Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Greatest sports moments of YOUR country

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by krischan, May 4, 2013. | Replies: 19 | Views: 1722

1. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

YOUR country. No complaining about others!

My #1: Germany 1954 football championship (sorry, only German footage on this one):

"6 Minuten noch im Wankdorf-Stadion in Bern. Schäfer nach innen geflankt. Kopfball... abgewehrt. Aus dem Hintergrund müßte Rahn schießen... Rahn schießt...TOR! TOR! TOR! TOR!" Almost every German knows these words, at least those who are interested in football.

Perhaps it's not perceived as such elsewhere in the world and football of 1954 may look a bit clumsy in retrospect, but Germany restored a LOT of its self-confidence after WW2 after this greatest sports victory they EVER achieved. We won against overwhelming odds.

#2: Beijing 2008, Matthias Steiner wins the Olympic gold medal in heavyweight weightlifting:

If you liked the movie "Over the top", this is the real thing! On his final lift, Matthias Steiner was quite a bit behind, so he had to lift more than 20 pounds than he ever lifted before. The power of love to his wife who died 2 or 3 years before gave him the strength to win against all odds, tapping a resource which nobody else had.

0:42: "This brings a tear to your eye (correct?)... You are looking at the strongest man in the world!"

The most epic moment of Olypmpic games for me, ever. Sometimes it needs more than strength to be the strongest. It made me cry, seriously.

#3: Football yet again, Germany-Argentina 4-0 in 2010, the greatest German football performace I've ever seen in the almost 46 years of my life:

1:50: "Brilliant, wonderful, glorious, GERMANY!"

Now show off with yours! I'm sure you have your own epic moments!
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
  2. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

I'm in the Land of Basketball
    Wilt Chamberlain

[​IMG]

Great Moment:
    Wilt Chamberlain Scores 100 Points in a Single Game

Wilt Chamberlain’s 100-point game, named by the National Basketball Association as one of its greatest games, took place between the Philadelphia Warriors and the New York Knicks on March 2, 1962 at Hersheypark Arena in Hershey, Pennsylvania. With 46 seconds left, Chamberlin had 98 pts. Chamberlain got free from the five Knicks, jumped high and stuffed the ball through the hoop for an alley-oop slam dunk to hit the century mark. The arena exploded in a frenzy. Over 200 spectators stormed the floor, wanting to touch the hero of the night. Some confusion remains about whether the game’s last 46 seconds were played. According to the NBA, play was halted and never resumed.
    :D
    I'm not even talking about his bedroom sports moments that you make that 1 a 2 and add a couple of Zeros to that record with.
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
  3. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

Hmm, I suppose that the bulls would be seen as greater, but my fav is the bears superbowl win. I was a little kid and was hooked on watching American football ever since.
  4. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

Was that the season with Walter Payton and The Refrigerator? What a fantastic team they were. :nod:
  5. Stevinator

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2013
  6. LozHinge the Unhinged

That's a bad link to a very bad bad place!
  7. krischan

Seriously, nobody outside of the US seriously cares about the Superbowl. Don't you have epic moments under the eyes of an international audience? My view of #1 may be a national exception, even though it has been a world championship, but I think nobody has beaten my #2 so far :p.
  8. LozHinge the Unhinged

When scripts go wrong

Of course, this is only a great achievement in the sense that since 1966 it has been a FIFA requirement that England lose to [West] Germany :yes:
    This game had such an effect upon the English psyche at the time that it got written into a movie covering completely unrelated issues, Dog Soldiers.

This one has to rank amongst the greatest moments - Ellen MacArthur fastest solo circumnavigation of the globe. Sorry for wiki link.

Botham's Ashes - another English underdog bites back moment in sport. At the time it was nothing short of astonishing and I was moved, even though I'm not a big fan of cricket. Astonishing individual effort that lifted an entire team.

I wanted to become a Cameroon during the 1990 FIFA World Cup Finals when the African minnows embarrassed Maradona's Argentina. Roger Milla at 38 years of age amazed us all with his skill, spirit and exuberance when he was on the pitch. I felt a national pride for a country I have never been to. Plus, poking the Argentinians in the eye at football - gotta love that.
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  9. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Kirk Gibson Comes to mind for some reason.
    1st game of the series but set the tone.

Dodger's & A's 1988
    Kind of an American KC at the Bat thing though.

I would put that series up there over the next years 1989 A's series with the SF Giants & QUAKE

and the Win for them.
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  10. krischan

I guess I will never understand baseball :whistling:. So the guy shot the ball out if the field and everybody could finish their round. That probably leads to a rather high score and it may not happen in every game but it's not such a rare occurrence, is it?

In 3 years we have a golden anniversary of Germany winning all important matches against England. I'm fine with that tradition coming with England winning irrelevant games, maybe even a 5-1 every now and then. [​IMG]

If I was from England, I would be embarrassed about the DVD of that unimportant qualification game being among the best-selling sports DVDs over there. For me, it would look like an admission of one's frustration, glee and envy or like regarding it like a David vs Goliath situation.

