Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

HC is killing me

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by slyraje, Mar 5, 2013. | Replies: 16 | Views: 1321

1. slyraje

slyraje IncGamers Site Pal

I can't go back to doing anything in this game except AH free HC mode. Death hurts soooo much more, though. I found my first echoing fury in 500+ hours of gameplay, and lost it within a week.

Game crashes, disconnects, and lag spikes are responsible for all but one of my last 8 deaths. I lost my cool this morning when I was killed by the game locking up. Usually I let out one loud f-bomb, and carry on. I don't know how long I can keep this up before I rage and smash my keyboard into a fine powder. Halp.
  2. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Only one thing helps: build for disconnects! Mitigation + regen are key, some skills help also.
  3. spiffymcbang

spiffymcbang D3 Trade Moderator<br> America, USEast (D2)<br> Ne

Play with a friend. that can save you.
    buff your enchantress or whatever follower you are using, as best you can,
    High armor.
    high resistances
    and of course life regen. If you are a barb, inspiring presense adds a ton of life regen.

life steal and life on hit are worthless in this instance.

Are you on Europe or americas?

one problem I have found is if you are out gearing your content enough to possibley save yourself from a dissconnect, you might find the game less than challenging. kind of a catch 22.

Also level an alternate hero that you can play if the servers are iffy. Last night there was a message there there was some issue with battlenet as a whole and not taking any chances, I started leveling an alternate hero so if battle net did screw me again I would lose less.

My last 3 heros have been done in by dissconnects. It is frustrating.
  4. slyraje

When I got killed yesterday, I was cancelling the cut scene leading into Azmodan. I was trying a run from Cydea to Rakanoth. Found one legendary along the way (Un-IDed Lamentation or Ageless Might), and had encountered very little resistance. Ah, well. I was using the Templar for the heals + health regen + stun + taunt. He doesn't offer much in the way of disposing of the enemy, though. I also had MoH for more life regen, and Earth Ally to taunt.

I suppose where I went wrong was focusing too much on Dex and not enough Vit. I only had 33k HP, which is plenty for mp0 farming, but not disconnects. Also was dual wielding instead of using a shield. Ruby in helm instead of Amethyst.

I'll have to start playing with multiplayer games, I guess. Funny thing is, I always do from 1-60, but once I hit 60 I go single player for some reason. Doing it backwards... I'm on the US servers: slyraje#1403
  5. Malentros

Malentros IncGamers Member

I don't know about you, but I certaintly don't consider 33k hp sufficient for farming A3 MP0 safely, whatever you might say. In fact I run with minimum 40k hp on all classes On my main WD, I run with 500 LoH, 1600 regen, 48k HP (with ruby, >50k with amethyst), 4k armor, 750-800 AR, 57k dps, and I'm still not happy. Note: I have 5 level 60's all hardcore, have never lost one [knock on wood]. Have had a few disconnects too.

I agree with a previous poster, get regen, higher AR/armor, focus on defense first, killing speed second, and you'll find less frustration. You can always die to a bad d/c, but the overall probability of death is quite a bit less.
  6. spiffymcbang

spiffymcbang D3 Trade Moderator<br> America, USEast (D2)<br> Ne

You can add me if you want:
    spiffymcbang#1141
    I am just starting leveling an alternate toon and am at level 16. - barb.
    I do not play all that much, 1-3 hours a day but closer to to 1 maybe 1.5

So sometimes I am not moving all that fast time wise.
  7. slyraje

Well I never had an issue outside of a disconnect/lag spike or game crash. I had 1.7k LoH, 4.8k armor, 725 AR (buffed), only 28k DPS, and I was carving through Act3 mp0 consistently without incident. My health rarely dropped below 50%. I could face tank Ghom and get Azmodan down to about 25% health before I had to avoid his pools. I prefer to have closer to 40k HP, but since my health was never dropping below 50%, I opted for equipment that gave me 3k more dps.

@spiffy
    Thanks, I'll add you. I finished Normal today with my monk, and I plan on getting back to inferno as quickly as possible. I have a DH I'm periodically going back to since I found a decent legendary bow and a RL bow with 650dps. I think he's level 26. I can level him at a similar pace to your backup barb, I'm sure.
  8. Malentros

Well I'm sure you wouldn't have trouble with a barb and 1.7k LoH when actively engaging mobs. I guess the main point I'm making is that high EHP and regen (say 1.5k-2k regen which isn't hard to get with a barb with ~50k hp since you get 1k regen for 'free' with the passive) makes a huge difference between a d/c causing death and a d/c causing near death since regen still works when you d/c, and LoH doesn't.
  9. slyraje

Yeah. I have a 60 barb, but I don't enjoy the class as much as the monk. I was using MoH - Time of Need for the life regen/AR boost, but I think getting some life steal and using Backlash might be more effective. I will likely have to go back to using the AH to pull it off, though.
  10. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Yep for my monk when I solo I use:
    - Backlash
    - Life steal weapon (backlash does not trigger LOH, you need some serious damage though to notice the life steal)
    - Life regen (hard to get without sacrificing everyhting else though!), currently at 1K but aiming for 1.5K.
    - And ofcourse all the mitigation and life I can get.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Hippotion-2165/hero/10218909

Work in progress :)
  11. slyraje

Well, I'm back to 60. I've got 70k life, 4.5k armor, and 500 AR un-buffed this time around. Relying on Life Regen completely right now since I have virtually no LoH. Only 14k DPS as well :(. Hope I can craft some gear that'll help with that.

I'm also not going to play anything outside of Act 1 solo anymore. Thankfully I've got some people from here to play AH-free with. It's actually an awesome way to unload all the crap I've been holding onto.
  12. Malentros

I've played one char AH-free MP10 with a friend and it was one of the most fun experiences I've had in D3. Best of luck!
  13. slyraje

I've survived a couple of lag spikes now that I wouldn't have survived with my previous monk. Guess I'm finally on board with the HC way, though it's still really hard to resist dps and magic find. I guess playing it safe and getting my PL up is the best way to do it. Delayed gratification.
  14. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Stay save, stay alife :)

Until Blizzard finds a way to reduce the time you stay in the game on disconnect this is the way to go imo.
  15. Malentros

Pause on d/c (when playing solo only of course) has got to be the most requested hardcore feature in D3. There were questions about the feasibility of its techncial implementation but once SC2 added the feature we know they can do it (or at least could do it with some rework of their bnet code). There's no question about exploitation, which was always the concern with other solutions to disconnects: if you force a d/c in a bad situation, you'll return to the game paused in the exact same bad situation. Nothing will change.

The real problem is HC is like 5% of the SC populace. If implementing the change requires a lot of development time, Blizzard may have a hard time justifying the resources.
  16. slyraje

If they're not going to support a game mode, why'd they implement it in the first place? This problem was created by their choice to go online only, and I think it's completely reasonable to expect a solution. I wouldn't think they'd be happy knowing disconnects are a far greater challenge than any boss in the game.
  17. Malentros

I don't know if "online only" is the issue here, as if you wanted to play HC offline so all your deaths would be legit, you could just make an SC character, play no-AH and solo only, and delete you char after a legit death. Its functionally the same thing.

I do agree though that d/cs are a bigger challenge than anything else in HC. However Blizzard has yet to even state their intention of investigating solutions to the problem, let alone look into it. The disclaimer kind of covers them well on this issue. We go into HC knowing the risks, and the risks haven't changed in 15 years of Diablo HC.

I might make a post in the official HC forums about it (a new one, since its been done before) and see if it can get some traction. Might be good to try it again now since the devs seem to be paying attention.