Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

HC Monks!.. How are you guys doing?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Grishok, Apr 12, 2013. | Replies: 897 | Views: 48003

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

As a fervent monk player I would like to emulate the already legendary HC barb thread for hardcore monks :D

Would be nice if fellow monks could update once in a while on their adventures in Sanctuary. I've met some nice monks ingame with different play styles, interesting to share experiences!

I'll start with mine: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Hippotion-2165/hero/10218909
    - Currently P26, standard FoT/cyclone build (for now)
    - Almost DC proof on MP0/1 with 1.5k regen and backlash mantra :thumbup:
    - Got my first hellfire ring this week, it sucked, so farming keys for another try :yes:
    - Trying to raise my DPS to go beyond MP6
  2. slyraje

slyraje IncGamers Site Pal

Ha, I've been wondering when one of these would pop up. I've been playing self found for my last 2 monks, so my gear is not as interesting. Lost the last one at PL21 with a near full Inna's, though, so I've got hope that self found can work out pretty well in the long run.

Just got back to Inferno last night with my new monk: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/slyraje-1403/hero/31914902

Build is a little different, but I'll likely change it up once I'm back in Act 3. I like playing with Exploding Palm and Cyclone Strike, but that requires a higher mp and/or a 4 player game to be worth it.
  3. Kornkills

Kornkills IncGamers Member

Lost my pl66 last night, was too drunk.
  4. slyraje

I wish I could get to PL66 and drunk kill my monk. I lose them all around PL20 sober.
  5. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Damn kornkills, you'll have to to pplaying diablo intoxicated to ever reach P100!

Slyraje, don't you have to be ovegeared to use cyclone strike? Kinda dangerous to pull enemies towards you when still leveling or low sixties?
  6. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Just got 3 inf machines again and almost died in the process of getting them. Played MP5 keep with another monk (corsair) and we encountered the elite tremor quest pack. Was pounding them ok for a bit and then bam from 60 to 5k life in a second. Popped serenity and ran, did come back after 10s to help finish them off.

The other monk was tanking them with 7ss, respect! He said a PL92 barb recently died to this pack, so I told him to warn me BEFORE this kind of stuff next time :D

Will have another go at ubers and hopefully get another ring out of it soon.
  7. slyraje

I don't know. I played my SC monk who has some pretty mediocre gear, and I had fun with it on mp1-3. I don't think I'll be ready for any MP for a while in HC, but 4 player games can give the monsters enough hp to use EP + CS with some efficiency.
  8. Kornkills

Cyclone is dangers versus molten packs :)
  9. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

So kornkills, is THIS the one to make it to 100? :) We all know you can do it!
  10. Kornkills

Taking a bit of break.
  11. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Understandably. Maybe it's nice to try another class, just for change?
  12. Kornkills

Of course not hah, I will not give up on monk until I reach pl100. But because of my current my budget I will be back to sweeping wind / ez mode to leech a bit. ^^ hopefully i can get 300mf at pl0 :)

hope all your monks continue to keep doing well!
  13. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

You really are a HARDCORE monk, we bow down to your monkness :) GL with this one!

Edit: GNAH!#$!#$, I just sold a Nat's embrace for 637.000, I missed a zero when putting it up on the AH... Guess I made somebody happy though
  14. Delano

Delano IncGamers Member

I switched to the monk after losing my latest barb. I get wayyyy to cocky/bored with barb farming. I'm finding that for my playstyle, I'm actually a lot faster while feeling much safer with the Monk. Here I am:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Stalkman-1754/hero/32599614

Yes I know I need a new neck, but the life feels too important. I'm having a hard time finding an efficient way to add mitigation other than a shield, any thoughts?
  15. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Without shield is always less mitigation, only thing you can offset is to get more life steal or LOH on both weapons.

Your damage for dual wielding is quite low, you can definately get more attack speed and crit chance on your gear. Interesting that you prefer monk over barb, my first char was a barb (died @ 60[1]) and then I started this monk which is still going strong (touches wood).

My impression is that barbs are tougher (more life steal skills) than monks and are maybe the easiest class to play in HC. According to the # of chars I see in HC games:
    1. Barb
    2. Monk
    3. WD
    4. Wizard
    5. DH (where are they??)
  16. slyraje

when I get bored of using a shield and my typical build, I like to run with Deadly Reach - Keen Eye as a second generator, and pick up combo strike. I'll dual wield and use guardian's path and backlash as well, but you might want to skip that part and just stack the armor bonuses from STI and Keen Eye.
  17. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

You said it yourself, your amulet is very weak, and so are your pants. Focus on those two for your next upgrades. :)

I would also exchange Exalted Soul passive to One With Everything, and focus on one single res. Switching to OWE and focus on a single res should easily bring you up to 700 k EHP. (You are currently at 570 k EHP.)

Here your are, http://d3up.com/b/528100/withoutworks
  18. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

I am doing just fine, but upgrades are starting to get too expensive now. Am lucky to find an upgrade below 5 million, which is my "soft" limit for an item. I have too many chars to gear to spend a fortune on one. :p

Still this is capable of running Ãœbers on MP5-7 depending on party. I mostly contribute with my Overwave flash for a constant 48% more damage taken (am at 42 k dmg).

http://d3up.com/b/112505/monk
  19. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Ha you've got a very budget effective monk, my possible upgrades are going towards 50M each :)

You've got a nice set of items, focussed mainly on defense. Two ideas for upgrades:
    - I think you can get a better weapon for 10-20M, with a socket for 80-90% crit damage and more LOH.
    - You miss damage affixes on your rings, only 1 out of 8 possibilities (avg dmg, ias, chc, chd and that times two rings). I really like ias for the damage AND spirit regen.

The better your chars are, the harder the choices and upgrades :)

PS I'm trying hard to find an upgrade for my weapon, want to have mine if I succeed?
  20. Kornkills

I would say your best chance for cheap upgrades are better bracers and amulet from crafting. Getting 7% crit chance + high dex on amulet would help out a lot, but chances are you would lose some EHP.

Same with bracers, rolling dex, if you can get 200+ dex and 4+ crit with some ehp also.

Basically you might have to dump some ehp to gain dps, try crafting dex amulet/bracers and then maybe shoulders.

gl
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.