Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

guys give wkl a shot

Discussion in 'Monk' started by sweetalmonds, Nov 22, 2012. | Replies: 16 | Views: 4987

1. sweetalmonds

sweetalmonds IncGamers Member

some people might be turned off by it's relatively low damage and the fact that it can only have 2 random affixes but i gotta say the monk i just rebuilt with 90k dps don't seem any less efficient than the 120k dps skorn monk that i used to have. for simplicity 90k x 1.25(bonus lightning damage) makes it 112.5k. then 20% of 90k from cyclone is 18k x 0.25 = 4.5k, so with wkl 90k dps is really more like 116.5k dps. now that's actually not entirely accurate because i know fot/tc does 110% weapon damage and faster attack speed with the additional 35% aoe from thunder clap rune. that would make the bonus apply to 145%+ of lightning damage. also conviction was not factored in so the dps would be even higher with wkl than what my quick example showed. so if you are building a monk or sick and tired of the fear on ef give wkl a shot.

:thumbup:
  2. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Uh as everything is multiplication it doesn't matter if you say:

basdmg * lightning_bonus

and that multiplies with skill dmg, crit bonus dmg etc etc..
    or first multiply with skill dmg.. And in the end do the multiplication with "25% bonus dmg".

So you can just compare the dmges by in your mind multiplying the showed value with 1.3 for the WKL.

Btw you forget the 5% bonus damage to lightning skills.
  3. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

I swapped to WKL a lil while back and absolutely love it.

BTW, the 5% Lightning is applied to Lightning damage, not lightning skills. That's the ~20+ %.
  4. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Yes, but as thunderfist deals lightning damage, doesn't it also trigger the 5% bonus dmg?
  5. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

The 5% goes to any lighting damage applied by a skill. For Sweeping Wind's Cyclone for example, the little cyclones will get a boost of 5%, but not the aura of 45% weapon damage @ 3 stacks (that's still physical IIRC). Conversely, they wouldn't get the 25% skill damage since SW is not a lightning skill.

For FoT specifically, it would be applying both bonuses since all of its damage is dealt as Lightning (as are the 35% damage bursts from TC) and is a lightning skill. It's just a distinction to prevent confusion about which of the two percentages is applied to the whole skill vs portions.

The bonus isn't applied evenly to compare the two as simply as "multiply by the weapon's % on it". You'd have to factor in SW's increase in damage, FoT, and / or any other lightning vs physical damage you'd be also applying (willing to bet it's pretty much up to FoT and SW though). FoT would be [FoT'sDamX * WKLskill% (~1.25) * WKLlightningDam% (~1.06)] NOTE: I need confirmation on if these simply add, or multiply together.

Then do the same for SW's cyclones applying the ~6% (x 1.06). Add those and compare the damage boost. Otherwise you don't factor in two skills being boosted, but instead only do one, which won't accurately reflect whether or not you benefit or hinder from adding WKL. Though to be honest, the 6% of 20% Weapon Damage won't likely be a deal breaker >> On a subjective note, I've noticed that a physical Blade Storm or vanilla Cyclone didn't kill nearly as much as WKL's version. Those cyclones went from a little help to actually killing things outside of my immediate range. It's enough to make a noticeable difference, and is why I've stuck with it since getting mine. I haven't run numbers except to notice my display dropped, but crits on screen shot up tremendously.
  6. sweetalmonds

as far as the 6% to lightning damage goes i was told it's applied to everything. the 6% does show on your dps number but the lightning skill does +25% damage doesn't. like inna's belt for example if u equip one with 7% holy damage then equip one with 8% holy damage your damage increases assuming same dex bonus on it. it makes sense because barbs have been using zumi boots and 6% cold damage sojs for dps.

http://d3up.com/b/69500
    if you look at the dps gained by primary stat, elemental damage is 380 dps per percent. also the top dps barbs all use zumi boots
    http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/아더왕-3208/아더왕/2973962
    they have no skills that do poison damage but they still prefer to use that. monks use nats so you won't see them with zumi. i know the wording on it is confusing but im pretty sure the 6% adds to all forms of damage.
  7. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Well, I did forget that the armor ones like SoJ and Innas applying to the display (supposedly miswritten to apply x% as the element rather than only apply that to the element type), however, I hadn't heard it working on weapons. IDK though, I haven't done any testing or number crunching.

