Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

HC Demonhunters!.. How are you guys doing?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by oOmpie, May 19, 2013. | Replies: 436 | Views: 26328

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Well, howdy :)

Battle.net seems to be down, so this gives me a bit of time to fire up this thread after Lord_Vega mentioned starting one as we discoverede both of us redently started up youngling Demonhunters.
    I've been spending a lot of time on my barb(s) and for the sake of diversity I wanted to retry and get a Demonhunter to 60 and beyond. My previous one bit the dust @45, current one is @26: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/o0mpie-2478/hero/27908449

I'm newish tot the class, have no knowledge of viable builds or anything, so feel free to tell of your HC Demonhunter's succes and help me on my way of the Hatredmonger =))
  2. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

Hey ho, oOmpie! Great that you took the initiative to start this thread, as I never got to doing it, and I really feel we need a broader representation of the DH in the forum, seeing as it's mainly the melee chars who are dominating this lovely community ;)

The Amazon, or more precisely the 1.09 piercing guided/strafeazon was my alltime favorite char in the Diablo universe, and even tough it's been like 10 years, I still like to somehow emulate that style of playing, since it was absolutey awesome! :jig:

Now, since strafe has a whole different mechanic here in D3, I've chose to try to rebuild my SC DH, a multishot hunter, only this time around, without the 50-60 or so euros I've put into his gear to geat to 200K dps :p

Here's my gal so far: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Vegameister-2492/hero/27307266

Squishy as hell, and I really need to start working on them AR and vit once I get to level 60... just starting hell now, and am taking it really easy. Multishot is a definite destroyer, but that is perhaps also the bane of this build, that the super quick vaulting, life bulb chewing and multi spraying needs to be done in a calculated manner, and not like an energizer bunny on LSD as I use to play the class in SC :whistling:

She will definitely not be my last DH, but so far, I am having a blast!
  3. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Nice thread, glad you made it!

I've picked D3 back up a bit this weekend and am playing my DH which is now level 27. The DH was probably my favorite SC character, especially with the multishot build.

Right now I'm using twin chakram, because I just love that skill. Not sure what build I will do once I hit 60 yet.
  4. Lord_Vega

It's a really funny thing, being a HC DC... first off, it's like people can't even believe a DH joined the game! :whistling: I was playing quite a bit of multiplayer today, both with friends and in public games, and people reacted in the following manner:

"It's ok that you are not contributing as much, you are a DH!"
    "Just the fact that you are alive is incredible"

:badteeth:

I have to say, this class is absolutely immensly fun to play, though I can tell I will have to be 100% concentrated 100% of the time, as a wrong vault or being a second too late with my gloom, means certain death!

I was teaming up with jrsilva i dag, and leveling our DH's from the early 50's to the 60 mark, and man... haven't had as much fun in ages!
    The really funny part, was trying to remove vault from the skillbar, and being more "responsible and cautious". Didn't feel like a DH to me anymore!

So yes, I might be crazy, but I want DH which is based on manouverability and speed... god knows how long it will last... plvl 4 so far, and still kicking! :crazyeyes:
  5. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Dayum,
    I didn't go quite so fast :badteeth:

My skills have been pretty static for the most part, although every now and then I check for different runes and other options, I just don't like 'em much :D
    I'm going for the more strafey feel of rapid fire and she's been a blast up til now, although I have to admit the Hellfire ring is a big help since I didn't have much levelling gear for her. I did make it past her predecessor and she's sitting at 49 right now and is at the NM Rakkis Crossing.
  6. Moichi

Moichi IncGamers Member

Ahh, finally a DH thread :)
    I had a blast with my (second) HC DH until last friday, where I ported to another player and only saw my death screen. Damn exploding tree seeds in the Northern Highlands, and gone was my 60(12) DH. So be careful, you are squishy (even with 5k armor and 700+ AR)! :D

As for skills, I always use Spike Traps in my HC DH builds, it's just so much fun to blow things up with them. Plus you can use them strategically while kiting the harder stuff.
    There are some skills that are pretty much mandatory for a HC DH; I personally use Smoke Screen (LF) and Prep (BS) as my emergency-buttons. Vault works well too, although I usually have to get it off my bar to make room for SP:Gloom when the content gets harder.

Enjoy the leveling - MP10 is fun! :idea:
  7. jrsilva

jrsilva IncGamers Member

Well as Vega said, we teamed up (dual DH) just fine form 50 to 60. It was tons of fun. Nevertheless, I do know it's a very fragile character.

