Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help I'm stuck on solo Baal (Normal)..

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by silverdash, Aug 7, 2013. | Replies: 16 | Views: 4330

1. silverdash

silverdash IncGamers Member

I play solo (ladder + hardcore) but I can not seem to get passed Baal on Normal with a bowazon. After like 30 shots his hp bar actually moves to the left a bit... But he heals very slowly + I never have enough gold for potions to fight him for like 1 hour straight. He also kills my valkyrie with 1-2 abilities.

What did I do wrong? Zephyr is the best bow I can build/get solo at this level afaik. I never found an amn rune (and no 3 socket high damage bow either) for an Edge bow but the edge bow seems kinda bad imo aside from the +300% dmg to demons.

Also, is freezing arrow (lvl 30 skill) still viable in hell? Because it only does about 1k cold damage on level 20 and the amazon guides say that it also adds physical damage as well. But according to the skill description in game it only applies cold damage. So which one is it?
  2. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

He shouldn't be healing at all. He just has a very high pool of hitpoints compared to all other monsters in the game. That combined with the fact that you might sometimes be hitting his clone instead of him and the low damage output of your bow is making it take forever.

It has been a long time since I played untwinked, so I'm sure other people can give better advice. But I'll give advice anyway because I feel like it. Consider trying some of these...

-Get higher in level. Possibly go through Act IV or parts of Act V in games with more players. Level 30 is pretty low to be fighting Baal. It's not hard at all with better gear, but you don't have that. This actually helps more than it might seem from the skill increases alone. Just being higher in level, by itself, actually gives you an advantage.

-Get a bow that does more damage. Almost any normal unique bow would be better than that. Edge is way better than Zephyr, if you can't get the components for it, then something else would work too. Just get something, anything, better than Zephyr. Skystrike would be good. If you could find a Skystrike, I'm sure that would work. I don't know how plausible it is to just find a Skystrike, but if you could, it would totally solve this problem. It doesn't have to be a unique bow or a runeword. There are rare bows and magic bows too! And they're better than Zephyr.

-Your resistances actually don't look too bad, but your cold resistance is your lowest one, and Baal does considerable cold damage. Bringing that up a bit might help.

-Use Guided Arrow and shoot him from a distance. You should be able to avoid most of his damage that way. Just be sure you're targeting Baal himself and not his clone or his tentacles.

-Three-socket bows aren't that hard to find and it doesn't take cubing all that many runes to get the recipe for Edge. If you want to go the runeword route, get Edge. Alternatively, the amn rune could be used to make a Peace armor, which would also help take down Normal Baal (the level 15 Valkyrie should be able to tank him pretty easily). But I'd save the runes for later, personally.

-Even if you can't get into games with more players or don't want to, going back and playing parts of Act IV and Act V would give the dual benefit of increasing your level and giving you more drops to potentially replace some of your gear. The bow is most important, but better armor and such might help too.
  3. Axamas

Axamas IncGamers Member

You are too low level and as you only play solo, you only have access to the equipment that you find...and that is an added difficulty.
    Playing as you play is certainly a very interesting challenge but you must go slowerly than in coop games !

So I' recommand you keep on farming repetively every A5 area that is easy for you ; for leveling and better stuff.
    And you can start at SHENK, do PINDLESKIN and finish at WSK (not doing BAAL) ; equip some mf items to help good drops !
    Repeat this until you are lvl 35-40.

As it had been said in the previous post, try Guided arrow or Frost arrow, and change your bow.

I can add,that you could invest extra points on your Valk if your build permits it.

Do you have a merc, considering your problems I'll recommand an A2 Defense merc , this could also help to toughen your valk.

Have fun,
  4. silverdash

Thanks for the replies.

Surviving Baal wasn't the problem. With 300-400 hp and a thawing potion now and then I will hardly take any damage at all as long as I don't go melee.
    I tried leveling in the CS and the WSK (skipping baal & minion of destruction) but the level gain got so slow after a few levels and still no usable item drops... But after a few levels my Valkyrie got strong enough to tank baal for ~15 seconds each allowing me to actually kill him. Took me about 5-6 full stacks of arrows arrows and ~150k gold on mana pots (lol) but he went down. It seems that he does regen if I stay in town too long (probably some hidden timeout that resets all creatures hp to full life after x minutes?).

