Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help me build a tanky HC monk!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Lord_Vega, Apr 7, 2013. | Replies: 10 | Views: 2893

1. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

Allright, so here I am wanting to come back and give HC another shot, seeing as it´s the very best and most fun way of playing Diablo in :)

Now, I want to build a monk centered around 7 sided strike, which will be tanky enough and durable enough to be doing fine in HC, mainly at MP0. I have never taken a monk past level 20 or so, so I know very little about monks, but I guess serenity, mantra of conviction, thunderclap, heavenly light(?) and such other skills would be neccessary?

Please let me know what your suggestions are, I really know little about this class, but do know I want the 7SS as my spirit spender, and not extremely crazy about the cyclone speed farming build, seeing as I want to put tankiness first! ;)

Kornkills, if you have any advice after having gone through 12+ HC monks, feel free to contribute as well! :crazyeyes:

2. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/84237-the-complete-monk-guide/ is a good start.

Basically 3 popular builds:
    - FoT, overawe, sweeping wind cyclone (good solid build, viable vs. ubers). Quick 1h with a shield.
    - Bells (extremely high spike damage, bit less tanky than above build). Main skill is the bell, needs lots of spirit regen and big 2H (skorn).
    - Tempest Rush build: only for MP0, need to build everything around spirit regen. Hard to do in HC, because you have to sacrifice a lot of defense. Also big 2H (skorn again)

My build is very tanky, can do MP6 ubers comfortably: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Hippotion-2165/hero/10218909
    Kornkills usally has a more aggresive build and he has tried more builds than I have, cause he KEEPS DYING ;D (hi kornkills, see you're up to 66 already again!)

I have never gotten a place for SSS on my skill bar, because I don't really like cool down skills and I want to keep Tempest Rush, which gives me great mobility. It's not a bad skill though, and some monks use it very well.

PS Serenity has to have a place on your skill bar yes.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  3. Lord_Vega

Thanks for your answer Grishok!

That guide looks like something I will definitely have to give some good look to, thank you! :)

As for the three popular builds you mention, I guess I will have to stick to the first one, though I do not like the sweeping wind animation nor skill, and especially not the fact that it seems geared towards speed runs, when my monk will be HC and I want something closer to the rend barb in tankiness and pace.

Perhaps I could switch SW with SSS and make it work? Using mainly thunderclap as a main attack and the shortened timer SSS in between?

Would love to hear about the most common and useful passives and runes for the monk skills in HC, if you might :)

4. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Don't understand your speed comment on Sweeping Wind :) Yes, you need to keep damaging monsters to keep it up, but my playstyle is exactly the same as a rend barb, get to the nearest group, stand in the middle and attack.

Sweeping wind is just THAT good, that you'd want to use it in whatever build you have. Maybe in the Bells build, you could try without, but it is still a great skill.

For tanky passives I'd recommend:
    1. OWE
    2. NDE
    3. STI / Pacifism / Resolve

For the other builds you might want to use Exalted Soul or Fleet Footed. For 2H or dual wield Guardians an option too.

5. Lord_Vega

Well, what I meant in my speed comment is that the fact that you need to keep damaging monsters to keep it up feels very "frenzy-ish" and negligent to me, as in a style of play that promotes haste and not paying attention to details, which is not something I assocciate with playing HC. Hope that makes sense.

Was thinking of something along these lines:

Actives:
    Fists of thunder- thunderclap
    Seven sided strike- sustained attack
    Serenity-ascension
    Blinding flash- faith in the light
    Breath of heaven- Blazing wrath
    Mantra of Evasion- hard target

Passives:
    Seize the initiativ
    One with everything
    Near death experience

Sounds ok? Only thing I am really unsure of is whether mantra of evasion is any good defensively, or whether I should do what all other monks do and go with AWE for damage, though that strayes from my defensive, tanky build idea.

6. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Sounds fine. Use Time of Need or Hard Target from 1-60 and until you've got the resists/armor/life to do A3 MP0 without them, then I'd switch to overawe.

Just start playing, you can change skills anyway :)

7. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Extra tip: I try to keep up Sweeping Wind by Tempest Rushing between packs. It only works 50% of the time, because of my 2.0 attack/s I use up spirit very quickly (and build it quickly again). Best to TR to about 50% of spirit, so you can still re-activate SW afterwards.

Oh and if you want to play it more slow, you can also use the master of wind rune to increase SW duration to 20s. Less damage then cyclone, but it may suit you :)

8. Kornkills

Kornkills IncGamers Member

7 seven sided isn't needed, esp if your using a 1 hander.

TR is a better skill for that spot as gris mentioned, mobility and escape.

I've tried to be tanky (850k ehp unbuffed) and lost that monk to a computer crash, so I just run around on my current dropping bells and living the dream with 500k ehp and yea.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kornkills-1468/hero/31703768

if you do go for tanky, be sure to stack the life regen too!

9. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Good one on the regen, forgot to mention that. I'm up to 1.5k now and 95% of DCs in MP0 will not kill me. You do have to combine it with lots of armor and resists though. My tank philosphy is to minimize incoming damage (armor, resists, dodge) and maximize health regain (life steal, loh, regen, LpSS).

Kornkills, what MP can your bells build handle? If I can up my DPS a bit I'm going to give MP7 a go.

PS Sexy shorts ms. Kornkills ;D

10. Kornkills

Kornkills IncGamers Member

ive done mp6 ubers on this monk, and mp8 belail (was drunk no other reason)

Once I get some all res inna pants I can swap out my bracers for good and I should be in the 650 or so all resist range... then if I ever get the helm I want the 700 all resist range.

I have no desire to farm higher MP's as I run with a fast group currently. mp1 stone fort - keeps 2 - rakkis - fields - tower damed 1 - arreat 2 - cursed (first elite) - core - azmo we do this mp1 or 2 or even 3 in about 20-25 mins.

Bell is truly insane, and I once I hit pl100 and have all my dream gear I will be pushing the MP up for solo play for sure to see what I can handle. I do want to kill belail on mp10... and mostly to do a full inerno mp10 play through. But that is months away.

11. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Hmmm interesting, I'm quite curious how bells would play. I put your Skorn in my EHP/DPS sheet and my DPS would go up from 57k to 92k (4k lower than yours). I would have to add some spirit regen left and right, but I'd like to try it out for giggles :)

Average hit of a bell would be 270k, with crits over a million? I'd like to play a game with you, see it in action!