. Try to get yourself a hoz or any high resists gear. Your hammer damage is enough tbh.
  3. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

I second the Herald of Zakarum, if you can get one. It really helps. I did use Enigma on my hammerdin, so I can't speak from experience on that aspect. What level is your Holy Shield? Both your defense and health seem a bit low, which might be why gloams are killing you even with maxed lightning resistance. Having a bigger red bubble is one of the only things you could do to fix that. Well, you could also get some absorb if you really want to. Not necessary, but it's nice.
  4. Apostrof

Apostrof IncGamers Member

I think spirit is better, it gives me 22 vita, 100 mana, 76% in all resists (fire is 41%) and also 35%fcr and 55%fhr, if i drop it im in trouble.

I dont really know how to improve my health, cant afford call to arms and i dont have space for more charms (and cant really afford pala skills + vita charms)

Holy shield is only level 6, i put points in holy bolt to kill second baal wave faster.
  5. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

First of all, don't use the oak sage from Hoto. It dies a lot when you want it the most . Call to arms would be better but without CTA, okay maybe use the oak sage charges, but don't rely on it.

Against gloams, yea well hammerdins aren't great against those, especially w/o enigma. You can get t-gods if it really bothers you.

It might be a good idea to stick to some easy area (eg. the Pits ) until you have a little better gear.
  6. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

I use an upped Herald of Zakarum with an Um rune. FCR is pretty readily obtainable from other equipment that I'd probably be using anyway. The vitality and resists are comparable to what you get from your Spirit, but I also get a large boost to strength, which saves more point for vitality, a much higher block rating, which means less dexterity needed for max block and therefore more points into vitality, a whole lot more defense, a faster block rate, and more +skills. If the faster hit recovery is that valuable to you or you're that attached to Spirit for other reasons, then of course you'd be fine with Spirit instead. But "better" strikes me as a bit of a stretch.

Well, other than the obvious Enigma and better jewelry, your equipment seems pretty standard anyway. Maybe Sandstorm Trek? Not a big difference, but worth looking into.

I don't know what kind of switch equipment you have at your disposal. I used to Smite my way through Achmel's mob and preferred that to Holy Bolt. Now my hammerdin has a Grief PB and an Exile shield on switch, which might be a bit much, but I'm pretty sure that he can clear Achmel's with his switch weapon/shield (with a one-point Zeal) faster than any paladin using Holy Bolt (but not Fist of the Heavens). I forget what switch weapon/shield I was using before I put Grief/Exile on him and I'm not sure what good options might be. Maybe Stormlash? I'd think that a one-point Zeal or Smite with some decent gear is way better against magic-immune monsters than Holy Bolt.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  7. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

You don't really need 125fcr, 75 is enough. The only time I've ever used 125fcr was on a Pit running Hammerdin, and that was because I just happened to get that much.