Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Halloween

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dawnmaster, Jun 6, 2013. | Replies: 23 | Views: 1293

1. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

When I was a child, Halloween didn't exist here, we saw it on television when watching an american (horror mostly) movie.
    My mother always decorated the house and made fancy meals because she liked the idea.
    Years after that, Halloween started seeping in our stores and in our shows, now it's a commercial thing.

But I've always enjoyed Halloween a lot, eventhough it's not a genuine "holiday".
    Since I moved out my parents house, I haven't been occupied much with Halloween,
    but ever since I moved in with my wife and we bought a house together, I got the itch again.

Nowadays, I organize (for a small group of friends) a yearly walk through the forest,
    where the pathway is filled with horror gadgets of my own design.
    Perhaps I won't be organizing one this year because Kevin is a little to young.

But I'm curious as to what ideas you'd want to see / build / use / scare?
    So I can prep myself with outsider ideas for a change.
    (most ideas my friends have seem to be restricted to running around in a white sheet...)

Peace
  2. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

There are books on this. One thing that works is blindfolding everyone (or sending them through a pitch black room) and making them feel objects that the host describes. Peeled grapes are eyeballs, cold noodles are worms, etc. A haunted house works better than a forest trail because of claustrophobia and having complete control of the environment.
  3. Dawnmaster

2 people from my group suggested this, but it's generally more considered for children (their intention as well),
    while I'm aiming for a more adult theme (but still suitable enough should any children accompany us)

Also, an entire forest gives you more options than a house:
    1) you have more space to do things / keep them seperated
    2) people have no idea where they're going / howlong it'll take
    3) people feel less comfortable, not knowing what surrounds them / what possible wild animals there might be
    4) people are more susceptable to "wild" stories when in a forest (eg: I've seen a wild boar here a few days ago)
    5) fire/smoke is more dangerous in a small room, compared to open area's in the woods
    6) the atmosphere is more tense and real in a forest (cracking wood / wind blowing)

And there are probably books, I was just looking for weird ideas people would have that aren't in the books ^^

For example, a few things I did last year:
    - they had to poor magic dust (salt) on a crystal ball (in a water box), which would then illuminate (closing electric circuit) and show them the path
    - there was a homemade graveyard with a glove crawling out the ground, fingers controlled by a remote
    - a fireball spread across the path (creamer), after which I jumped into the group dressed as freddy krueger

But I want to go bigger/badder/better :jig:
  4. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

heyyyyy it's a genuine holiday! a lot older than most holidays, in spirit anyway, since it is an amalgam of a few different ones
  5. Vivi

Vivi IncGamers Member

Is Sinterklaas a genuine holiday in your country? ;)

Oh no! Someone killed Noodle!

Books are a good suggestion for ideas. And from what I've read from your Brainiac style chemistry I'm sure you can come up with something. All I know is how to scare pepper.
  6. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I don't know why you would want to try and celebrate a holiday I hate.
  7. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Sounds like you have a good budget for this. In that case, I'll think up some ideas at work tonight. Right now, I think it'd be cool to have hidden assistants messing with people, as they can retreat into the woods. A forest trek does sound like an evolution of the haunted house theme. It sounds like you have them solve puzzles, complete a story, or do a scavenger hunt, which are also fun ideas.

What goes around comes around.
  8. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

The retailers have been pushing hard to try to create an interest in Halloween, or at least trick or treating, here in Australia. When kids come to the door I tell them to go forth and multiply.
  9. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

10. Dawnmaster

Actually I got some ideas from Mythbusters and Unchained Reactions :jig:

(espescially the part shows where do mention "do NOT try this at home" :whistling:)

Well, I have 2 good reasons:
    1) I like it.
    2) We live approx 8500 miles apart, so I don't think I'll be bothering you with any fancy stuff I'm doing here ^^

Actually, I keep the budget as low as possible, using mostly stuff I have lying around the house, or that get's thrown away at work.

