Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

HC WD's Who do you voodoo? (How are you doing?)

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Delano, May 22, 2013. | Replies: 235 | Views: 18030

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delano

Delano IncGamers Member

I know I'm not the only one playing a WD right now (actually I don't, and I may find out by posting this thread), and we shouldn't be left out of having our community within a community within a community.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Stalkman-1754/hero/33376409

There I am, humble beginnings like we have in HC. Currently working on more EHP as the DPS I'm working with is fine for act 1 MP 1 farming like you kids seem to enjoy these days.
  2. dugati

dugati IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/HapaPapa-1888/hero/31874432

My WD is still kicking at P22, though I've had quite a few close calls (thanks you, SV). I've been playing those A1MP1 pub games mostly, but would eventually like to finish off HC inferno.

Edit: Guess I jinxed myself! The Butcher put an end to my run last night on my first foray into an MP2 pub game. Spirit Vessel tried to save me but wasn't quite enough. Oh well, it was a good run! In retrospect I probably should have traded my bears build for something a little more ranged given it was my first look at MP2. Next up is to get my DH to 60 and contemplating starting a Barb (if only b/c I've got a handful of decent barb items sitting in my stash).
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  3. InteNuIgen

InteNuIgen IncGamers Site Pal

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Majo666-2473/hero/27787298

Just reached lvl 60 with this guy, my first level 60 HC :)
    Selffound, no AH.

Iskathu Hell was a real sweat with his 1000000 minions, but i took him down and Diablo was no problem.
    Farming stuff in Act 1 Inferno now, trying to figure out some stuff. Shield or Mojo? Amethysts or Topazez? MP0 or MP1?
  4. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

Congrats on the very first level 60 HC char, InteNuIgen! Gooood feeling, I remember!
  5. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Just switched my WD over to bears. Currently at paragon 48 and going strong. This is still one of my first characters, and easily my longest lived. For the first 40 or so paragon levels, he was a very safe LoH+toads spec, which I'd HIGHLY recommend for folks looking for an extremely safe, lower MP farming build.

Short of a DC, very little can kill you. I've still yet to see spirit vessel pop on my WD, but I've had closer calls since swapping to bears with much better gear than I ever did on the LoH/toads build. The gist of it is a ton of LoH (I was generally around 1500-2000) and rain of toads. Coupled with a shield, high resists, decent life and some minions, you'll be damn near unkillable.

I always ran:
    Toads
    Unbreakable grasp
    Dogs/life link
    Gargantuan
    Spirit walk/4 sec rune
    Soul harvest/60 sec rune

Pierce the veil (I think that's the one... the +30% damage with increased mana costs; mana won't be an issue with toads)
    Jungle fort
    Spirit vessel

Anyway, loving the bears build now, but it's much more gear dependent.

Finally a WD thread! :)
  6. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Ah the lurking WDs come out of thier shelters! Great thread title btw :)
  7. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I was surprised to see that WDs were the least represented class on the Year One Infographic article (http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/diablo-3-infographic-year-one-statistics). Seems like it's between them and barbs for most common these days. Pop into any public game, and it seems to be more WDs than anything else.

I wonder if I've just been seeing a small sample size, am more likely to remember WDs since I like them, or if there are a ton of them around now, but it's a more recent development, and they were in fact much less common for most of the games life, but are becoming moreso now.

That would surprise me a little bit as well though. I started this WD basically from the ground up, and she's been my main character for 95% of the time I've been playing D3. Even with the terrible gear she started with, and the tougher gameplay in the earlier patches, I found WDs to be one of the safer classes, so I'm still surprised they were so seemingly unpopular!

What do you guys think?

On a side note, had a productive MP3 farming session last night; dinged paragon 50 and found 5 legendaries in about 2 hours (4 brimstones, and a mediocre Vile Ward, but still!)
  8. Delano

Delano IncGamers Member

You have a lot of life, and not a lot of DPS, which is understandable given that it's your 1st HC 60. My recommendation would be to join mp1 act 1 games and do a bit of leeching and playing it safe as the fastest way to up your PL and get the next tier of gear. MP 1 is key as it makes all the enemies level 63 and able to drop all the good stuff.
  9. InteNuIgen

Well i don't do public games for a number of reasons (for example, with kids running around the house there is a good amount of "pausing the game for 2 minutes and sort up mess nr 45279") :)

I am in act 2 inferno currently, but i don't feel the need to progress further right now (just retrieved Kulle's body).

Instead i am leaning towards playing act 1 @ MP1 - as a ranged class i like the open spaces in weeping hollow etc.

But at what point would you say it should be "safe" to drop the shield? I can see the massive dps boost i would get from a real off-hand such as a mojo.

How much more vulnerable would i be? " -4.7% protection " really does not tell me that much.
  10. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I think you could probably drop it now, unless you're having many close calls with your current setup. If you're feeling pretty safe currently, you could go ahead and drop it for a mojo. As Delano said, you have a lot of life and not a lot of DPS, so the mojo/shield slot might be a good place to shift that ratio a little bit. That being said, your resists are on the low side as well, so if you're already feeling vulnerable with your current setup, it might be worth trying to swap your vit shield for one with some more resists/blocking on it.