I admit that the 1-5 left a terrible feeling for me, but it was less terrible than Germany's pathetic performance in the Europe championship a few months later... in which England and Germany ended up in the same group again and were thrown out before reaching the KO games BTW.
  11. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

It wasn't "MY country" but I adored the body check against the Chinese women's hockey player last Olympics. I got too much nasty when I tried to look up the video.

I can't even remember who the opposing team was, but the girl pulled a tight radial turn and rammed her helmet into the Chinese player's gut. You could almost see her eyes pop out of their sockets.
  12. LozHinge the Unhinged

kris, you can already imagine how embarrassing it is to be English, you don't need the English football team to demonstrate that!

However, when Argentina and Germany play, I think there should be a rule change to allow for them both to lose the match. I literally cannot decide which side I hope loses.
  13. BRKO

BRKO IncGamers Member

The 2005 Ashes worth mentioning too. And England may win the urn for the 4th time in a row this year :)
  14. krischan

I don't think it's embarrassing to be English.

Regarding football, I for myself favour England to most other countries, including Argentina :)
  15. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

16. Stevinator

Yeah but the only sports i like are football and soccer, and we suck at soccer. I try to watch the european leagues sometimes, but i don't know the players that well or follow it close. It's tough not having a home team.

The MLS has a chicago team, but that league isn't the same as watching these amazing clubs do amazing things.

Plus I answered subjectively, since my favorite sports moments were the bears winning and the bull's first three-peat.

For the whole country, you could put up some feel good stuff. For Feminists, there was that tennis match Where Billy Jean King beat that guy. Or if you're really into Racial Politics you could say Jesse Owens in the 1936 olympics, or Jackie Robinson playing baseball. But I was not yet alive and don't really care so much about those events. They're historical facts like Columbus accidently finding the Caribbean. I'm sure they were great moments for other people, but for me, to be a great sport moment there has to be an emotional attachment to it. You can't have that if it was before your time.

I'm sure I could come up with some more. Anyone that hates the Cubs might laugh and say Steve Bartman interfering with the ball and making the Cubs lose was pretty emotional for them. I'm not really a cubs hater (more of a baseball ignorer). And I didn't even see it happen in real time.

Or maybe you were looking not for greatest impact, but for most athletic, most amazing--that kind of thing. Well, there I wasn't far off with the bulls. Paxson's 3 was indeed pretty clutch, and it won the three-peat.
    http://www.craveonline.com/sports/articles/190749-nba-finals-greatest-moments-unlikely-hero-in-1993
    Plus, the first three-peat was a really big deal--even non-basketball fans were into it.

Or the time Walter Payton's Ghost supposedly helped block a field goal to beat the packers. That was regular season, and it wasn't a ghost, but every game against your rival is a big deal.

I'll think about some more.
  17. krischan

I didn't mean winning by being overwhelmingly good, but achieving a remarkable feat or giving the whole nation an extraordinary emotional moment, see also SD's link. US Americans seem to be different to people here with respect to sports. It seems as if they are often cheering about success itself, so local events may have an effect which wouldn't be possible here.

There's no way that all of Germany is going to celebrate the victory of a particular team in the current Bundesliga season or even in an international tournament. This year it's two German teams being in the Europe Champion's League final, so we already had our national moment about it. The most which a sports club can expect here is the acknowledgement of let's say two thirds of the people while 20% may even be unhappy about the outcome.

It doesn't even have to be a victory. Wembley 1966 might be called an epic sports moment for both Germany and England. For Englishmen, it was the victory, of course while for Germany it might be a match it which it needed an irregular goal (or two, for nitpickers) to be defeated.
  18. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

The sports that are popular in America are not as popular elsewhere, if the USA were to face another nation in football or baseball or basketball, victory would be expected and defeat would be a great disappointment (this is less the case with baseball in recent years). So there isn't a nationally popular sport where we would have long established rivalries with other nations where we are on equal footing.

I'm not even a fan of USA soccer/futbol, and keep in mind, when they play a team like Mexico on American soil, 80% of the fans (including me) are rooting for Mexico, so there isn't national unity even for the national team.

The 1980 US Men's Hockey Team gets a lot of this kind of attention, they were underdogs and won, and we do like underdogs over here. Its not quite as exciting to see the Dream Team kill everyone by 30+ points as it is to see a bunch of college kids knock off Soviet professionals. That's the only thing I can think of that is in the realm of what you're asking for.
  19. Stevinator

That's a good one, but it also feels like a historical footnote and not a "great victory". Perhaps because it too was before I was born.

I agree that we don't really associate ourselves with national teams vs another. I mean if i didn't have a buddy crashing at my place who was into the olympics, I wouldn't have even turned much of it on. Even the coverage is really all about medal counts.

Plus, the country is so big, our rivalries are between states and cities in national leagues. The Bears and the packers, the cubs and the cardinals, etc, so all the great sporting events are those teams, and occasionally, between some college teams. Ohio State and Michigan comes to mind in football. So those are the "big" games with all the emotion. Remember, the US is pretty big, and a lot of our citizens have never left the country. Heck, I've only gone on one international vacation that wasn't just some tourist beach, and that was only because I had family there. I don't even have a valid passport anymore.
  20. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member