Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with defending against iron maiden

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Greekscreech, Jun 14, 2005. | Replies: 18 | Views: 1379

1. Greekscreech

Greekscreech IncGamers Member

Help with defending against iron maiden

Hi,

So my pally build, which can be found at http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=351409,
    Is having huge problems fighting monsters that cast iron maiden? What can I do to stop this? more dam reduction? more life? I am really getting frustrated in the chaos sanct and just before baal's minnions. Help!!!!!
  2. Baalslayerrr

Baalslayerrr IncGamers Member

Hehe. Yeah its frustrating isn't it? There really isn't much you can do about this. If you have good base life (around 1.4k or higher) and 50% dmg reduce (the max in 1.10) then thats about your best protection. Remember, Iron maiden makes your attack dmg done to yourself. So when you hit one of those punks with your EbotdZ then its like your actually hitting yourself with it. Its like your dueling another paladin exactly like your own. But yeah, there really isnt anything you can do about it, especially if your using a good weapon
  3. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Well i have a zeal-smiter fanatic pally and his weapon switch is specially designed to kill OB Knights and PIs hehe. I use a 'Passion' Cryptic Sword (runes are a joke) and 'Spirit' Sacred Targe (ditto) With these and highlords i have +4 berserk and i just zerk away under Iron Maiden as my physical damage is converted to magical hehe. With PIs i smite and get them stunned then zerk but this is not advisable with Iron Maiden as smite is physical dmg :D
  4. kvszeto

kvszeto IncGamers Member

other weapons

Im also currently working on a avenger with botd zerker. I have a few suggestions.

1. try a quick low damage weapon (phase blade) equiped with gems and runes Or magical or rare weapons with elemental damage. then switch to zeal and try to zeal the oblivion knight to death. not entirely reliable but cheap and still works to a certain degree

2. Bows and other ranged weapons with elemental damage, (Harmony RW, Glimmershred, Hellrack, Buriza might work, and bows with gems/rune or magic/rare mods) much more reliable and safe but can be more diffucult to come by. I personally like the glimmershred but i cant use till lvl 70
  5. GodObelisk

GodObelisk IncGamers Member

U can also put in 1 pt in vengence. Use vengence whenever u are in act4 CS. Also make sure ur merc is there to tank, when merc die retreat, revive merc and come back.
  6. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

Does the passion thing really works?

Passion in a cryptic Sword and Spirit?

Can you do CS single?

Can u leech when using it?

Bert
  7. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

I would be terribly dissapointed with myself it this combo doesn't work as i would be spreading bad info hehe. In fact Jordy has an excellent 'Relinquisher' guide to the berserking pally :D Hmm well it works but there are catches :p First a fanatic pally zerking hits at 8fpa zerk - faster than any barb ( 9fpa) but still slow compared to zeal (4fpa) Sure i can do CS but anytime i see OB Knights/Iron Maiden or PIs i weapon switch (slower kill than zeal) It meets my objective of actually killing those darned OB Knights though instead of walking away ^^ Oh i made my Spirit in a 35res all (not quite phoenix/exile material *cough*) sacred targe cos it has highest blocking and one of highest smite dmg. A Kurast/Zakarum looks cooler though. As for leech you cannot leech from beserk but when lifetap triggers (i use dracs) one could leech via smite. Again this is for PIs as smite will kill a pally under the effects of iron maiden. Ideally i would like a Passion berserker axe but i haven't found a 4 sock version to date >.< Another way i could think of to deal with PIs/Iron Maiden (more expensive) is have 'dream' r/w items and conviction up and smack em with a shaels+ele jewels/lightning facets phase blade. Points into resist lightning to synergise the holyshock aura from dream r/w in this case would be best for high lightning dmg.
  8. dyre

dyre IncGamers Member

Act 1 Merc

I use an act 1 merc for dealing with IM. She is presently using a BotD Crusader bow and does very well with it. My pally is pure zealot using fanaticism as the main aura.

For crowd control I lure the non-oblivion kights away, switch aura to cleansing to remove IM and then zeal away. Once only OK are left, she takes them down in a couple of shots.

