Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help Getting Jamali To Be A Better Tank

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by DeadInside.DOA, Apr 7, 2010. | Replies: 13 | Views: 1692

1. DeadInside.DOA

DeadInside.DOA IncGamers Member

Help Getting Jamali To Be A Better Tank

Hey all, I started this ladder with a Meteorb Sorc which is going really well so far. Now my merc Jamali though needs some help. He is currently wearing a Tals Mask for the LL, a 17 med battle scythe ( I gotta get him a new weapon so he kills faster) and a Shaftstop. Now he does ok for the most part but when I am Meph running I just leave him dead because Meph rocks him. But I am getting tired of reviving him over and over so that I can run something else before and after Meph.

I tend to do runs in game of Countess, Pits, Ancient Tunnels, Meph ect but I have to revive him each time after Meph because he will die. Also when he gets overwhelmed in places and does die my killing speed takes a dive because of no medition aura.

Long story short I am looking to upgrade his armor. Would it be best to upe the Shaft he is wearing or make a Stone? They both seem comparable except the Stone should max his res and the Shaft gives him DR. Shaft should be cheaper but I have the runes to make Stone so I dont think it matters. What would be the best route to take for him armor wise?
  2. Nares

Nares IncGamers Member

Re: Help Getting Jamali To Be A Better Tank

Run Meph last.:thumbup:

3. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Improve your gear (note, not your merc) and play style. Unless you are taking an awfully long time to kill Meph, merc shouldn't die. If necessary, use tele to reposition merc. If really necessary, tank Meph yourself for a few hits. You are using all of static field, fire ball, and orb, right?
  4. mesmerPT

mesmerPT IncGamers Member

Give your merc a nasty stick. I gave mine an ethereal Kelpie Snare and it considerably slows down Mephisto.

He's also wearing Shaftstop and a 14% Damage Reduction Crown of Ages. His resistances are also maxed on Hell difficulty.

The strategy: I tank Mephisto while i Static him, then i Blizzard/Ice blast him down while the merc tanks him. He always survives and the runs are very quick on /players 3. The most important item is really the Kelpie Snare. It's not hard to find and will surely calm Mephisto down.
  5. droid

droid IncGamers Member

gear isnt the problem since you cant leech Meph no matter what. Stick with the Shaft, the DR is going to outweigh the higher armor value on Stone, and his resists will improve with level anyway. The only thing that'd really help is a Vgaze for more %DR. Also, he's not Defiance, right? HF or Prayer would be the way to go, either to slow down Meph, or to offset the damage with double Prayer regen from Insight.

Dont go Kelpie, as a Meteorb you need the mana regen from Insight, as I'm sure you know.

You also do realize that you can feed potions to your merc by shift-clicking your potion hotbar, right? I might have to feed my merc 1 or 2 big purples during a Meph fight, but its definitely better than having to rez him several times or try to finish off Meph without him there to tank.
  6. Jetman

Jetman IncGamers Member

Kelpie makes 10000% difference. All you do is keep it in ur stash and switch it out just as you engage meph.

You can drink a blue or 3 to down him, it will still save you 50k a run adn the annoyance of ressing the merc.

7. DeadInside.DOA

DeadInside.DOA IncGamers Member

Thanks for all of the helpful tips! I will definately try those on my next runs. Oh and yes my merc is HF I should have said that in the beginning. So for not just Meph but general runs through the areas I mentioned is a eth bugged Stone armor or Uped Shaft the better overall armor? I am thinking its Shaft because of the DR.
  8. NDIII

NDIII IncGamers Member

Keep your merc away from mephisto (and andariel) unless your merc is dressed enough not to die without a ton of purples going his way. After probably a few million gold in rez costs I finally figured that out. You don't need anyone to tank Meph (or Andy) if you're frozen orb (or probably any ranged sorc). Keep teleporting (even on spot) every time your merc tries to close in to attack, while you shoot your spells at meph. If Meph gets close simply teleport twice past him to the other side and repeat the process.

I heard alot of awesome things about Kelpie snare on your merc but it's not needed in the slightest if you follow the above strategy. Also, there is no way I'm putting up with removing my merc's godsend meditation aura (insight runeword which gives me infinite mana for anything and keeps my energy shield going) and putting up with having to switch his weapon (that WASTES extremely valuable space in your stash/inventory when you don't need it) every mf run. :p
  9. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Yeah I also find it unnecessarily onerous to have to switch your merc's weapon midfight, it means you sacrifice 2x4 inventory space to carry down a second stick for him, plus the time it takes to switch it out could be used spamming fireballs at your target :)

But if you're going to do it, do it right...you can drop items directly on your merc's portrait to swap them out quicker, and you dont need to leave Kelpie on your merc, once he lands one hit the HST will remain permanent, so you can swap back to your harder-hitting, mana-regenerating Insight.
  10. NDIII

NDIII IncGamers Member

I didn't know you could change his gear by dropping on his portrait or that detail about how kelpie works. I typically make sure everything is clear (usually in town) and then hit "I" and "O" to start doing my business. I think I also prefer seeing my merc's stats changing in real-time as I swap his gear :p.

At any rate, as interesting as your information is, I still much rather play keep away :). Time wasted (during which you could fumble up the keys while you're not paying attention to meph or yourself which is rather important in hardcore :)), memory needed (yes, that's one more thing to remember every time :p), and inventory space wasted makes this idea a big no-no for me.

11. KillaMike

KillaMike Banned

saving merc at mephie --> merc mot trick
    at andy: teleport close to her, and tank her instead of your merc, let him kill couple of dark ones.

general style: never stop tping...
  12. NDIII

NDIII IncGamers Member

Moat 'trick' is fine and dandy but nine of ten times you do it you will need to first clear all of the boss council members who will own you in hell if you just ignore them. They're actually quite dangerous and if they spawn immune to you then your merc will be in for a dramatic fight with a lot of teleporting and potions involved. So much easier and faster to just skip them and go straight for meph than to try and do the moat trick.

edit: or are we talking about two different things here ~.~?

13. KillaMike

KillaMike Banned

yeah, we are. there is more of a torch trick to get your merc behind torch and kill mephie from there. not sure it exactly works, but pic can be found on statics threads (somewhere threre)

for me councel never was hard, 95% of the time they are just light immune, and easily handled by blizz, other 5% i just easily walk them out from mot. takes no more then 10 seconds.
  14. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

the council guys shouldnt even activate most of the time if you teleport to meph to lure him from the opposite side to the one where you will sit when casting.