Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

HC Barbs!.. How are you guys doing?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by omgmir, May 19, 2012. | Replies: 1530 | Views: 107215

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgmir

omgmir IncGamers Member

:thumbup:

I'm interested to see how my barb bretheren are skilling themselves in HC.. i'm swapping around skills left right and center and still not even close to deciding on what I want to use for sure.

This is what i'm using for right now: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bcXTRY!Yb!aZaa.Z

Switching to Bash with Onslaught for bosses, currently level 24 farming A2 for a bit before I start A3 even though i've already killed Belial. I keep seeing people on another forum I frequent rave about Rend with Bloodlust rune but i'm not sold on it, it just seems like a miniscule amount of damage. Maybe later in the game it picks up but idk..

I'm of course using sword/board and don't plan on changing that anytime soon.

How about you?
  2. DeluksZ

DeluksZ IncGamers Member

I'm also leveling a barbarian as my main HC character. No problems so far, as expected. I'm just about to start act 3 and level till 30 there and maybe a bit over, before movin to act 4.

Stunlock for bosses is mandatory I think. It makes everything way easier. The only boss i did not use Bash Onslaught is Belial. I used frenzy there and battle rage instead of revenge.

Your build, although, surprises me a bit. But I guess we all have different thought about defense and keeping yourself out of trouble kind of builds. I won't make a step without revenge ever, that's for sure. 8% hp/enemy hit can top you up in tough situations and you can literally spam it especially in overwhelming situations. And it's also quite a nice aoe dmg. Combined with ground stomp wreching smash, you can even pull the mobs closer for a bigger hp hit. Thats wha I usually do. I'm also using Cleave but with the more fury rune. I dont think the explosion is nice. Or that it will stay nice on higher level. It's like a plus swing for lower dmg. I rather spend that 1 more seconds swinging but topping my fury all the time.

Rend is out of the question for me. For some reason I think its a single target skill (when it's abviously not). I use it for bosses during stunlock. But in the fields its just a big hit what takes 3 seconds to hit it's full dmg. I don't see a point in using rend when we have Seismic Slam which is absolutely the best skill in the game. It's a perfect CC skill in my opinion. I usually used it as a battle finisher after I jumped in to a group and started cleaving. Then I realised, if I use it as a starter it works like a charm. Basically its a ranged aoe spell with knockback. Now anytime i see a big group of monsters I slam 2-3 times from range and the way is cleared without any harm taken.

I use bloodthirts as a passive, because I'm topped with fury most of the time and that 3% dmg is still kind of nice. Although it's not a game changer. I'm really sturggling chosing between jump with 300% armor/ignore pain and war cry with 15% dodge/threatening shout.
  3. omgmir

omgmir IncGamers Member

Tbh I tried using Revenge but I just rarely ever got to use it.. I ended up just walking around with full Fury and no way to spend it because Revenge wouldn't trigger. Cleave Rupture absolutely devastates packs for me, most of the time before my Ground Stomp stun even wears off.

You forgot to link your build though! ;)
  4. DeluksZ

DeluksZ IncGamers Member

I wasn't gonna post my build, I just wrote some of my thoughts about yours:) I still have much to work on. I'll try rupture though.
  5. SneakyMilo

SneakyMilo IncGamers Member

I am also playing HC with my main character a barbarian (secondary char is demon hunter). I am using very similar skills as DeluksZ. I'm at the tail end of A2 and have found that these skills are a pretty good mix of offensive prowess with devensive skills to bail you out when you get in over your head. At the end of the day, it is critical for the barbarian player to have a good idea of the relative toughness of mobs so you don't get swarmed by a group with harder mods. I too have tried to make use of rend for another HP restoring ability but find that it just doesn't feel that effective as an offensive ability.
  6. omgmir

omgmir IncGamers Member

I'm not 28 yet so I can't get War Cry, but I will be taking it when I can. The skills i've taken are not set in stone.. they are just the best of what I can take for right now, except for Rend which i'm constantly switching out for different things because I basically don't like any of my choices in that slot. I haven't found anything that matters because Cleave with Rupture is my 99% killer.

I don't get how you guys like Revenge so much, you must spend a lot more time tanking than I do.. maybe you're using a worse weapon and kill slower I don't know.
  7. SneakyMilo

There are enough mobs out there that can take a good chunk of my life that revenge feels like a necessity. Maybe it is just a crutch and I don't really need it, but I feel better having it as an option. It might not be so much about not doing as much damage as it is about not having as much +vita gear.... who knows.
  8. DeluksZ

DeluksZ IncGamers Member

I don't spend any time tanking. I have 300 dps (to my 4000+ hp) at the beginning of Act III. I cut them through like a hot knife cuts through butter. It's mostly 1, rarely 2 swings of cleave (with rupture... it really works with high dmg output). I just love how awesome that skill is. I hit very hard with it, it makes easier to kill mobs behind my back if I'm facing another way, and mostly, it's there if I need to top my healt for some reason. Mabye I'll never use it as it should be used (but from what I learned about NM with my SC tutorial character, I'll) but if there is only 1 situation when it saves me it's worth using. Nothing compares to stomping the mobs from 24 yards to you then revenge and see how they explode around on the screen from where they came.

