Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hardcore players: starting a HC character as soon as you can a suicide mission?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by megacoffee, Apr 24, 2012. | Replies: 69 | Views: 4728

1. megacoffee

megacoffee IncGamers Member

Hardcore players: starting a HC character as soon as you can a suicide mission?

I dread the thought of having to play a softcore character aaaaall the way through normal, nightmare, hell AND inferno only to dump him and start over with a hardcore character. I'm sure normal is quite survivable even without knowing what you're going to face, if you play extremely conservatively. The question is, other than more mods on mob packs, are the encounters very different in each difficulty in terms of scripting or do they tweak the damage and hp only? By that I mean, do you think you can employ the same tactics that worked on a normal boss on his inferno counterpart?

2. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

Re: Hardcore players: starting a HC character as soon as you can a suicide mission?

If Blizzard designs their bosses in Diablo similar to how they do in WoW, I imagine what will happen is the bosses will telegraph the types of attacks and things you need to watch out for, but in the easier difficulties you will have a lot more room for shrugging them off. So the key to success will be to recognize those, and build up the habit of taking them seriously, even when you are in no danger at your current difficulty.

Look at the ice mines Captain Daltyn drops. My bet is that in the higher difficulties, it will be much more important to run away from those.

3. Brokenstorm

Brokenstorm IncGamers Member

Re: Hardcore players: starting a HC character as soon as you can a suicide mission?

Servers are more likely to kill you right after launch than any champion/rare.

4. GibItam

GibItam IncGamers Member

I think we will find out when we play it, as soon as I have a level 10 character I will switch to HC. I have no doubt that my first chars will die to either/ and/ or stupidity/ noobiness to the D3 system/ not paying attention/ being distracted by my wif&/kid/ alcohol/ lag/ bug in the game (LEMS anyone?)/ cockiness. So it is not a question if I will die but rather when :crazyeyes:. But with every death I will learn and adapt and in the end I think I will finish inferno (I hope). But the most important is that I will have hours of fun and exitement. If you are afraid of losing your chars, maybe you should not play hc unil you are ready to accept that you (most likeley) will lose (most of) your characters. Do you remember your first encounter with Duriel in D2? I know he killed me in a couple of seconds the first time ;-), or being ice balled by Meph, swarmed by stigian dolls or fire hozed by Diablo. Good memories and good lessons learned

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

Playing hardcore right off the bat probably is a suicide mission, that does not mean it will not be fun though. the excitement that every step may be your last is unmatched in softcore. I am sure most people will claim it was lag or other server issues (they did it in D2 every damn time) and my reply will always be the same, if you cant handle a lag related death then HC is not for you.

6. megacoffee

megacoffee IncGamers Member

I know I will die many times before finishing inferno. But if tactics change for each difficulty, then taking a HC char through the higher difficulties without knowing what you're up against is silly. You'd need at least one new character per boss, per difficulty, to learn all the new tactics :p.

7. GibItam

GibItam IncGamers Member

If I understand correctly you will not get one shotted that easily in D3, however healing potion cooldown + time needed to cast a tp + no immediate save and exit could mean you bite the bullet if you enter a (boss) fight whilst noticing that your enemy is stronger than you.

I have very limited knowledge from D3 this far (finished the Beta with a barb and a Demon Hunter and had not even a near death experience) so I think we can only tell once we progress in the full game as the Beta is only a very limited part of the game. I am looking forward on going head to head with act bosses on a HC char a love the addrenalin rush, but that is just my personal opinion. In the end the only differences between sc and hc is the one life and the RMAH.

It sounds that a good solution for you would indeed be to first do a playthrough on sc (you need to reach level 10 anyway might as well continue). Before switching to HC then you know what you can expect, well at least for normal difficulty. I for one am looking forward to see how far I can bring a HC char on my first playthrough.

8. kayarxj

kayarxj IncGamers Member

I am sure most people will claim it was lag or other server issues

9. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

This. Thisthisthisthisthis.

I had planned to until I started getting my first HCDC deaths in the beta. I won't play hardcore until Blizzard proves themselves trustworthy, which is a damn shame because I wanted to do HC right out of the gate. But you can't always get what you want.

10. Apocalypse

yup just like the d2 games. its amazing how 99% of the people who died in HC did so from lag

11. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

None of my SP chars ever died from lag. ;)

(But I was once taken out by a trapped barrel)

12. Retardje

Retardje IncGamers Member

Its gonna be balls to walls man up mode from the moment my SC toon hits lvl 10.

Like others said, its not a question of if you die, but rather when, but the thrill of being able to meet death around the next corner is unrivaled by softcore. That being said, Ill probably end up wearing all +vit and +hp gear only, beating on the baddies for half on hour due to lack of dmg, but Ill have fun. And if my barb dies, Ill build another!

I have to admit, now some people brought up the D2 duriel first experience, or my first claw viper temple experience (MSLE EF/ES and more) @ the new 1.10 patch, the MSLE, FE bug, Mephie ball, Diablo fires, I actually do remember the deaths of some of my characters a bit to well :) We will see. Discovering the game this way is more fun for me. Thats for sure.

13. Rashiminos

Rashiminos IncGamers Member

This. I fear lag spikes more than any boss.

I have a feeling Nightmarish will be a close second for some characters.

14. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

The rare lag death doesn't bother me (emphasis on rare). Sometimes bad things happen through no fault of your own. Life is not fair.

If you are mentally prepared for the occasional "random" death, then you have a mindset that will be helpful to keeping your sanity in hardcore.

15. beingmused

beingmused IncGamers Member

If I had to bet on an affix combination that will destroy some HC players, it would be Linked/Vampiric.

16. Cpdoom

Cpdoom IncGamers Member

That or Iron Maiden.:p

17. Rashiminos

Rashiminos IncGamers Member

I think that would be more annoying than dangerous. Losing control of character to run in a random direction? Not so much.

18. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

HC from the start isn't only the fun thing to do, it's the right thing to do, in my not so humble opinion.

1) It gets you a head start on gathering gear.
    2) It gets you much more familiar with when & how to abort an encounter.
    3) It's likely to be the rare situations that get players killed later on, and a little SC practice won't prepare you for that, so it's not like SC practice is going to suddenly make you immortal.
    4) I'm not convinced practicing bosses will be much more useful than watching a softie complete the boss on youtube or reading about how to do it on the forums, so I don't think (the better) HC players will be wasting too much time dying to the simple things that you could practice for in your SC playthrough.
    5) If servers are killing you in HC, they'll be wasting your time in SC too. See points 1 & 2, better to get what loot you can and learn how to deal with lag early if you can.

Losing control and running in a random direction really strikes me like it could be one of the rare things that kills the more experienced HC players whenever the stars happen to align. It depends how much anti-CC we get in gear I think.

19. Skyra

Skyra IncGamers Member

My current thinking is that if I "spoil" the encounters and situations for myself with a SC play through I will be loosing something that can't be replaced - the rush of stepping into the unknown for the first time with only one life.

I intend to try and stay away from public games, video spoilers and the like for at least the first complete run through normal (however many characters that takes...)

Having started from scratch on D2 hardcore multiple times I shall be concentrating on the basics of getting established (stashing away gear for the next character, building up the blacksmith and keeping a few characters progressing at once).

One new plan based on the open beta experience; stockpile +XP per kill gear - it seemed to make a significant difference to leveling speed - potentially handy in HC for getting replacements up to level and for staying a bit higher level than the areas you are working on.

20. Apocalypse

duriel was a big problem for both sp and mp. enter room and die beforeyou can even take a step lol