Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hardcore Demon Hunter Discussion

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by rberacha, Jun 6, 2012. | Replies: 30 | Views: 20625

1. rberacha

rberacha IncGamers Member

Just a thread to post builds, experiences, gear, what affixes/suffixes you found useful and such on your Demon Hunter. The DH forum is great for general reading but so much of the softcore discussion is completely irrelevant to us.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aeYdST!YeT!aaZZbY

I Used this build with 20,400 Life and about 6,000 DPS when I died to NM Izual at level 53. The build was actually too good for my play style because I breezed through everything and got lazy when I walked in on him. Going to build a similar DH once the servers come back up.

I like a Bow + Quiver and had Dex + Vit on every piece of gear with Dex weighted more. Going to switch to more Vit so I can survive being frozen and taking damage by the likes of Izual and such.

Demon Hunters sound off.

2. JomDarbert

JomDarbert IncGamers Member

I'm currently farming away in Act 3 Inferno (level 60 hardcore, obviously). I tried a whole lot of different builds, but I found this to be the absolute best:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#fRXVYl!Yea!bcZbZb

As we want to be able to go anywhere and farm anything, I aimed to create a 'swiss army kife' build that allowed that.

Evasive Fire - Covering Fire: Severely under-used, IMO. It can shoot through the walls that wallers create, around corners to hit mobs you can't see yet, and procs the Tactical Advantage speed boost. It also doesn't really need to be aimed as it simply hits any 3 mobs in it's AOE, which is large. 375% spammable weapon damage to groups is neigh unbeatable in terms of hatred generators. Hungering arrow is better against a single target, but why would you use hungering arrow against a single target when we have much better single target attacks?

Elemental Arrow - Nether Tentacles: Until they fix the (likely bug) where each shot hits larger mobs multiple times, there's no way that anything else comes close to this. Note that the sharpshooter bug has been stealth-hotfixed, so this has lost a bit of synergy with that passive. Still, nothing else comes close for multi-purpose tools. Impale can be great for pure single target, especially with a high crit chance, but Nether Tentacles is nearly as good and can be used in other situations as well.

Smoke Screen, Preparation, Caltrops: Essential survivability tools. Playing in hardcore past nightmare difficulty is next to impossible without these. There really aren't any other good options.

Rain of Vengeance - Stampede: The knockback has saved me more times than I can count, especially in tight hallways. If you're not a fan of this, taking the bat companion is also a good choice.

For reference, when I completed Izual/Diablo on hell, my stats were:

• 45k HP
    • 250 resist all
    • 2.5k armor
    • ~45 discipline
    • ~11k DPS

Bow + Quiver if you're confident you can react quickly enough with Smoke Screen, otherwise handcrossbow + shield.

3. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

Yeah, Evasive Fire is really awesome. I used almost identical build, but with Spike Trap + Scater skill rune instead of Elemental Arrow with Nether Tentacles.
    You just have to watch out when using Evasive Fire. I died with my 60lvl Demon Hunter because I've backfliped to pack of Lunatics... Was dead in instant.

4. Kragujevac

Kragujevac IncGamers Member

Pretty much using standard build

HA/DA - Pretty much standard best hatred/damage generator

SS/Linger - Standard no-brainer

Prep/Plan - Potentially double discipline, I find battle scars far too restrictive when I can double the amount of screens I can throw up.

MoD/Mortal - Depending on what i'm doing i'll swap to Contagion, otherwise Mortal for bosses and elites.

Vault/Tumble - Great mobility at half the cost, especially more useful when you get max disc items.

At the moment since im only 57 I'm using Multi Shot with FaW to mow down most things and just stutterstep HA on elites.

Once I get 59 I'll swap to Tentacles.

5. moranor

moranor IncGamers Member

I used Hungering / Nether as my attacks, and then SS, Caltrops, Vault and Preparation. Currently levelling a new DH though so ofc using Chakrams instead of Nether until I get them. I might give your build a try Jom, but I just can't imagine giving up Vault. Sometimes I just really need to run away from something and I can't see evasive fire letting me do that.

