Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help!! Diabdat.MPQ error when Iinstall DIABLO 1

Discussion in 'Diablo 1' started by Marach, Aug 15, 2013. | Replies: 1 | Views: 7798

1. Marach

Marach IncGamers Member

Hi everyone, I don't know exactly where I can direct this question, but anyway...
    if someone could help me I'll be very grateful though.
    I'm having trouble running Diablo 1 on my windows 7 ultimate pc (64 bits).
    I installed the game Diablo 1 for pc through the original cd version 1.00, but when I enter to play, pops up a box with the words

Data File Error:
    Diablo was unable to open the required file. Please ensure that the Diablo disc is in the CDROM drive (yes, it is!). If this problem persists, try uninstalling and reinstalling Diablo using the program "Setup.exe" on the Diablo CD-ROM

then, what I think is the main question >> The problem occurred while trying to load the file
    diabdat.mpq

I've tried running in all compatibility modes possible, from win95 to xp service pack 2. I don't think it could be a problem with scratches on cd 'cause I can run spawned version of the game, available alongside with the full version. I tried to link some of Blizzard patches for the game (drtl 109 seems to be the current version), to the game folder (C: Diablo> Diablo.exe) but the damn phrase keeps popping up again and again...
    someone please could give me a tip on how to solve it??

thx for the attention^^
  2. gtox

gtox IncGamers Member

I also have win7 64-bit, and it works fine for me using these settings:

• Navigate to the Diablo folder, and right click on Diablo.exe and select Properties.
    • Go to the Compatibility tab and check the boxes for "Run in 256 colors" and "Run in 640x480 screen resolution". This is what fixes the graphical errors.
    • DO NOT run the program in compatibility mode; this is what is causing the game to not recognize the Diabdat.mpq on the CD.
    • D-click the exe and you should be good.