Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Grim's Burning Dead vs Woestave on Merc

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by melk, Jun 17, 2013. | Replies: 3 | Views: 3037

1. melk

melk IncGamers Member

Right no in vanilla SP I found Grim's Burning Dead while clearing out Tristram (Still playing through Hell hopefully to actually beat it, Furthest I ever got in this game was Ancients with a Firewall Sorc but enough about my shortcomings). I am playing a Skellimancer and don't plan to use it in my build as I Plan to sit back and curse and pop corpses.

Now My Act2 Might Merc is currently equipped with a Woestave and I am not sure if Grim's Burning Dead which triples my damage is worth using

As far as I see its better damage output vs 50% Open Wounds so Woestave be great for bosses while GBD be faster clearing time getting through normal mobs.

Which is more important right now the damage output or the Open Wounds? I want to say the Open Wounds but seeing as Elite uniques are a rare occurance I'd like a second opinion.

PS sorry if this has already been discussed I did try to search. Also msg me if you need any gear or skill info on what I'm running if it makes a difference.
  2. UntwinkedPatriarch

UntwinkedPatriarch IncGamers Member

Hey Melk, as a player who's beaten Hell completely untwinked and unhacked (No RWM/ATMA/other 3rd party software) in SP every class, I'd have to say that a Woestave awesome and a powerful enough merc to finish the game on Hell mode (even without upgrading!). Slow Baal/Lister/Diablo/Meph = Dead B/L/D/M.

Having said that, for a skellimancer, I would go with Grim's Burning Dead because the synergy between your merc's Might aura and the higher damage output will greatly surpass the damage / regeneration prevention of OW. Even against bosses, if you also factor in the incredible elemental damage, GBD will still most likely result in quicker boss deaths. When you also consider increased life leech and attack speed, this advantage becomes even more pronounced.

Another thing to consider is that the other major advantage of Woestave, "slows target by 50%", doesn't combo with the one from your Clay Golem.

Not putting down Woestave as it is certainly an untwinked, no hack/RWM Hell viable weapon, it's just that GBD will make your runs through hell faster / more efficient / less tedious / boring.

By the way, can I assume you use skeleton mages to deal spectral damage?
  3. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

You make it sound like Woestave stops being viable if one plays twinked or uses RWM. Of course that's not the case.

Anyway, I think GBD (grim scythe, right?) is actually an exceptional weapon, not an elite one. Still, it does more damage and is faster. Good as OW is, I think I'd go for GBD.
  4. UntwinkedPatriarch

UntwinkedPatriarch IncGamers Member

Yeah, I looked at my reply again and it certainly does look like my own definition of the word "viable" got mixed with the definitions some other words into the blender that is my early senility.

This is probably one of the reasons why I decided not to major in literature.