Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hardcore wd build

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by xist, Feb 17, 2013. | Replies: 6 | Views: 11991

1. xist

xist IncGamers Member

I recently returned to diablo 3 after taking a long break from this game.
    I decided to roll a hardcore WD.
    Any advice for best builds for hardcore? I don't plan on using AH

and do plague of toads crit?
    is crit needed?
  2. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Yes plague of toads can crit. Crit is not needed, and if you not using the AH, it is going to be hard to base your build around crit. This is a fairly common skill template for HC: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SRUXTY!ea!c.a.cc. Firebomb can easily be replaced with Rain of Toads, especially if you have any life on hit and/or chance to stun/freeze.
  3. BRKO

BRKO IncGamers Member

Spamming plague of toads = you crit quite well. But cc itself is not enough so you need cd as well = expensive gear. I have very low cc and no cd an im doing well .)
  4. xist

xist IncGamers Member

Thanks for the input guys. :D
  5. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I run a hardcore tank WD using rain of toads, and it works great!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VTMatt-1240/hero/22468285

Your damage will obviously be lower using rain of toads, particularly on a tanky, hardcore version, but it kill plenty fast up to MP2 or 3, and is extremely safe.

LoH is a priority on my build; I'm around 2k now. Coupled with a shield and good eHP, it's an extremely rugged build.

Here's a good example how how durable it can be, taken this morning. Double elites+KW, standing in 3 desecrators, and at full health!

[​IMG]
  6. adastra

adastra IncGamers Member

I have recently started listening to podcasts while playing in the morning and ... I happen to be leveling my second WD. This one is HC and self found. I heard Xanth? I think that's his name going on about this and I started to wonder ... which frog skill he was speaking of. Is Rain of frogs THE Skill? And he did seem to think that Zombie Bears were not very good.

Also, should my WD be using a shield? I've got him to about lvl 55 here and close calls are starting to happen here and there.

Is SOUL HARVEST something every WD uses?
  7. Malaterre

Malaterre IncGamers Member

Rain of frogs is a very good skill. It is a base skill so it costs almost nothing. It does damages over an area and does almost as much damages as single target skills (130% vs 180% for Poison Dart with Splinters rune). It is much better than other skills because you choose a target and, as the frogs are falling from the sky, you are sure the skill will not hit another ennemy, which would happen with a missile skill. So it is very practical to hit priority targets that are far away from you (archers, shaman...).

Zombie bears gives huge damages but is a bit dangerous to use (you need to be rather close to the monsters, it is channeled). Acid rain is, I think, safer.

Soul Harvest is one of these "buff skills" that you use for increasing damages. It is not really fun to use but it is such a huge bonus (something like +650 intelligence) that it's worth it. I guess it depends on your play style. Personnally I prefer to have an additionnal active control skill (Grasp of the Dead, Horrify...) rather than a flat buff but this is a really good offensive buffs.