Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Grenades and Rockets

Discussion in 'Demon Hunter' started by Niyougegema, May 2, 2012. | Replies: 12 | Views: 2706

1. Niyougegema

Niyougegema IncGamers Member

Grenades and Rockets

Ok so here is my attempt at theorycrafting a build for the character I am going to play on release... The Demon Hunter!

My 3 passives:
    Ballistics, because rockets are cool.
    Grenadier, because grenades are cool.
    Steady Aim, because most of my skills will allow me to be a fair way away from the enemy.

LMB: Grenades - Tinkerer. Grenades are cool, almost as cool as rockets. Grenades will be my skill of choice to spam to gain Hatred (given Tinkerer and Grenadier increase it to 8 per firing), and to pick off important foes in the back rows.

RMB: Elemental Arrow - Frost Arrow. Doesn't cost that much Hatred and will allow some needed crowd control.

Z: (Yeh, I'm gonna rebind my keys) Strafe - Rocket Storm. Strafe is great and will be my main general use hatred spender. I Loved it in D2 'cos it autohits; this version even lets you keep mobility so you can stay away from the melee range. Rockets are cool.

X: Cluster Arrows - Shooting Stars. This will cost 40, not 50 Hatred as per Grenadier. It will be used to kill monsters in the front line with highish HP. Also rockets are cool.

C: Sentry - Spitfire Turret. To add damage while not having to actually do very much. Rockets are cool.

V: Companion - Bat Companion. 'Cos I get lonely. Increased Hatred regen = more rockets, and as we have learned here... Rockets are cool. Also damage with no real input either.

So there it is. I am not choosing to use any real mobility skills, which may or may not work (I may have to sub out Companion for Smoke Screen - Lingering Fog, but I'll probably be ok :D). I've decided to go with Sentry and Companion as my only two Discipline using skills so that I can focus more on Hatred regen, as I shouldn't have much trouble keeping only those two skills running even with base Discipline.

Be critical, I wanna hear reccomendations that I can think about as I play the game building this type of character up.
  2. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

Re: Grenades and Rockets

You have overlapping hatred spenders. Drop elemental arrow since it doesn't really bring anything to the table. You have ballistics as a passive ability. Use it.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UiPjgT!egh!aYZYYZ

This is the one DH build i have saved up. Might swap weapon mastery to night stalker drop companion and take rain of vengeance instead. I think RoV is much stronger than it's getting credit for. 30 sec cd aoe and single target dps timer that has no cost and you can pair it up with shadowpower.
  3. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

Just keep in mind that Strafe in D3 is totally different from what it was in D2. Here Strafe is more like ranged whirlwind with random elements.
  4. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

So it is. There is one speculative assumption i make about strafe and that is that if there is only single target present all attacks attack that single target.

Rocket storm strafe 480% damage per cycle with ballistics. RF with homing rockets 386% per cycle and costs bit less hatred if you burn trough whole hatred pool.

If there are too many targets later on into the game and you need focused damage when there are more than 1 or 2 targets then swap strafe to RF. Strafe is king of single target dps, but if you can't wipe the waves with cluster arrow and grenade spam strafe loses it appeal. It's good for cleaning the remainders, but doesn't work if there are too many left.
  5. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

You won't benefit much from having both strafe and cluster arrow. A bit of a wasted skill slot.

The benefits of extra hatred bonuses get reduced the more hatred bonuses you have, so I'm not sure how beneficial it would be to stack too many of them over using other skills that might provide better benefits.

I do like the grenades+cluster arrow with grenadier passive. If I were to make a DH my build would most likely be based on those 3. The rest of the skills/passives, though, are a big question mark for me, as the usefulness of other skills is quite difficult to gauge by just reading their descriptions without some in-game experience (and I mean it relative to other classes where judging the value of skills, while still difficult, does seem easier than judging the DH skills).
  6. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

They fill two totally different roles. With grenadier you can throw out triple cluster arrow for the AoE effect, throw few grenades and clean it up with strafe or with RF. Either RF or strafe definitely have their spots earned and justified in that build. Cluster arrow is bursty AoE, but it costs way too much hatred to be viable choice as a single target hatred spender.

Maybe and just maybe if shooting stars all can hit the same target then cluster arrow could be viable single target spender with it's absurd 988% per cast damage, but i'm doubtful that it would ever work that way.
  7. Niyougegema

Niyougegema IncGamers Member

I need some form of crowd control with this build, either I use the cold damage AoE that the cheap Elemental Arrow gives, or I use something like entangling shot or caltrops or ?... Also I think that for larger groups I will be able to take them out ok with my hatred spenders (ok maybe not strafe, even with the rockets) and grenades. Don't forget the Sentry too.

I think Strafe and Cluster arrow have quite different roles here. Strafe provides mobility, which my build otherwise leaves me fixed in spot while I shoot. Cluster arrow is like a beefed up, frontline only grenades. It'll hit big and hard to a few enemies in the front of the action, it'l be my get out of jail skill when the big monsters start to get too close.

I'm still not too sure about that Bat Companion. But I don't want to be running low on Discipline too often. Maybe Smoke Screen - Lingering Fog will be better here...
  8. Zog Varnoka

Zog Varnoka IncGamers Member

For CC I would go with caltrops-hooked spines. Reason is that Ele arrow-frost will probably be impacted by resistances of mobs more easily than a snare. Also, the 80% snare of the caltrops-hs, even with fast moving mobs, should keep you ahead of them when using Strafe. Caltrops also can snare more than 4 mobs at one time. I bring this up because I think we will be seeing large (10+) packs of mobs in late nightmare+ difficulty.

While the build has nice AOE damage components to it, I worry about the single target/boss scenarios with it. Assuming that rockets from the Strafe, Sentry, and Cluster Arrow will target a single target then you're not in bad shape. If they do not though then you will probably have some tough times ahead.

I would keep the bat companion for your build. You will be using Cluster Arrow a lot and the additional hatred regen will be needed. You get what, 6 hatred per grenade use and 3 per second with bat plus passive regen. So that is roughly 3.5-4 seconds to regen the hatred used by your Cluster Arrow which i do not consider bad. This is assuming of course that mobs do not attack the sentry or the bat. If you have to cast either of them frequently you may run into discipline issues so the caltrops could be a problem.

There is just so much we do not know right now and it will be fun learning to say the least. I like your themed build though XD Sound like fun.
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  9. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

8 hatred per grenade.
  10. Sulle

Sulle IncGamers Member

I personally don´t think that having both of the skills is a waste of skill slot, since they are completely different from each other:

Strafe is a damage distributor+ move ability which makes you save time and that equals to more efficiency. It also fires instantly and there´s almost no travel time and it never misses, if I remember correctly so it has a lot of tactical utility and that´s what´s it´s for, whereas cluster arrow is a good old aoe and more focused on a certain area.

So having both at the same time doesn´t mean, that you won´t have enough hatred or that it´s a waste, since you will only use one of them depending on the sitation, which ultimately could make your build more effiicient, because you have more tactical choices.

11. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Variety may seem nice, but there's almost always something that seems better to have. For example you could take vault for mobility and use all hatred on cluster arrow damage, and if you have discipline problems ditch one of the discipline skills for preperation (probably with healing rune so you also don't have to use shadow power as much).
  12. SRPang

SRPang IncGamers Member

Came up with this build...what do you guys think?

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UcPkYT!fgh!abZaaZ

Going to use Cluster Arrow and Grenades to thin the packs out...Rapid Fire for focusing down single targets/bosses.

Will probably also get rid of Sentry in favor of Vault in Inferno for the added mobility. Still haven't decided if I want to use Perfectionist, Vengeance, Steady Aim, or Archery as my first passive skill. Will just have to see how the game plays out and what works best.
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  13. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UcPjgl!Ygh!abZYYY

This is my latest after some fine tuning.

Choice of weapon crossbow and stat focus should be DEX > Crit > AS. Lacks a bit of mobility, but then again build barely uses discipline outside shadow power. Defensive plan is to roll shadow powers and stack them with Anathema and just tank what you have to.

Definitely co-op focused build. Wouldn't recommend using this is single player mode.

Evolution is that i swapped strafe to rapid fire after i noticed that RF has the fixed rate rocket fire. RF should be fairly easy on the hatred if you use slow hard hitting weapon. If you use crossbow then it's better to use steady aim instead of archery as long your crit chance % doesn't become ridiculously high.