As a side note, I'd highly recommend fitting spirit walk into your build somewhere, its the one WD skill I wouldn't play without on any spec :)
  11. InteNuIgen

Thanks for the reply. I tried act 1 @ MP1 and that was too much for me. Probably keep farming act 2 @ MP0 for awhile.

I just tried out Spirit walk and was surprised to see the enhanced move speed. It's not hard to see that it would be a life saver if you get jailed/walled in some desecrate/plagued/whatever.
    I have used "Zombie dogs/For the master" as some sort of "panic button" along with Spirit Vessel passive.
    Will Spirit Vessel work the same as Spirit walk?

I will make the switch however i think!
  12. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I think there have been so few HC WDs created because they don't die so people don't need to build more. I could be wrong, of course... it would've been nice to see total *living* HC characters per class.
  13. Delano

Delano IncGamers Member

I have too little impulse control for HC I think. Starting again.
  14. Delano

Delano IncGamers Member

I'm back at 60 after a week of taking it easy. I find I live longer (more time played) when I'm able to play less. For me, when doing act 1 MP 1 runs, as this is all my gear will reasonably support, for too long I get impatient and impulsive. From there it's risk taking, despite all manner of intellectual knowledge of how that ALWAYS ends for me in HC. I have significant admiration for some of you guys that have the single-mindedness to blow through so many PLs so quickly. Maybe it's because I'm an older gamer that's spent most of my life doing repetitive, grindy things in games that are in some way or another like D3. Can anyone else relate to this?
  15. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

I don't have time to play a lot, maybe 3x 1,5 hours a week. I must say after 1-2 hours of playing I get a bit numb and switch to autopilot. It is a good thing to stop playing then I guess, so not having time to do a long session maybe helps me in a way :)
  16. Kiltag

Kiltag IncGamers Member

Long time lurker first or second time posting lol. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kiltag-1562/hero/32030670 My second HC character. Just farming A1 MP1 until I feel comfortable enough for diablo which I think I'm fine for now but in no rush. Swapped out gruesome feast for bad medicine just to try it out and got rid of the shield (finally) for a mojo. So far pretty comfortable.
  17. Delano

Delano IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Stalkman-1754/hero/33759986

Getting my feet under me. Have upgraded 3 pieces that haven't updated and still have ~19 mil in the bank, which I know is a rounding error to some of you. My question is what's a safe-ish build for wds to farm the machine plan and do ubers? I've yet to get a hellfire ring, and with small incremental progression I believe I'm getting close to being able to start building one.
  18. Delano

Delano IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Stalkman-1754/hero/33759986

Coming along nicely. For a week or so, my goal was to get Zuni's marrow for the 4 piece bonus to dramatically increase my sustain when using bears. However, recently I switched to the cloud of bats build which is far less mana intensive for the smaller AoE. Now, I'm not quite sure what to spend my ~19 million on for upgrades. I could try and craft a better chest or amulet, but the odds of something better than I have coming of it are low. I'm reluctant to craft when I don't have that much in the bank. My other idea was to try and get a lower DPS Mana's knife with a socket and put a high grade ruby in it to try and squeeze more DPS out that way. For pants, it's looking like either Depth Diggers or Blackthorne's. For some reason, Depth Diggers aren't too popular among the players here. Is that because of the LoH that Blackthorne's has, or just the big HP boost?
  19. Snifu

Snifu IncGamers Member

20. FireStormNZ

FireStormNZ IncGamers Member

Hi all,

I just dinged 60 yesterday with my WD. Rolled a WD after I lost my monk. I've been farming Inferno A1 MP1 with a Barb mate. My thoughts so far are: I am always out of mana - always. My WD is very squishy. This is with 400k EHP and my Resists sit around 800. I will be looking to stack some Vitality to grab another 100k EHP or so. Ghost bomb does negligible damage to white mobs to the point of almost no point using it. I need some better sustain so I am investigating LOH options with Rain of Toads or Fire Pit. Also considering switching out Bears for Acid Rain. Running Grave Injustice means that Spirit Walk is almost never on CD. I use it all the time for repositioning. BBV is almost never on CD either which is why I will be switching it out to Rain Dance shortly. I don't know how other WD's solve their mana issues but mana is huge for me.

Gear wise my Frog is self found - and it rocks! I would like some more Pick up Range though to improve Grave Injustice. The Zuni set items are absurdly expensive - the cheapest Marrow on the HC AH is around $9.5 million. I won't be looking to upgrade to Zuni items for some time. It really is a great time to be a new lvl 60 though. Some quality items on the AH sell for 500k or less.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/FireStormNZ-1915/hero/11721313

Edit: Forgot to say, it is crazy playing a class with so many builds that seem viable!
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.