Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help w/ HC monk.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Serienmorder, Sep 11, 2013. | Replies: 10 | Views: 1198

1. Serienmorder

Serienmorder IncGamers Member

I'll start by saying Hi, since I am new to the site and new to HC. I've been playing D3 since launch so the game is nothing new to me. I stopped playing about October of 2012 and recently decided to come back to play and didn't want the same experience as I had when I started so I made 2 hc toons 1 barb and 1 monk, well my barb died at para. level 9 the other day from fallen maniacs. The build though was very similar to my core dps builds I used, just run through and ww everything. Well this time on my monk I don't want to make the same mistake, so I scraped up all the gold in D3 i could get, gear from friends, and even traded some WoW gold for HC gold to some people I know and got my current set, so needless to say I don't feel like dying this early on again. I can farm mp1-2 in a1 pretty easily, but on a3 I'm afraid to go much higher than mp1. Just trying to get some help/input on what a lot of HC monks are doing now.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ChuckNorris-1637/

PS. I've been staying far, far away from maniacs.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  2. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Welcome!

More than enough DPS for MP5 but your resistance and sustain are low. Get more life steal or LOH and more AR/arcane to progress to higher MP's.

PS A3 is mean, A3 MP3 is like A1 MP5.
    PS2 You should be able to incur an entire pack of maniacs as a monk if you ask me, if you can't your EHP is too low.
  3. Serienmorder

My AR is sitting at about 710 total w/ OwE, I also have another weapon but much lower dps, but it has about 800 LoH on it. Been trying to craft bracers and gloves but can't seem to get a nice roll.
  4. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

710 is not bad, 800-900 is ideal though. Your life is a bit lowish, 70-80k would be more comfortable with those resists.

LOH can only spawn on weapons, rings and ammies (besides BT pants :p). DPS isn't that important, I've got "only" 65-70k DPS with 3% life steal and 1.5k LOH and farm MP4 /ubers MP6 without breaking sweat. Being able to tank everyhting means no running around means effective DPS :)

So no problem losing some DPS if it means you gain EHP and sustain. I see lots of 100+k monks owning MP1 but not daring to go higher because they're fragile. My DPS really is enough to go reasonably fast through MP4. Cyclone + overawe all the time and mobs die fairly quickly. Cyclone strike in combination with Sweeping wind is pure win :)

http://d3up.com/b/771661 my monk for reference (MP4 farming spec, for ubers I swap my hellfire and amulet)
  5. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Agree with all Grishok said. With dmg above 70 k I go for life steal instead of LoH.

Get a life steal weapon, look for lower dmg but with high main stats (dex/vit) to save some gold.

Here is your char in d3up btw, get to know that website if you have not already. Your stats look really nice but I would want higher EHP and better sustain to play >MP5. :)

http://d3up.com/b/1052197/chucknorris-1637

I guess a weapon like mine should be around 5-10 million,
    http://d3up.com/i/11700239
  6. Aahzmadius

Aahzmadius IncGamers Member

And I'm just going to post that, if you're looking for people to group with, feel free to add me. Why? We're "neighbors." I have a wizard that can farm MP3 (Act 1, haven't tested in A3) and a barb that can group at the MP4-5 level. If you prefer solo play...you can safely ignore this message. :)
  7. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

You worst item by the way is your amulet. Start there if you look for an upgrade.

To evaluate this I look at the Gear tab on D3up. Your amulet only contributes to 9% DPS and 4,4% EHP for a combined contribution of 13,4%. That is a low value for an amulet, aim for at least 15%, preferably 16%.

Also you can use a better helm since you do not take advantage of the set bonus anyway. Rare helms are cheap compared to set helms.

A Dex/Vit/CC/Resist helm with better stats than what you have should not be too expensive. Don't forget to look for the %Life stat on helms too, and socket of course.

Your off hand can also improve, I would get rid of the shield at this DPS/EHP level and get a weapon as off-hand. Example here: http://d3up.com/i/11834343
  8. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Damn, nice offhand :)
  9. Serienmorder

If I went w/ dw, what would be an ideal amount of life/damage to go w/?
  10. Serienmorder

Since I changed up some gear I managed to get http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/chucknorris-1637/hero/36412134. The only bad thing is since I equipped the ammy I crafted my ar went to 670. I checked around the ah and there isn't a large selection for the gear that I am looking for.

I have a Won Khim sitting in my stash w/ 850 dps, 170 dex, 840 loh, and 97 cd also.
  11. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Nice, you are at 70 k DPS and 1070 k EHP now (previously it was 76 k DPS nd 850 k EHP IIRC). Those numbers are good for MP5-7 (including Ãœbers) depending on solo/party play etc. And you got a much better amulet I see. :)

But you still lack sustain. An off-hand like the one I linked earlier would give you +12% DPS (78.6 k DPS) and -9% EHP (970 k EHP). But more importantly, it would give you life steal. Life steal at 78 k DPS is working really well.

I really advice you to toss that shield and go dual wield. The sustain is what makes you survive high MP's, the shield just makes you loose life slower, it does not help getting it back up again. And the shield can't block most of the stuff that kill you anyway (most ground effects).