Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Good news for science, bad news for ID!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkPotHead, Dec 24, 2005. | Replies: 98 | Views: 2808

1. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

Good news for science, bad news for ID!

This is several days old already but I don't think anyone made a thread about it yet. Anyways, a judge appointed by Bush ruled that Intelligent Design is creationism with a new name.

Source

Glad that's settled.
  2. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Or you could have said that Bush confirmed an intelligent judge who ruled on the law, not what the popular opinion may be.

Your way is as dumb as their way. Congrats, you're an idiot. Keep America strong.
  3. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

"Breathless inanity"
  4. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

As a side note, isn't it just as dogmatic to force students to hear a speech saying "Evolution IS flawed" as it is to tell them "Evolution ISN'T flawed"? Surely they should be trying to tell kids that "Evolution MAY BE flawed". Although apparently they don't need to provide any unrefuted evidence for it, just vague hints. I don't see them telling kids that the law of gravity may be flawed.
  5. eds01

eds01 IncGamers Member

In my newspapers article about ID today, they kept refering to the "theory of Intellegent Design." Ugh. ID isnt a theory, it isnt even a hypothosis for that matter. Reporters need to learn that hypothosis's must be falsafiable to be a hypothosis, among other requirements.
  6. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

ugh, conflict sells newspapers. reporters say what they say to sell more newspapers, not to be fair or honest.
  7. Machina

Machina IncGamers Member

Why don't they just 'teach' "Intelligent Design" in religious education classes?
  8. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

Whats the difference between ID and creationism?
  9. Stevinator

Proponent of ID are very careful not to mention exactly which God/being/speghetti monster created everything, though they all fall into two categories, creationists in ID clothing and tin foil hat wearers. the tin foil hat wearers are not given much credibility (they say the intelligence was aliens), and are much fewer than the creationists so the difference is moot.

ID focuses on "flaws" in evolution--usually easily explainable misconceptions--and present only that someone/something had to plan this whole mess out. While this is technically wiped clean of any particular religious messages, the motivation behind the movement is to spread doubt about evolution, so that people will seek other answers. they're hoping those answers are creationist teachings. The real ID concept is without the word God in there anywhere, they can teach it in public school.
  10. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

If it leads to the birth of young-earth creationists and ID proponents, I'd have to say that evolution is most definitely flawed. :xmas17:
  11. Peregrine

Peregrine IncGamers Member

There isn't, no matter what the ID supporters would like to claim. It's nothing more than a dishonest attempt to sneak biblical creationism through separation of church and state. They think that if they don't actually use the word "god", people will be stupid enough to think it's a whole new concept. That and by using scientific-sounding terms for it, they try to give it an illusion of legitimacy that might fool the idiot masses into thinking there's real science behind it.
  12. Immortality

Immortality Banned

Ugh, why are we still on this issue?
    ID = Dumb
    Evolution = Somewhat Flawed, yet still can be improved.
  13. publius

publius IncGamers Member

One thing I've been wondering:

Define "flawed" theory?
  14. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

The kind of theory of which three are needed before you can cube up to a normal theory.
  15. Stevinator

proponents of ID don't want to be relagated to theology classrooms. they want ID taught along side evolution. frankly, I bet most of them would like to see evolution taken out of the classroom.
  16. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

The theory of evolution is not flawed; it only has gaps, just like the theory of gravity.
  17. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

18. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I thought they were pitfalls.

I still don't see why no one can except a God that is rational and wants to remain ambiguous to separate out those of faith and the suck ups.

Both sides of this argument seem extremist and biased in the "Your side is stupid because our side is based off of something we can't prove. Besides it doesn't really matter because we aren't thinking like humans." kind of way.

This is really the theist vs atheist debate in disguise.
  19. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

"The Bible is not a science book" - Galileo

I have to reconcile my scientific mind with my faith. Fortunately, the Catholic faith does not say that evolution is incorrect and creationism is correct. The late Pope John Paul II said that the two are not mutually exclusive and that there's no reason God could not have used evolution.

Evolution, though, is science and creationism/ID is philosophy. Evolution therefore should be taught in science class and ID should be reserved for philosophy/theology class.
  20. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

See, I must be one of those wacked out nut jobs.