I will first cow a bit and then I will now try to somehow get to the Countess hoping that she will drop something usable. In NM my res is pretty low and my damage is still... laughable. Bowazon is by FAR the most difficult class to solo hardcore with so far and she has no good low level runewords w/o twinking. Also she can't wield a shield so no +76 all res and no spirit runeword. That's gonna hurt on hell.

But Yeah more levels was the solution. It was still bad but I guess that she is simply very weak untwinked early game.

EDIT:
    This nightmare difficulty truly is a nightmare on this amazon.. Still no amn rune (Edge runeword) but I found a 3 socket grey superior edge bow. I now converted a bunch of ral,ort and tals into an amn rune. The Edge runeword in my Edge bow :p sure helps out a lot with thorns lvl 15 & the extra damage vs demons. Now I can at least kill some bosses.

I found one unique in the entire game so far (nokozan relic). The chances for a unique bow must be quiet low. In my experience they usually drop in act 4-5 NM.

EDIT:
    After some more points in Valkyrie and some +1 to all skills runewords she now seems to do over 500 damage with the merc aura and near unkillable. And quiet a few mobs kill themselves on her anyway with the lvl15 thorns aura.

EDIT:
    OMG Diablo NM dropped Titans Revenge... I'm a bowazon with no decent bow still and the game just loves to troll me with these items.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  5. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Oh, random drops. So frustrating.
  6. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

you may be able to trade that Titans for a decent bow.
  7. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

If you manage to collect enough runes and get a decent 4-socket bow, the Harmony runeword is pretty cool.
  8. silverdash

Diablo II is just not made for physical characters that want to beat the game solo HC... Beating hell is not doable without good gear and good gear doesn't drop in NM but it drops in Hell... But to get there I need the equip first...

I don't want to trade. I want to solo all the way including no muling/trading.

Yes I had that same idea and I'm farming the countess for so long (that's why my level is still kinda low + flawed gem farming)... I wanted to build a harmony Tir (3) + Ith (6) + Sol (12) + Ko (18). She should drop a ko rune (statistically) after every ~50 NM runs I read. But ~156 runs later still no ko and no lum (I cubed a smoke armor from combining hell runes, I had 7 or so) and I'm so bored from it. In fact, my rings, armor, amu (prismatic amu +16 all res combined from perfect gems), boots are only about resistances.
    The problem with Countess runs is that they give no xp. Every run that does not drop a ko rune is a 100% waste of time. My stash is all full (no muling/trading) with runes and gems and stuff like that so everything that I can't use right away will be left on the ground or sold for cash to revive my dumb merc who loves to suicide. But I need him for the might + insight + he does like 900 max damage.

And no I'm not gonna farm 27 hell runes along with 9 flawed to get that bow... Because even with that bow I will only get so far because 200-275% ed on a 10-42 dmg bow is still only ~25-130 + 9 + 450 elemental damage. -50% physical in hell + their huge hp pools -40% chance to miss... I will never get anywhere. A 10-50 damage bow is the best that can drop in NM afaik. So basically this is more or less gonna be it. Oh and my chance to hit is extremely low. This is probably caused by my low level. I need level 80-83 before I should enter hell anyway.

So... I'm still stuck. I can kill Diablo on NM with that crap Edge bow (for random crap loot + xp) and I can kill baal (but with a lot of trouble) on NM but my damage is just like on normal once again so incredibly insanely low. My Merc+Valkyrie outdamage me like 5 times. They can kill regular mobs in 1-2 hits even in the CS. But I need like 10-15 shots unless I use freezing arrow (roughly 5-7 hits).

I was somewhat considering starting over with a pure javazon. But I don't know how a javazon can kill an act boss solo. She will rape mobs even in hell with a regular act 1 normal javelin but bosses... I don't know how to do so w/o going melee.
    http://www.diablofans.com/page/tool...0k12111151d40000000000l0l4l0l0l0l110110110l00
    But I hate going back to town every minute to repair all my javelins so much.