Are there things that show that are indeed applied separately, just like how x damage vs elites won't show, but is definitely applied?
  8. sweetalmonds

9. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

So we still have to weed out the display and find the "black" DPS before the WKL's Lightning damage...They don't make this easy :(
  10. sweetalmonds

yea i dont know if the displayed damage is even right if it only works with black damage. i guess like my wkl has 258-572 lightning damage out of the 380-857 total damage so ~67% of the damage on that weapon is lightning and only 33% of the damage is getting boosted by 5% elemental damage. but it doesnt make sense that the 258-572 lightning damage would not be boosted by something that says "add x% lightning damage" there wasn't anything on that page that says it doesn't work with the same element. so im confused about that as well.

i think im just making my original point more confusing but up to 25% damage boost to lightning skills is a lot. fist of thunder is 100% lighning damage and our main attack(for most) so up to 25% increase on that is really really good.
  11. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

I don't use wkl because it has retarded mods that you need a guide to understand what they mean and when you finally figure out what they mean you have to read another guide to know how to do the maths to calculate how much dps you would get out of it. Then you have to spend another couple hours comparing that weapon with your current to see which one is better.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.................
  12. windstriker

windstriker IncGamers Member

Prime example of how "simplifying" by showing only the "necessary" information in the game actually have made things more complicated :p
  13. Ban Jo

Ban Jo IncGamers Member

The bug that gives only black dmg to be applied from +x%elemental dmg got fixed in 1.0.5. Also it applies to anything. Still most of you don't know what you're talking about T_T Btw, I know exactly how wtl works and what to do to maximize the dps while using it and how to calculate it but is a WoT that most of you will not even read couz is "too hard/too obscure ecc" so... Why bother? Surf the internet, theorycraft about wkl are already there and can be found on battle net board.
  14. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Close, but it wasn't the "skills" that is the issue. It is the "x as y element" that was the problem, and has not been addressed; at least not in the official patch notes. No mention of weapon damage or its application to elemental damage.

Also no mention of what we're talking about or links to the magical answers that aren't in the Theorycraft section (they all say exactly what's been linked here)... Besides, the way this is / would be applied is nothing compared to Assassin IAS conversion.
  15. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

From what I recall reading on the forums around patch time, the specific bug they fixed with those affixes is how the extra damage was calculated; in 1.04 and previous, the extra elemental damage was based on the weapon's minimum physical damage x2, not the average of the weapon's physical damage as it should be. I'm too lazy to look up the specific blue post, but I think it may have been by Lylirria (however you spell it).
  16. Crensh

Crensh IncGamers Member

Can you back your statement about this being fixed with a link to the source of these information please?
  17. WNxZerker

WNxZerker IncGamers Member

there are two different elemental damage affixes and two different "Fixes" being discussed in this thread.

the +x% elemental skills damge only applies to skills that have that element as a base and as quoted earlier was fixed as was not being applied correctly.

the adds x% to Y element adds x% of Y element to your base damage, originally this added to your minmum physical damage this was changed to add x% to your minimum physical and x% to your maximum physical damage so instead of increasing your minimum damage by X% it now increases total physical damage by x%, this change was made o 1.05 and I belive this is the "Fix" that "Ban Jo" is incorrectly refering to.
    it does do more than it used to and increased the value of black weapons, it also is why most CM wizards go for non Triumvirate off hands, the x% does very little for their Chantodo's (fastest possible base weapon speed apoc weapon).

Zerker