Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help me play MP with my mom ...

Discussion in 'MP Forum' started by Goldtru, Sep 9, 2013. | Replies: 18 | Views: 7009

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

Hi all,

I have a tragic tale of woe and then I need some expert help. My mom and I were estranged for 8 long years, and only reconciled when my son was born and she was undergoing surgery for cancer. She is now cancer free, but she is 70 years old. I live on the east coast USA and she lives on the west coast of Europe. As you can imagine, an 8 year gap is pretty big and it's hard to find topics of conversation that are neutral and easy. So since she got me into fantasy etc. I thought it could be great to play D2 with her online. It would give us something to talk about, it would be an activity we do together, and it would generally bring on the healing.

However, we have been unable to join each other's games, and so I need some of you awesome guys to help me.

1. TCP/IP does not work - whether I host or she hosts, we get "Cannot connect to server" messages. I can connect my laptop to my desktop over TCP/IP so I wonder if this is a permissions issue? or Firewall?

Note: I do NOT think my mom is tech savvy enough to download and install Hamachi.

2. Open Battle.net. I tried creating a game in Open Battle Net, but she could not join me, nor could I join her. We were both in the Europe realm.

3. Battle net. Again, I tried to create a game, with a password, and I was able to play, but she could not see the game in the list of games to join.

It means so much to me to get this working.

Thank you ... chocolate brownies to whoever solves the problem!
  2. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

I don't know enough about closed B.net to know why that wouldn't work. TCP/IP and Open B.net both involve the person that creates the game having the host server, and issues with port forwarding abound. I've experimented with various port-forwarding options in the past and did manage to create games that people could join, but it was sometimes tedious. If she can't install Hamachi, she's definitely not going to be able to configure that stuff, so it would be up to you. If you do Google searches on port-forwarding for Diablo II, a lot of sites come up that have instructions. Good luck.

Maybe I just have a crappy router, but sometimes I was able to get ports working properly and host games, and on other occasions it never seemed to work, although I had a friend that followed the same steps I did and was able to host games that I then joined. I think Hamachi is comparatively a lot easier, but your mileage may vary.
  3. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

Thanks. Are you a Farscape fan? I think there was a character on there called Namtar.
  4. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

I've never seen Farscape. The name comes from an ancient Mesopotamian minor god. My guess would be the show borrowed the name from the same source.
  5. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Port-forwarding would be the best way but hamachi is really really simple, tbh
  6. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

How do you do port forwarding? What does that even mean? And I'm not sure my mom can even do that. I had to walk her through installing the game properly. She thought it was supposed to take 20 mins to load! There's no way she can do Hamachi, even though I sent her a YouTube video walking you through it step by step.

Battle net is the simplest, but why can't we find each other on it?
  7. pharphis

If it's open battlenet, it's because it's crap and barely even functions. Seriously, before hamachi or LAN connections with friends i've tried open battlenet for years w/o enough success to even join someone's game. Also, make sure you're in the same realm (east, west, etc.). Closed battlenet should work but that will not include single player characters from your PC if that's a concern for you.

I don't personally know how to do port forwarding
  8. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

That makes sense. I remember back when the Internet was just becoming a thing and people were trying to sync email with old Blackberries and play MP games online, and it was a nightmare. You had to be an IT genius to get any of it to work. D2 is from that era and I doubt they have upgraded the tech. I was so shocked when I got my iphone 5 last week and everything just .... worked.

We will try regular Battle.net. If I'm around her computer at all I will try to install Hamachi for her, but seriously, my parents managed to mess up my GPS by pushing random buttons and then telling me that it didn't work. It's entirely possible that it is working and she's doing it wrong.

So in regular Battle net, if we are in the same realm, and we create the same kind of character (i.e. normal, non-ladder, or whatever) and I create a game, then she SHOULD be able to see it, yes? That is the way that it is SUPPOSED to work? There aren't any tricks I should know about or anything clever?