Also, A3 Inferno? I'd imagine you die instantly to almost anything.

6. megacoffee

megacoffee IncGamers Member

My build which took my 60 DH to Hell Act 3 solo:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#fRXdVT!aeY!cZZbbZ

There he died by nearly one-shotting myself (frost arrow) on reflect damage rares. What a shocking surprise that was. Since that happened, I promised that when getting to act 2 hell I'd swap out the bat for something else. The bat will happily attack mobs at the edge of the screen making it impossible to get a sneak peek at their affixes. He will also attack goblins which makes it suicidal to chase them.

New one is 57 in act 2 hell. I'm not sure what to replace the bat with. And I still don't know how I'll deal with reflect damage mobs, so taking suggestions from DHs that have progressed further.

7. moranor

moranor IncGamers Member

Unless you have completely off the wall DPS life on hit works quite well against reflect dmg mobs. With around 9k DPS 400 LoH was enough for me to be able to mitigate all reflect dmg, you could probably get away with less.

8. JomDarbert

Evasive Fire gives you a 15 yard backflip when things are close to you, which can be increased to 30 yards if you want the extra range. With tactical advantage, you also get that 60% speed boost - generally, if something gets close enough to cause me to backflip, I run away a few steps and then start the stutter-step firing again.

As for A3 inferno, when I say "farming" I mean killing the first 5-10 mobs on the bridge outside of town, with the townsfolk tanking for me. I can reasonably clear Act 1, but anything else is very scary. I think Enki and I are planning to start streaming our progress in Inferno, so it may be worth checking out if you want to see the build in action.

9. Solwolf

Solwolf Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Seems to me any DH build without Shadow Step is begging to die. Like my WD's Spirit Walk, Shadow Step breaks freeze and roots and jailer.

10. moranor

moranor IncGamers Member

I'll give it a try, it's just that I've been in some "oh ****" situations where I literally had to vault 6+ times in a row to get away from a super fast unkiteable elite. I'm also worried that it might make me dodge in a direction I don't want, since it's based on where the enemy is.

11. JomDarbert

It does require careful positioning. For the situation you mentioned, why not SS? Going invisible drops aggro - I very rarely still have things trying to kill me after running/chaining SS.

12. Dad Daniel

Dad Daniel IncGamers Member

The DH is really cool, but for my playstyle it seems to be rather fragile in hardcore. Besides too many mobs are farcasting, phasing, leaping, teleporting, e.g. removing the major defence on this character - the safty range.
    Anyway, yeasterday, my 37 lvl DH have died in Act2 Nightmare when my game crashed due to windows update...

13. Kragujevac

Kragujevac IncGamers Member

It is extremely dicey gameplay as a DH, you can't evade like a boss as an zon in this game anymore!

Since our survival comes not from mitigation but from avoidance, getting timing down on our dodge abilities and positional abilities requires some training because we can't just pop shield wall, we usually get deeds for failing a smoke screen or vault.

14. rberacha

Switched from Hungering Arrow to Evasive Fire: Covering Fire as my left mouse attack after listening to people rave about it.

Boy, is it good.

15. shoraz

shoraz IncGamers Member

Did you clear a2 inferno? solo or grp?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  16. rberacha

Has anyone tried EF:CF on left mouse and HA:DA on right...no hatred spender...pre level 59? (When you get Nether Tentacles)

It worked well for me having that as an AoE + Single target attack in NM.

17. mrmud

mrmud IncGamers Member

I dont see how that would be worth giving up ball lightning for.

18. rberacha

Try Ball Lightning on a boss then try HA:DA. There is no comparison unless I am missing something. EF:CF is my AE skill.

19. lanceuppercut

lanceuppercut IncGamers Member

i went with EF:CF as an AoE/main attack on left and impale:penetration for single target super piercing attacks and switching out for HA:DA and for impale:chem burn for bosses.

for me at least, HA as a secondary attack doesn't have the same "impact" as impale for a single target strike.

20. pezit

pezit IncGamers Member

I don't even think nether tentacles is better than the lightning ball, the AoE is not even close to as good and they hit for the same damage, the life steal seems completely worthless to me.