9. omgmir

omgmir IncGamers Member

Good lord, you must have much better gear than me. :thumbup:

I'm nearing the end of A3 now at level 29 with 140 dps and 4.5k hp. Prioritizing vit over str on every piece if I have to choose. 42 dps 1-hand weapon.

10. DeluksZ

DeluksZ IncGamers Member

That's my precious. Found her in the AH for like 3k gold.
    [​IMG]

Tbh I spend more time browsing the Ah then fighting against the hordes of Hell :) I set Vita and Str as searched stats, set the level requiemnt (and the minimum stat if i'm searching for an upgrade), and then browse every piece of armor even if i'm not actually playing, just hanging around, watching TV, doing homework, ect. Believe me it's heaven. (And I was lucky enought to find ingame the piecec I needed the most, so now I'm at 4500+ HP)

11. omgmir

omgmir IncGamers Member

I did the same in my softcore playthrough, but in HC i'm dumping all my money into upgrading my blacksmith.. in the long run that will payoff more I think. That leaves very little to buy the overpriced gear on the AH and most of what i've spent has been on weapons.

My weap: http://i.imgur.com/VYQRz.jpg
  12. pezit

pezit IncGamers Member

Level 55 barbarian in a1 hell and at first it really felt like hitting a brick wall, I was murdering all through NM though. This was my build up until hell: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aZXYVP!Zbe!aZaZaZ

Not the best AoE but I was playing with friends who had more than enough AoE to handle that, I just killed bosses in seconds :)
  13. DeluksZ

DeluksZ IncGamers Member

That's a nice damage indeed. Although it laks stats. I don't really think that upgrading the blacksmith is important till you can buy way better stuff for way cheaper then your blacksmith could ever dream of making. I plan to make him "bigger" as soon as the AH don't allowe me to get my gear from there. He is at lvl4 i think (it now need 15k gold and 5 pages to upgrade). I have never used him although, only for salvaging. I really think you should start saving up money for AH.

14. omgmir

omgmir IncGamers Member

That's backwards logic.

Choice 1) Items from AH
    Choice 2) Upgrading Blacksmith

If you die, only one of these things will save over to your next char.. hint, its not the items you bought off the AH. Playing HC, you're playing your stash, not your char. The Smith is part of your stash by my logic, might as well upgrade him early and often. But then you said you already have him at level 4 and need items from nightmare to upgrade him further so you obviously upgraded him anyway and you're doing fine. :thumbsup:
  15. Valmy

Valmy IncGamers Member

I have a level 29 barbarian in act III and I'm having real problems.
    How you guys deal with elemental damage? I find myself nice agains mobs, but the ones with fire damage or posion damage or the like are almost killing me every time. I only got 160 DPS and 3200 life or so. Bad gear too.

Do you guys take int gear for elemental resists or how do you do? I feel a little scared to progress, I just killed the first boss of act 3, that gloom-or-so, and going outside the fortress is impossible for me due to those kinds of damage the outside monsters have in mass.

No deaths yet, but I'm starting to find the game hard just now because of thar.
    Any idea to help, or it's just lack of gear?

As an aside question, why don't you all use Earthquake? It's awesome every time I find a boss monster, and even in final bosses.

Thanks

PS: sorry my bad English.
    Last edited: May 20, 2012
  16. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Im Not doing very well aparantly. Just killed my 3rd HC barbarian. This time I was at Bastions Keep and level 24, a 3 pack of Blue Bosses mobbed me and I didnt have a potion available. Im going to try a Witch Dr next I think because I cant stay alive with the barbarian I guess..

:scratchchin:
  17. SneakyMilo

Valmy - I think your gear is the problem. It seems like your damage and life are too low. I'd shop the AH a bit and see if you can't find a stronger weapon and some armor that adds to vita and str. You might also consider grinding a bit if you are worried that you might die in your current area.

Your english is fine so don't worry about it :yes:
  18. DeluksZ

DeluksZ IncGamers Member

Act III can be a problem, yes. Valmy, it's about your gear. And the mobs with the larg hands and the poison pools will kill everybody in few seconds if the person does not paying attention. Even with my 4500+ hp I felt like a glasscannon when some fo them tried to tickle my toes. Later in the act (after the Siegebreaker) it get even scaryer. Act 3 is a real ***** but the best act so in my opinion.
  19. Patraquashe

Patraquashe IncGamers Member

20. DeluksZ

DeluksZ IncGamers Member

Can you please link a detalied character sheet and describe a little why do you find Bash as a generator better over cleave?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.