EDIT:
    The screenshots were taken in Hell. So those are my hell resistances.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  9. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Don't tell Superdave!
  10. silverdash

As long as you can outdamage a boss's regeneration and dodge all it's abilities then yeah you could in theory eventually beat the game solo hc /players8 with only crap gear or no gear.

But I'm not super-silver-dasher. I'm just silver-dasher :p.

EDIT:
    Found a matriarchal bow. I cubed it to 3 sockets. Perhaps I will create an edge from it. 20-47 dmg and +1 skills. Will be twice the physical dmg that I currently have but if it will be enough... Dunno.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  11. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Bowas tend to be bad against act bosses. Just suck it up, you only need to kill him once, on p1.
  12. silverdash

Thanks I think I'm good now. I took a respec and found Saracen's Chance (+12 all attributes and 19 all res). I spam freezing arrow and Valkyrie on act bosses right now and FA+LF+decoy to clear the acts. Cold imune + LI are killed by my valkyrie+merc. So unless I screw up and if I can survive a FA fight vs baal for like 60 minutes (his clone will be the only problem) I should be able to go all the way trough hell and hopefully finish this game for once.

Duriel is gonna be... very interesting and another very long fight and will have to be killed using LF+valkyrie I suppose :p.

New build:
    - 20 LF
    - 15 Freezing Arrow (will max to 20)
    - 15 Cold Arrow (synergy)
    - 17 valkyrie
    - 3 decoy (will add more here)
    - 2 pierce & 2 critical
    - 1 in all other passives and prerequisites.

EDIT:
    Duriel went down by my merc+valkyrie. I don't know why/how but every 5 seconds or so she lost like 1-2 cm of her lifebar? I don't know if it was the thorns aura but she went down really fast and didn't even want to kill my merc. 3 more to go.

EDIT:
    Mephisto also died by some unknown damage source. I just stood there idle for like 45 seconds and she died on my merc+valkyrie... Anyway, 2 more to go.

I found it:
    The level 15 thorns aura from the edge runeword seems to cause it. Why it does this much damage however I don't know. Izual just killed himself with the thorns aura. W/o thorns his hp bar depleted very slowly. Now I understand why people call this the "boss killer" bow. And in hell it's a LOT more effective than in Normal/NM. Even to the point that I suspect it being bugged. Because I thought that Thorns/Iron Maiden where both nerfed + they should have a penalty in hell afaik.
    Diablo took somewhat longer to kill because of him casting spells but still... Such a lame way to win :p. 1 more to go.

EDIT:
    Still no good bow but I found an ethereal "Wrath Flight" from "Tresh Socket".

Last EDIT:
    Woohoo I beat the game solo hc untwinked pure players1 w/o necro/assassin. And these drops.. Guess who found a (crap but unique) bow after 81 levels after he beat the game? Me. See screenshot. Even though I did not find one single decent bow throughout the game I did find 2 really nice throwing weapons and after that respec in act1 Hell from pure bow to hybrid I pretty much flew through it. Thanks all.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  13. royalairfarce

royalairfarce IncGamers Member

14. silverdash

Yeah I watched super dave's story a bit. He seems to kill duriel with just the valkyrie + decoy. I did about the same I guess only with +thorns aura (which is really overpowered). Still this guy is insanely good and insanely patient. But I wanted to do it with just a bow (untwinked) but she takes like 0.0001 damage from it.

Nah I just wanted to do it once. I never solo beat hc ever before, not to mention untwinked. Just a personal achievement that I wanted :).
  15. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Didn't read everything but I didn't see any mention on boosting your merc's dmg output (do you even have one!?). Give him a runeword with crushing blow if possible, or open wounds. It will help you on those boss fights.
  16. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

You're too late. My brothers have escaped you. Er, I mean you're too late: he already beat the game.
  17. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Honestly buddy, if you want to run a bowa untwinked and enjoy it, i would do single player 1.00-1.09. In those versions its totally viable and fun to boot. 1.10 just messed up the monster life too hard for weapon damage chars