I had the 7th best HC char in the world in heroscope terms, according to another D3 site (no publicity!) and I had at the time 250k dps and 84k hp, along with some regen and around 600 AR. This stats were with farming gear, because I could up my dps to 300k while lowering my hp to around 65k. I can't recall why but I was soloing Oasis A2 and I met the keywarden there (the one with damage reflection). The second before that happened I took my eyes from the screen because I had received an email on the laptop (I play D3 on my desktop). I was looking the other way for like 5 seconds and when I look back, puft, I was dying. So even an awesome DH can die just like that.

I never came to find the courage to rebuild, because I had the feeling I could never reach that level again, but now that my 2 main chars are coming along quite nicely, I will take my chances. My 2 other chars are:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Papacas-2298/hero/19943771
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Papacas-2298/hero/26440267

So soon I will post here my new DH, as soon as I get the full starting gear for him. I will aim to get to minimums of 200k dps, 60k hp, 550 ar, 4k armor. It will be a quite standard build, using Hungering Arrow and Multishot as killing skills, Companion (Boar), Preparation, Smoke Screen and Shadow Power, to go with the passives Perfectionist, Vengeance and Brooding (this last one still open to further consideration). Will keep the forum updated on this project.

Cheers
  8. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Mate, no need to remind everybody of how your DH died, we all remember your part in that ^^

GL with the new and improved one :)
  9. kestegs

Nice to see some people have had success with the DH. I never expect it to be a safe class, but that's kinda what I like. I like needing to pay attention all the time.

I'm a bit like Vega, I think a DH should be mobile, and that means vault. I don't imagine I will ever take vault or tactical advantage out of my build. I also despise smoke screen. Probably not the best idea for HC, but I just can't force myself to use smoke screen.

I've been playing lots of pub games lately while leveling and found it to be a rather pleasant experience. Is there any griefing I should know about? It seems much safer now that they added the banner combat icons.
  10. Lord_Vega

I was actually thinking about starting a thread about that exact point you mention, kes... the fact that 1.08 has really made multiplayer, and even... dare I say, pubs, fun and worth to play! :)

I really don't see myself ever playing solo again, at least not above the very first 20-30 levels or so!

As for griefing, I haven't encountered any so far, though not all players are as verbal and communicate as well as others, so I have once managed to join a PLVL 63 WD with my then PLVL 1 DH, and since I got no answer on my "is it safe" question, I bannerported to him, only to see TONS of mobs there, and I do mean in the worst sorta' way... festering woods WP, no route is safe... barely managed to esacpe.

It surely wasn't his fault, but as I said, not all HC players are as good at communicating as we are.

Btw, that comment about vault totally won you over in my book, you DH fan, you... ;)

JRSILVA... that DH of yours is going to be a legend! Can't wait to leech off him in mp3+ games! :badteeth: I can even do a Flux and carry a raising sun by your side! hehe
  11. jrsilva

jrsilva IncGamers Member

Man, you are too much, hehehe! Well just by being there, with your personality and way of playing and behaving in the game, it will be worth it. Nevertheless, I am quite sure you will evolve your char and be more than able to make a positive contribution. I will do my best to help you out with some items too, since I already promissed you that any upgrades I score mean that the old ones are yours.

Cheers
  12. Lord_Vega

I appreciate it, bro! Believe it or not, but during these last months of struggling with my connection and deciding whether to play SC, HC or no D3 at all, you've been a huge factor in keeping me playing, and dragging me back to the dark and mortal side! hehe.

Thanks for the compliments, and I truly look forward to the day I can repay the favor.. perhaps when that crit mempo drops for me, eh?

Gogo DH's! We NEED to get one to PLVL 100 on the forum!
  13. jrsilva

jrsilva IncGamers Member

Well there is nothing to repay, really. And I am also quite touched with your kind words. The way you can "repay" is to keep on showing up with your good spirits and team up. That is more than enough for me. Of course a crit Mempo would be nice too, hehehehe
  14. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Slowly working my way towards lvl 60.
    Just finished Nightmare and spent some time digging through my stash and leftovers stash on the AH. Bought 1 hand crossbow and am now on a 50K budget for this babe, minus the gems :badteeth:

Had 1 frickin' close call on the Spire 2. Dunno what happened exactly, screen just turned red and life was at 10% or thereabouts... This was actually after I had moved OUT of some chaotic fighting, so I'm guessing it was 1 or more hits that rode in on a little lagspike.

@52: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/o0mpie-2478/hero/27908449
  15. dugati

dugati IncGamers Member

Now that I lost my P24 WD (doh!) its time to focus on my DH who's working her way through nightmare difficulty at the moment. So far she's been a lot of fun. I like the fast play style and am particularly fond of bola shot for the tick..tick..BOOM! effect =)

Here she is - playing self-found on all my HC characters. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/HapaPapa-1888/hero/33441922

Question for the rest of you - what follower do you like while solo leveling?
  16. kestegs

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/kestegs-1550/hero/24582330

Got to 51 and starting act 4 NM now! Been pretty safe for the most part, nothing too dangerous. I'm trying to figure out why my life is so much lower than oompie's though. I have more vitality but almost 7k less life. Of course perfectionist makes up for about 2.5k of that, but I'm still confused.

Been trying out Ball lightning, and it's a pretty good skill. I also use twin chakram and rapid fire on occasion.
  17. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

I think that may be caused by lack of character levels.
    It's nothing I ever calculated or anything, but I have the feeling that character levels up to 60 add more than just the standard vit effect to your health pool. As if some levelbased percentage is applied. At the moment you seem to have caught up nicely though, since you have 7K more now :badteeth:

My babe is sitting @58 right now. I was plowing along in public games slowly whittling away at enemies when Santa came to town in the form of jrsilva who came bearing gifts :girly:
    So now she's wielding two lvl redux hand crossbows and destroying all. AND she has a Vile Ward waiting for her when (or should I say if :p) the big six-oh will be achieved.

Skills are roughly the same, although I swap out caltrops for Marked for Death when fighting bosses. Having 4 slots on the skillbar assigned to escape skills may seem overkill, but damn... I feel like I need them =))

It's too bad though, compared to my barb's "safety" skills the demonhyunter's safety skills are mostly just that... escapes...
    Except maybe Gloom, which you could compare to Warcry if you really wanted to, since it allows you to be more "in your face" soaking up damage while dishing it out. Caltrops/Vault/Preparation are all in the vein of Leap - "Oh ****/GTFO of here"...
    Not like you can WotB your way out of danger by simply wrecking everything in your path, etc... So I feel a little gimped, but on the oter hand I'm loving the playstyle so far. Every lagspike makes me crap my pants though...

[TLDR]Made lvl 58 and jrsilva is one generous dude! Hopefully tonight she'll be 60 and able to put on all the stuff sitting in stash[/TLDR]
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
  18. jrsilva

jrsilva IncGamers Member

Glad to help out mate. And I do hope I can help you out a bit more when you hit 60, hehehe
  19. kestegs

Yea, the character kennel must account for more than you would think. But yes, picked up some new vit gear last night.

Got a nice group this morning and burned through all of hell act 1 and half of act 2.

I've actually seen mostly DH and WD classes while leveling. I see very few barbs and monks, which is surprising. We'll see if that changes once I'm in inferno.
  20. asdfgah

asdfgah IncGamers Member

Killed inferno diablo for the first time just last week on my DH :)

Went without using the ah up to the end of a2 but then after not getting the monster density changes to mp0 I got a few upgrades from the ah anyway to get past belial safely(-ish :p) and finished the game off without much trouble to be honest. ~40k dps 700-800AR (with boar) and ~55khp

Nothing seems to work better than ball lightning for me so that's what I'm going with, along with evasive fire: covering fire, preparation: battle scars, smoke screen: lingering fog, vault: tumble and boar companion and the passives Perfectionist, tactical advantage and archery.
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/hedstrom-2660/hero/15586149

Did not like covering fire initially because of the chance of encountering a fast monster pack draining you of discipline, but teamed up with battle tactics and vault I think I've learned how to use it well enough so that isn't really an issue anymore. If I Do encounter some really fast pack of monsters I just take it slower, getting few shots and battle-tactics-vaults in there where I can to regen hatred and discipline but there hasn't been anything I haven't been able to deal with yet (not powerful enough for any MP yet however). Now I try to use evasive fire over vault when I can for the cheaper backflip and tactical advantage, and vault when I need to go through a group of monsters to get to a better position or to pick up health globes if I have to.

Smoke screen I rarely ever use (can't remember last time I did) so I have been considering dropping it for something else but so far I haven't dared doing so because it is a nice safety to have, should I somehow get caught in an unlucky frozen explosion in a bad position..

Got another selffound DH which hasn't touched the ah yet which just hit level 60, hopefully monster density will be improved in mp0 for when I go back to it :p

Stay safe out there fellow DHs :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.