I actually had 1 assistant sofar, for some reason, eventhough it's not that scary, most people are rather afraid to go into the woods after dark :scratchchin:

I try to keep the people busy rather than just letting them walk and look at things, I love interactions!
  11. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

If I leave now and maintain at least a brisk walking/kayaking pace I should make it there by Halloween. I'm gonna be really pissed if I go all that way to find you celebrating Halloween.
  12. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

I read your first post and just scrolled down. Can't believe Dredd has not posted in her. DAWN!! go ask Dredd! NOW! NOW1 NAOW!!1
  13. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

double post because i need to get my spam post count up and I'm lazy.

thank you, Ash, for pointing that out.

nooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have done the same exact thing and ran back to my car. Locked myself in. MAYBE drive away.
  14. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

My old roommate and I would have a house party and setup cardboard gravestones with a dry-ice fog-blower at the front entrance with a gauntlet of scares you had to run on the drive walkway into the house and the front hall.
    Nowadays a lot of people Setup a Flash camera at the best points and get reaction shots

Set them up to be downloaded and displayed inside party area, it adds a lot of fun after you go through.

BTW Diablo 1-2-3 background music is Appropriate.
  15. Dawnmaster

Good luck finding the address :thumbsup:

Let me now what time you'll be here, I'll save some soup for you!

Does Dredd have some thing with Halloween? In any way, the title should be enough to lure him in ^^

Sounds very very nice, but dry ice / fod blower / flash camera + setup also sounds like a bundle of expenses though.

I DO like the idea of using Diablo music, I'm kicking my head for not thinking about that sooner, it certainly would have added a little extra to the already nice atmosphere's I've created over the years :thumbsup:
  16. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Well my buddy was a Bass player in a band that played clubs in LA all the time so we had access to the equipment for free, but dry-ice is pretty cheep and you can use it with a pan of water and a fan in a semi enclosed area to contain it. A cell phone with a flash camera and a wireless connection and a computer that can display on the TV is pretty common now.

In any case you can do it cheep with some planning and thought or expensive. (or not at all)

Just depends.
  17. Dawnmaster

I know, but the minor problems make it rather complex or expensive for me to get those things:

I've searched high and low for dry-ice, you can't seem to buy it anywhere, you can order it online though, but have to pay with VISA (which I don't have and don't want to start with) and it seems rather expensive.

As far as the cellphone with a flash camera, they're rather expensive, in the order of 5 to 7 times the cost of my current one.
    And then, the computer which can display on TV, I've had a lot of computers, but none of them was capable of that, it requires an extra card that doesn't come in the standard package, the computer that have it are roughly 2-4 times as expensive as my current one.

They're all great ideas, but I tend to go with a bare minimum of shopping when I make/invent stuff.
    (and I do 2-3 years with a phone, and 5-7 years with a computer, so I don't buy new ones very often)

I'm a hard customer, I know :whistling:
  18. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Really Strange I can get it lots of places but I'm not in Belgium
    Try this?
    http://www.dryicedirectory.com/countries/belgium.htm

a lot of the machines use heat and fog juice and you can get rentals or hire they get used for leak detection and such as well but if it's not a option fake spider webs might do?

You do have cotton?

USB to TV sticks are Cheep over here.
  19. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

Try a local ice cream shoppe for dry ice.
  20. Dawnmaster

Unfortunatelly I live on the exact other side of Belgium ^^ But cheers for the info!

I've seen those fog machines, but don't they require a socket for power? Which are not available in the woods, I could go buy gasoline and a small generator for 500 euros, but that kinda defies the cheap solution again :crazyeyes:

And I can put USB sticks, which I have, into my TV, I just misunderstood your idea.
    I thought you meant that the pictures/video's where streamed live to the television,
    but you're actually referring to showing them after, silly (stupid) me...

That might not be a bad idea, definetally have enough of those in the neighbourhood :jig: