Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Greetings SPF! I am Kalikan.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Kalikan, Aug 23, 2012. | Replies: 16 | Views: 509

1. Kalikan

Kalikan IncGamers Member

Hello all! My name's Kalikan and I've been playing D2 on and off since 2002ish. Most of my previous experience was on the bnet ladder, but last summer my buddies and I decided to TCP/IP it up and play together untwinked/single-pass SC in prep for D3. It was then that I discovered this forum and I've been lurking around ever since. With what seems like an influx of new intro threads I figured I'd introduce myself as well, since I've enjoyed this forum so much, especially the well written Mat/Pat/Guardian posts.

With the release of D3 I thought I would never think of D2 again. But... I haven't even purchased that game yet. So one day in July when my internet went out I decided to play some D2. But it and my sweet stash* were on a hard drive that crashed. So I thought to myself, "It's ok, I can just download it from b-net, sweet! Crap." Anyway my interest in D2 was piqued enough that when I did get the net back I downloaded and installed D2 and now I have a 77 fishy in Act 1 Hell along with numerous lower chars.

I've played only with GoMule so far, but I'm considering RWM. I don't play too much, so my goals are pretty simple: some casual MFing w/ my necro and finally beating the game with a melee character. I'm thinking either WW or FrenzyBarb, or Fanatic or Tesladin.

*The downside to playing single player with GoMule is that it has fueled my hoarding compulsion. My sweet stash was all the junk I picked up just cause, "I might need it someday." I think the only real loss was like a Tal's armor and some mid-runes. Is that a real loss, I dunno? It all seems valuable to me.*

Thanks for reading my wall o'text and making such an awesome community.

(Pops a few ibuprofen and waits for the shin-kicking.)
  2. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

Welcome!

*kicks shins gently*

I started out playing with just ATMA, because I wanted to really be able to appreciate nonsense like Spirit and Insight when I went to RWM. I'm glad I played it that way. My stashes are huge too. I keep saying that someday I'll sort them out or make a twinked stashbuster character, but that hasn't happened yet.

Aww, sorry to hear about your lost Tal's Armor. I have only one, and I keep hoping another will drop (I keep making specialized sorcs to run different mf/rune targets and I don't like to swap their gear around when I feel like running something else). Hopefully your fishy will find you another soon!

Any of those melee chars you mentioned would work. Be sure to have enough life leech and AR for Hell, watch out for mana burn when WW... Good luck and hope to see some Pat threads soon! =)
  3. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Welcome!

*Jumps in front of the folks with shinguards in their hands*
    *Puts on Godly Myrmidon Greaves of Shin Destruction*
    *Lands Epic Shin Kick to Kalikan's shins*
    *Steals wallet*
    *Pulls down pants*
    *Runs away laughing manaically*

GOOOOD LUUUuuuuuuuuck!

***EDIT***

AARGH! Ninja'd by SunsetVista!
  4. mr teach

mr teach IncGamers Member

FTFY

Ok Welcome - i see the normal greetings have been done so nothing much to do for me
    ... i like to think that i was the first of that newcomer wave ^^
    anyways lost stash is bad - but if its only mod runes they drop a lot - and even i have a tals now so you necro will surely find one or two in the near future ( just run the pit - or pindle if you are up for an mindnumbing task)

so have fun may your drops be what you want and so..
    i have to go now - my necro has another date with pindle and the missing D-Web

5. Moar

Moar IncGamers Site Pal

Welcome to the SPF!

Too late for shinguards, I see.

*hands out complementary shinlotionof the soothingness*

Drop by at the bar for a dew and silly OT talk. :)

I think I was at grail -10 when I got bored and stopped playing in 2007 or 2008. Now I'm happy again finding all the shinys a new.
    Have to go now too. My zon also has a date with pindle and the still missing DWeb. ;)
  6. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Welcome!

Can't wait to see my write-ups! Also, make a singer ;)
  7. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I'd add a Frost Zealot to the mix of possibilities - Kitteh wrote a good guide on that - from what I understand, that's pretty much the most gear-independent melee build out there.

If you want to take the long road (the road I took, and it's long!), you could start out a couple 1.09 characters (you need ATMA as GoMule doesn't work for time-traveling), collect enough runes to make 1.10s (beta) Crescent Moon and Call to Arms (in a +Holy Shield War Scepter), collect some staples like HoZ and LoH, and make you a nice OP Teslot.

But, that maaaaay be more than you're ready to take on - I'm somewhat of an oddball here :whistling:

Since you're RWM, I'd definitely suggest planning on Oath and Grief - those make any melee character mighty tough. Have your Fishy look for 5os Phase Blades and 4os Ethereal Cryptic Swords, Highland Blades, Balrog Blades, etc. I'd HIGHLY recommend not overlooking the early runewords like Rhyme, Holy Thunder, King's Grace, and especially Honor - I'm confident that an Honor Divine Scepter can get a Pally through NM, and I know a pair of Honor Zweihanders is very effective on a WW barb. Here's one trick I claim credit for coming up with for a WW Barb - pick up all Legend Swords (I even rolled one with pgems) and look for Cruel - a Cruel Legend Sword socketed with a Shael rune gets to the last WW speed breakpoint AND IS AVAILABLE AT LEVEL 44! Talk about mowing through some normal Baal runs for serious XP!
  8. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

Welcome, Kalikan!

(Everything seems to be kicked/stolen when I post on intro threads...)
  9. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

Greetings! If you are as crazy as RobbyD then id do what he says but if not then just play in 1.13 and have fun!

Most of the guys have given all the usual greetings so I'll stop there.

Also; didnt know pharphis was a purply now!?
  10. pharphis

I invented the colour, you know. Ya, just today.

11. mr teach

mr teach IncGamers Member

kitteh wrote a frost zealot guide - where is it - i want to read it

edith:
    and purple pharphis always telling people to make singer - point me to what a singer needs and i will build one (after the MFO)
  12. pharphis

fine! After the MFO I'll finally get around to helping FoE make the singer guide like we planned a month ago!

Very quick Untwinked strategy: nope, don't have time :p
    Read my thread, I might have said something in there :p it's in the mat/pat thread, named "thetenortremor".
  13. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

14. djmbbandie

djmbbandie IncGamers Member

Why do people come when I am asleep?

*kicks shins

Welcome to the SPF. Drop in at the Bar for Dew and conversation.
  15. Malevolent

Malevolent IncGamers Member

MOAR NEWCOMERS!!!!

:jig:

WELCOME! i am always too late to get some shin kicking done :(
  16. Solar Ice

Solar Ice IncGamers Member

Welcome! *kicks shins*

Durf did it, not me!
  17. spearv

spearv IncGamers Member

Hola! Welcome, I won't kick you anywhere :p