Does it ever get stuck behind firewalls? If so, presumably you can set your firewall to allow D2 through?
  9. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

She wouldn't have to. As far as I know, only the host ever needs to have port-forwarding set up. I could be mistaken about that. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the subject will comment. I think Hamachi has been used for Diablo II multiplayer in part because it's a lot easier than port-forwarding. Yesterday I did get port-forwarding working within a few minutes, but I had the benefit of having slogged through it before.

As for how to do it, well, it depends on your router. I could tell you how I did it, but if your router is different from mine, that may be useless. Your best bet would probably be searching for port-forwarding with the type of router you use. There was a site that had instructions for how to do it on all different kinds of routers, but I forget where I found it.

In my case, I type "192.168.1.1" into my browser and get a prompt for a username and password, both of which are, by default "admin" for some reason, which doesn't seem like much of a security measure, but whatever. This takes me to a setup page for my LinkSys router. The setup page has a tab that I click on for "applications and gaming." This page has a list of blank boxes for port ranges. I type "4000" in for both the start and end of the range on one, and "6112" in for both the start and end of the range on the other, enabled for both TCP and UDP (not sure if UDP is necessary or not). I put my internal IP address in for the IP address in both cases and check the "enabled" box, then save the settings. Not too complicated really, but it was a bit overwhelming when I first approached it. And I've had issues with the router erasing the settings (or simply never actually saving them) arbitrarily in the past, although right now they're still up from yesterday.

That's because they didn't have the port-forwarding configured, like most of the games people put up on open. The game lets people host games without ever warning them that if people try to join, they'll get "failed to join game" as an error message. Hostable games on open do exist, and I've made them. I even made some publicly available ones. Not sure why, since the result was mostly an influx of people either demanding to duel or begging for free items, but I had software that let me kick them from the game if they were too annoying.

Also note, it seems that whatever technical mumbo jumbo relating to protocols or packets or whatever other magical thing is going on, games hosted on open are just about always joinable by people that are in a LAN with the host, even if no port-forwarding is set up. Not relevant for Goldtru's case, but I thought it was interesting.
  10. pharphis

I thought she was talking about open battlenet, where I've had almost no luck in the past connecting with others.

tcp/ip, however, mostly works via LAN or hamachi or someone else having a port-forwarded system.
  11. coju

coju IncGamers Member

If you could get her to let you Remote Desktop in (built in feature in windows, iirc (I don't know how to do it) ) I would reckon you could install hamachii yourself on her computer!
    Glad you two reconnected. Hope you get this figured out!
  12. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

Amazing - we got it to work! It's a mystery to me what happens when my mother sits down at a computer.
  13. coju

coju IncGamers Member

Glad to hear! Happy gaming!
  14. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

I hope all my regular play partners appreciate how hard it's been to stay out of this thread.
  15. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

Sounds like you have interesting stuff to contribute. By all means, spill. I have a tenuous relationship with my mother, d2 is supposed to give us something in common, so that should tell you a lot right there.

On the other hand if you are choking back a bunch of "yo mama" jokes then that is probably wise. ;)
  16. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

This thread should be closed. The problem is solved, and I don't want crawlingdeadman anywhere near me.

If a mod could delete it, that would be great - I don't see how to do that.
  17. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Is it because he's crawling or because he's dead? Or is it the combination of the two?
  18. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

I believe I have been misunderstood. I in no way would ever knowingly try to ruin someone having fun with this game, especially when playing with a parent or loved one. I play with my son and we have loads of fun. I would also never knowingly be rude to a new forumite, I rather enjoy meeting new people and try to help out when I can (one reason I stayed out of this thread was that I knew I'd not be of much help).

One final thing, it is a running gag with my HC MP groups of me telling stupid "your mom" jokes which is in no way related to this thread.
  19. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

OK. Given recent experiences, you can perhaps understand where I am coming from.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.