Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hello!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by AnjaS, May 25, 2013. | Replies: 17 | Views: 1026

1. AnjaS

AnjaS IncGamers Member

I'm 52 years old widow and my sons bought me Diablo III for my last birthday. All was well but my "old" computer didn't have the video capability to run the game. When I told them, my sons, instead of buying me a new computer, installed LoD on my computer. So I'm now trying to play the game, but I die a lot. So can you tell me what character is the easiest to play?

Btw. I was forwarded to this site when I mentioned my problem at my work.

Anja
  2. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Fishymancer is probably the easiest, and will provide an educational experience to help with your future characters. Have fun :)
  3. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Welcome to the wonderful world that is the Single Player Forum!

Three things first:
    1) A belated happy birthday!
    2) Great sons! I hope my girl will buy me video games once she's no toddler anymore :nod:
    3) What kind of work is it, where co-workers know about the Diablo 2 SPF??? :scratchchin:

Anyways, Kitteh pointed out a great guide for a rather safe character. Mursilis's guide gives a more general overview over all classes and provides the links to various builds. Also, there are tons of guides in the stickies...but it's really a lot to read - I'd start with the two links provided.

Of course, feel free to ask any questions you have! We generally try to answer all of them.
  4. AnjaS

AnjaS IncGamers Member

I'm working in a logistics company as an analyst. I'm a mathematician (or what ever) and my job is to try to figure the future, by making better prediction systems.

Anja
  5. Mungojerry

Mungojerry IncGamers Member

Well, AnjaS, you win unexpected SPForumite entrance of the forever. Fishy is very easy to play and can go naked (no gear) through entire game. Though it is a pretty slow class. You could give javazon a go, they're a blast.

Many welcomes ja hyvää syntäri!
  6. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

You have some great friends and family!

Welcome to the forums!
  7. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Welcome to the fray! It seems that some of the traditional welcoming traditions have been forgotten, so I'll do my best...

***Steals AnjaS' wallet***
    ***Kicks AnjaS' shins***
    ***Runs away laughing maniacally... "GOOD LUUUuuuuuuuck!"

OK - Formalities aside...

Are you playing 1.12 (standard install version these days) or 1.13 (most recent patch where the runes are in orange text)? Not that it impacts your question, but will help address future potential issues.

So, yeah, Fishy is the standard n00b character, but it all depends on your style. Do you like planning ahead and letting your handywork speak for itself while you watch? Then, yes, Fishy is for you.

But, do you prefer to be directly involved in the action, taking on all comers with weapon in hand? Well, then, a Frosty Zealot (Paladin) might be your calling?

Or, do you want a character that will find the most high-value target for awesome items (Hell Mephisto) and kill him multiple times for maximun accumulation of gear for various characters? If this is the case, you might want to consider a Blizzard Sorc.

There are a lot of options, depending on how you like to play the game.

(and welcome, fellow prognosticator! I'm an actuary, so I'm familiar with attempting to see into the future)
  8. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Hello and welcome to the single player forum. I would suggest and paladin. They're one of the most versatile characters of the bat. Maybe a zealadin or whatever they're called. Its been a while for me sorry. Have fun :)
  9. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

Diablo 2 is a pretty difficult game to get into from scratch, and you'll probably find most of the guides on this forum difficult to read as many are written under the assumption the reader is at least fairly knowledgable of the game and how it works.

Honestly, I recommend you have a go with all of the characters through at least the first Act of Normal. Enjoying Diablo is more about finding your preferred style than looking for the easiest character to play with IMHO.
  10. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I don't actually have any additional information to what I've already given you (except my HF zealot guide, but I won't link it to you unless you ask as I'm not great at writing guides :p), but I just wanted to say that I think it is fantastic that people are still 'new' to D2. It makes me emotional :loving:
  11. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

1) Welcome to the forum. :)

2) Your coworkers rock! :badteeth:

I think you might have to drive home the point that you are just starting out with Diablo 2 a few times before people stop dropping technical terms they picked up over the last 15? years and actually start from the beginning.

D2 can be very daunting at first, but on the plus side, once you get the hang of it, there is enough content to keep you busy for a long time. It's just a bit of an uphill battle at first. (But it gets better with time!)
  12. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

You know, back in my days, EUs* were treated with respect and without the shin kicking (or wallet stealing or whatever ;-)

Have you decided on a character yet? Keep up up to date on how you fare and how you like the game!

*to honor Nightfish's comment: Here at the SPF female gamers are called EUs for "elite uniques" - as rare and treasured to the SPF as the "elite unique" items in Diablo are to everyone
  13. AnjaS

AnjaS IncGamers Member

I think I have to read this forums FAQ's and what not before I post more information. I read the necromancer guide and asked some question from my co-workers (not orkers of cows) and I think I start one of those.

Anja
  14. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

One very nice thing about a Fishymancer is that he's very strong early on, so I do agree that's a good starter character. Just make very sure you follow Nightfish's guide for skills and setup before taking on Duriel and Diablo.
  15. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

Welcome to the spf! My take on this is a bit of a combination from Nightfish and Japanzaman. Try whatever you think you might enjoy. Seriously. There are cookie cutter builds for every class that will get you through the game no problem, but a lot of the fun is trying what you think you might like.

I also second what Nightfish said. I started Diabo 2 over ten years ago (taken several breaks since then), and still learn new things about it. It can be very daunting, but once you get more into it, I find it is more or less unmatched. The item system is just unreal, and people have done some pretty incredible things with character builds.

So all that said, good luck! Try whatever you like, and if it isn't working, then try something else, or ask for advice! This is about the friendliest community I know, and we're always happy to impart new knowledge :)

To actually answer your question though, a fishymancer is a great choice. My first matriarch (a matriarch or patriarch is a character who defeated Baal in Hell difficulty) was a sorceress, and it took a lot of patience, but it wasn't too bad. Just about any class will work with some patience and a shield!
  16. AnjaS

AnjaS IncGamers Member

Thanks! I might also try the blizzard sorceress as I just read the guide and it looks like another hands off build that I might like to try.

My reflexes aren't so good anymore that I think that I leave melee builds for later.

Anja
  17. oup

oup IncGamers Member

Hello AnjaS. I recommended to my sister to try out blizzard sorc. It is by far the easiest for her. And she enjoys it a lot.
  18. Ancient Of Mu Mu

Ancient Of Mu Mu IncGamers Member

Welcome Anja- while I'm not even remotely at the level of some of the players in this forum, here's my two cents. For starting out and just exploring the game-I'd go with a Fishymancer (Summoner Necro). I started my Diablo 2 playing with a Bowazon back when the game didn't have an expansion and they are one of my favorite classes to play, but much more fragile than the Necro.

The Fishymancer is the first champ I played through Diablo 2 with all the difficulty levels.

Good luck and have fun!