Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Help- Why am I dying so much?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by Urzuxo, Jun 18, 2012. | Replies: 9 | Views: 4126

1. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Hi,

Now I've got a level 60 barbarian and am playing in act 3 hell, but the problem is that I've seemed to hit a brick wall. I keep dying at average 1-2 times per elite pack and I want to ask you all experts if there is something "wrong" with my stats, or it it's simply my play skills that need improvement.

Thanks a lot! View attachment 2102
  2. Axamas

Axamas IncGamers Member

I'll say your life and armor seem a bit low, and your resistances are very low.
    But gameplay and skills are important too....What are your skills, how do you play elite packs ?
  3. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Hm, I never would have guessed that my resistances were low! Well it's good to know at least that everything I is too low :p

I appreciate you trying to help me but I'd rather just talk about stats here, writing how I kill packs is a little hard to put down in words imo. :p
  4. Axamas

Axamas IncGamers Member

Well and what about your skills ; when fighting champion packs you must let go your big cd spell (wrath of the berserker) and have your def skills "ignore pain" ready and an escape skill available (leap/furious charge) if things go bad.

For resistance, there are some info on this forum of minimum required depending on acts and difficulty level.
    Resistance start to be needed in Hell, I read something around 100.
    Resistance is mandatory in Inferno.

Just to remind you, progression in Diablo 3 is a GEAR CHECK.
    Once you've hit lvl 60, only gear can improve your char.
  5. sifuedition

sifuedition IncGamers Member

Your health actually seems high to me at that point in the game. I think you might be better served using more strength gems to kill packs faster and gearing for more resistances. You can't soak damage with hit points. You have to have enough to survive but that is after mitigation and you will need lots of mitigation.

You will also have to be very careful about what affixes each pack has. Each one will probably take a different strategy to beat, especially as a melee. Unless you over-gear stuff in hell and beyond, you will often not be able to tank stuff. You may have to hit and run to beat packs.
  6. jawron

jawron IncGamers Member

For me resistances in hell weren't THAT needed, except for armor. The level, you are with them now, is enough. Until inferno you can pack strenght up to 1,5k and drop CotA for War Cry w/ Hardened Wrath. That would give you around 4000 armor at least, which should be enough. Hp is more than enough. Other than that it's hard to tell, because until now I didn't have the best experience with 2h barb (2x1h or 1h+shield only).

But with your money I would suggest to start looking for items with Str/All resist (don't buy anything over 100k :) ), with Vit and crit chance being nice addition and gear up with Inferno in mind (700k is more than enough for act I imo). You'll see, that Hell is a walk in the park then.
  7. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

For the sake of comparison, before I walked away (playing on HC), my 60 Barb at the end of Hell/start of Act 1 Inferno had approximately....

300 Resist All (After War Cry w/ Impunity)
    50k Life
    7K Damage
    8k Armor (After War Cry and Enchantress Buff)

The biggest Difference that jumps out immediately is that I used a shield (Just a regular 60 blue that cost me nothing, but had 53 Resist All, a lot of armor, and a 19% chance of blocking a very decent amount of damage). Shields increase your survivability a ton, and it's a pretty bad idea to go without one on a HC barb (which I guess you aren't, but you still seem concerned about dying). If you don't want a shield you'll want a much better 2 handed weapon to at least get something out of it though, because having the same DPS I had with a 1 handed weapon when you're using both hands on it is pretty poor (I wasn't spectacularly geared or anything, although I wasn't playing just self-found either).

I don't think I had 300 resists until the end of Hell though, I didn't even really go out of my way looking for any beyond what was on the armor until the end of hell. I'm convinced you don't really have to focus on resists until Inferno, although they certainly don't hurt. Moreover, your listed resists are without the 50% boost from War Cry/Impunity, so I believe you easily have enough resists to handle up to Inferno. At any rate, suffice it to say that with the above stats I never died in Hell (or Early Inferno). I'd have wanted better stats later (obviously, since the game is designed with nothing else to do), but, like I said, I walked away for an undetermined period of time.

Play-style on my Barb was super simple, and didn't take much skill. Just Dodge the Arcane beams/things that need dodging, and otherwise...
    1: Spam revenge with the rune that doubles it's triggering rate. This will keep you alive against almost any pack in Hell or lower that's not a bunch of nasty elites.
    2: If it is a bunch of nasty elites, open with WoTB/Insanity, and then use Earthquake. This will burn down anything around you super fast. Try to get your Frenzy to 5/5 first for the max damage using Maniac (which I think is a better rune for it than sidearm... if you'd rather use sidearm, suit yourself).
    3: You don't play HC, so maybe you don't care, but Deffensive passives saved me. I used the one that had -20% non physical damage, and then the two other defensive ones (Tough as Nails and.... name of the second is escaping me. It should be easy to spot though). The physical damage passives are fun, but you can give them up to avoid dying. And in Inferno you kind of have to anyways, so you might as well start in Hell.

Edit: Yeah, I don't like your skill set up. D3 is poorly designed, and some skill set ups just work much better than others.

Using Frenzy + Maniac as Primary attack + 5/5 charges +Wrath of the Berserk + Earthquake simply melts elite packs, and Frenzy is a superb single target attack. You don't have to care that frenzy is a poor multitarget attack because Revenge is so good you practically must use it - this will keep you healed and serve as a good multitarget attack. WOTB also gets you out of roots/binds (even Diablo's cage) and prevents freezing.

You need one "get out" move. Barb has two options imo - either Leap with the 300% Armor bonus for 4 seconds (a /huge/ bonus) or Dashing Charge with Dreadnought (for extra healing). Leap gets you over walls, which is handy. Dreadnought gets you out of roots and heals you which is handy. Both can work, but you need one. I always had Frenzy as primary and one of these two as secondary to quickly escape.

Finally, you need War Cry (usually with Impunity). +20% Armor is nice, and +50% Resist all is fantastic.

You don't have much choice in your skills.

I see you have the ground-stomp. I used that instead of WoTB until late Hell/Inferno, when Earthquake alone couldn't reliably burn down elites by itself. Thats when I switched in WoTB. I hated loosing that cc ability, but it was worth it. Crowds of trash don't kill you, Elites do. You 100% need a way to take them down fast. Frenzy + WOTB + Earthquake synergize, and give you that way.

I don't suspect your problem is actual skill. Very little of that is involved in D3. It's just requires a gear check plus a basic understanding of what skills/runes to set. I'm sure you can do it other ways with your barb, especially on SC, but the outline above shows the thought process you want in picking your skills and at least one example of a well-synergized set.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  8. jeremyrx

jeremyrx IncGamers Member

You need more armor for where you are in the game; and as mentioned in Inferno you will need much higher resists. Easiest way to upgrade is to get a shield. For the gold you have saved up you should be able to snag a 800+ dps weapon and have plenty left over for any other gear you may want to upgrade.
  9. jffun

jffun IncGamers Member

Try to replace Call of the Ancients with Revenge/Provocation if you have survival issues.
  10. DoxieVon

DoxieVon IncGamers Member

Your greatest problem is you have 0 life on hit. Get Some.