The only setup where this does not work is when Horadrim Ancients spawn with the Oblivion Knights and revive them as fast as they get killed off. I just have to leave those games.
  9. jd20pod

jd20pod IncGamers Member

it is kind of risky but most of the time if you run right up to an OK they will cast decr. on you canceling out the IM. so I like to run right up to them wait a sec for them to cast a new curse then kill them decr. has the shortest duration so you a up an running (un-cursed) faster.
  10. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

I'll bet the Attract charges on Delirium would do the trick.
  11. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Attract doesnt work on OK's.
  12. liwei0703

liwei0703 IncGamers Member

Isn't a caduceus with faniticism better for passion than zerker?
    Is has slightly less damage but its faster than zerker.
  13. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf IncGamers Member

its way 2 easy to hit 8 fps zerk with a zerker and when i was playin the berzerk pally u can leech in 1.11 that or my pally is buggy lol

5 ways i deal with iron maiden

1. elemental damage weapon
    2. any high ele damage or physical damage bow
    3. Berzerk from passion
    4. vengeance
    5. RUN AWAY
  14. Veilside

Veilside IncGamers Member

could try using a widowmaker bow on switch and firing guided arrows at them or another possibility is to use a witchwild string bow which fires level20 magic arrows as basic attack. i prefer the wws route as it offers extra res and very high chance of doing double damage, it's also in a -10 base speed bow and always has 2 sockets.
  15. Vakarrona

Vakarrona IncGamers Member

In my opinion, Passion RW is the best/cheap option.

However, beware of mana burn monsters!!! I had a ww lance barb with an eth upped hone sundan doing fine everywhere, even in the chaos sanct! The trick was to howl everyone then taunt the victims... wow, great plan, it works wonders, until the mana burn made effect just when I was starting another Zerk attack! Bang! 1 hit death, as usual.
    No mana = no zerk attack = normal attack = death for sure.

My $2.
  16. arDAWG

arDAWG IncGamers Member

One idea I haven't seen floated (in this thread or any other regarding this topic) is to equip Rusthandle or Kingslayer as your 2nd weapon. Rusthandle give +1-3 to Veng. & Kingslayer +1 (I have a +3 variant & it gives +3 to Thorns). I keep it in my stash until I reach Chaos or WSK/ToD. The upside is a Zealot has to invest no points in Vengeance. It can be upgraded to excectional (Ral, Sol, PEmerald) and then to elite for hell (lum, pul, PEmerald), if you can spare the runes. It also doesn't hurt to Shael it. As for Kingslayer, it's one of my favorite NL runewords (-25 ITD, 33CB & 50% OW). ;)

**EDIT** I'm not selling Passion short, just mentioning RH & KS as an option for purists (who don't wanna use other class skills) & also Rusthandle has low req's (37 str / clvl18) so it can be used in Normal mode---which can't be said for KS or Passion. IIRC, Passion had a min lvl of 43, based on the Lem rune. Most ppl. aren't at this lvl in Normal Chaos, unless they're really, really dragging it out.
  17. kingdryland

kingdryland IncGamers Member

I vote for gimmershreds as well. They can be held against phsy immunes/stone skin and thrown when under Iron Maiden. Way better than a bow because they can be combined with a high def/block/res shield...I use them a lot,with ancient's pledge or sanctuary or zaka or so...
  18. crusader

crusader IncGamers Member

Hello,
    a friend of mine is a fana/zeal pally and uses a act I merc to great sucess for killing OK. You can also use lawbringer runeword in a phase blade or even something like a long sword (fast and with low base damage). It has no enhanced damage, so you wont get yourself killed too fast. With the decrep and sanctuary aura from lawbringen you should bring them down fairly easily (and safe). Sanctuary does magic damage, so IM shouldnt return the damage
    Lawbringer
    3 Socket Swords/Hammers/Scepters
    Amn + Lem + Ko
    20% Chance To Cast Level 15 Decrepify On Striking
    Level 16-18 Sanctuary Aura When Equipped (varies)
    -50% Target Defense
    Adds 150-210 Fire Damage
    Adds 130-180 Cold Damage
    7% Life Stolen Per Hit
    Slain Monsters Rest In Peace
    +200-250 Defense Vs. Missile (varies)
    +10 To Dexterity
    75% Extra Gold From Monsters
  19. Valheru

Valheru IncGamers Member

yeah i thought about that too. I would make lawbringer in a warscepter or so, it has lowest damage and good speed (not as good as phaseblade but still). Exactly how much damage is reflected with iron maiden? In pvp, iron maiden damage is 1/10, so maybe this is also the case in MvP. Else even a low damage weapon would get you 1hit killed. For example a 300% iron maiden with only 300 physic damage would result in near 1000 damage per hit. I don't even dear think about the consiquenses when hitting with something like a BotD or Oath:).