Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Gold in D2 vs gold in D3

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by Roshi, Apr 4, 2013. | Replies: 24 | Views: 3043

1. Roshi

Roshi IncGamers Member

Because gold was easy to get in D2, it had no value. Trading was done using runes. This "mistake" of the developers was in fact a great discovery. Runes could not be farmed, so - nobody was bored farming.

If there is a currency in some online game, and that currency is valuable and farmable at the same time (in D2 gold was only farmable), this can lead to boredom. When I played D2, I never did Baal runs more than level 80. After that I would level and MF on my own in level 85 areas and - sometimes killing Mephisto, Andariel.

If some people did Baal runs to get items - the boredom level was lower than in D3. Every time the drop was different, perfect items were hard to get, there was more stuff to look after (whites, eth, blues, runes) and there were no broken set or legendary items. It was not something that could be measured in hours like "I have to do 8-9 more hours of this and I am guaranteed an item from the AH even if I don't find anything useful for anyone". This is guaranteed to lead to boredom.
  2. PearlJamaholic

PearlJamaholic IncGamers Member

Um i think runes were farmed....the countess and hellforge rushing
  3. Roshi

Roshi IncGamers Member

That was not easy like gold farming in D3. Only a few people did that, I find it boring :)
  4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Gold farming was easy in D2. Frenzy barb with Lem'ed IK helm, 2x upped Lem'ed Ali Baba (two echoing spears in the weapon switch), Wealth runeword, Chanceguards, Goldwrap, Infernostrides (or rare GF+fire res boots) and some rings and amulets and you are set for nightmare Travincal. That equipment may cost a handful of pgems or two.

There are more important things in D2 to do than gold farming, however.

*chokes up coffee*

In D2, 90% of all uniques and set items were junk.
  5. Roshi

Roshi IncGamers Member

Yes gold farming was easy but gold was useless so nobody was bored farming gold.
    In D2 all items were useful to someone. The system was perfect. If all items were good - it means they were equally worthless. Only a few were good, but the rest were not useless, like some are in D3 because of wrong stats.
  6. krischan

No, nearly all items aren't worth picking up, even for poor players. Most of them are as good as a random rare item and a few even have difficulties to compare with magical items. For example, why in heaven's sake is Arcanna's or Milabrega's set of any use? Its single pieces are worse than what you can by from an ingame vendor. At the time you complete the set and benefit from all its bonuses, you will certainly have equipment a which is better by so many orders of magnitude that there can be just one word for the set: Junk.

Most other sets have just one or two useful items at the time you meet its reqs. With respect to efficiency, there are probably just three sets which are worth wearing in full IMO at the time they are supposed to be worn: Sigon's, IK and Tal's. I agree that efficiency isn't everything, however.

BTW, I never was rich. At the time I gathered the resources to finish let's say Tal's set, many others already had HRs or items which were worth that much.
  7. zorroaster

zorroaster IncGamers Member

1. in d2 you could farm gold, and it wasn't worthless, you could sell it to gamblers. In current state d3 gold doesn't worth that much more, since you have to pay billions for a good item, and you can usually pick up only a few hundred k/hour

2. in d2 you could also farm runes, but since since high runes were duped, lower runes lost a lot from their relative value

3. in d2 most of set and unique items were also trash. A big difference though, that there were many uniques, that were really good even with below average roll (shako, mara, windforce)

4. d2 was really far from perfect and with the current state of d3, I feel the difference isn't too big. Both are heavily influenced by bots and dupers, and highest items are unique, runeword or crafted / legendary, set or crafted only we have account bound crafted in d3.

you either haven't played with d2 that much, or you have some rose-tinted glasses on.
  8. Roshi

Roshi IncGamers Member

I don't care about hackers. If they wanted, they could fix it. A game is not broken because of hackers. D3 could remove all bots and I still would not play it, it's boring.

Runes could not be farmed - except by doing boring stuff like Hellforge running alts or countess runs. But even that did not guarantee anything. Sell gold to gamblers? With a character specially equipped for gold farming? Sure is boring - and on top of that you get nothing valuable. I mean - if someone was gambling or selling gold to gamblers it was a side thing. There was no farming in D2. Killing Baal or Meph 1000 times is not farming, you are not guaranteed anything.
  9. BRKO

BRKO IncGamers Member

Gold is not useless in d2. The best items I ever acquired myself were those I had gambled. As Krisch says, gf builds are easy to make and efficient. My favourite one is gf necro summoner with CE.
    God, how I miss d2-style gambling in d3!
  10. zorroaster

zorroaster IncGamers Member

Lets try once again:

"Because gold was easy to get in D2, it had no value. " false, you could always sell gold to gamblers

"Runes could not be farmed" false, its pretty easy to rush another player to hellforge and get up to gul (pul guranteed), then cube it up

"If some people did Baal runs to get items - the boredom level was lower than in D3" baal runs were boring imo

"there were no broken set or legendary items" completely false, if you mean sets and uniques

"In D2 all items were useful to someone. The system was perfect." completely false, lets see: there were some whites that could be used for runewords: only a few had real value (like 3soc Ap 15% def), that maybe less then 0.01% of whites. There were some godly blues (jewelers xx of something, like JMOD) I think that prolly less then 0.001% of blues. The rares were about the same quality like in d3, probably 1/1000 worths using. Uniques were binary: either worthless or very good, range was obviously quite a bit smaller. Set items and set were generally much worse: there were only a few combos (like angelic) or pieces (guillaume helm, mavina diadem, trang oul gloves)and ik+tal for endgame. And there were the runewords, most of which supposedly very hard to complete, in reality you could sell pgems and low runes and get duped runes freakin cheap. And crafting, which was only more interesting, cause it wasn't account bound.
  11. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

I think Baalruns (really the only thing most of the players did) were the most boring part of D2. Nothing in D3 is as boring as Baalruns.
  12. krischan

A D3 Baalrun would actually be exciting :)

Seriously, there were much more boring things in D2. How long does something take to become boring? I think it's 10 seconds when e.g. shopping for echoing spears while it will certainly take much longer before Baal runs become boring for you.

Besides, what do you expect in Baal runs? If you do them in open bnet games, all you get is XP while the bots and pickit cheaters will take the loot on most cases. I wouldn't call that boring, but unprofitable and frustrating.
  13. 0blique

0blique IncGamers Member

I haven't played D2 for a few years, but when I last played (SC ladder), the closest equivalent to gold in D3 is crafting supplies like perfect gems, junk jewels, and low-mid runes (ral particularly, but ort-sol were pretty good). If you knew where to look (ie. not trading channels), then you could get pretty much anything you want for enough of them, including high runes and torches. Gems and such could be farmed fairly easily, and you could very quickly trade for uniques other items far more quickly than it would take to find them yourself, as most items were not worth very much. The situation in D2 was so close to what what has happened in D3, that I was kind of surprised that anyone was surprised.
  14. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

D2 gold isn't useless because it's "easy to get," but because there's no AH and its main use is niche gambling. D3 gold would be nearly as useless if they took away the AH. But not quite as bad, since you'd still need it to upgrade gems (and due to a recent patch, craft).

Baal runs did get boring after awhile, but there were still lots of different lvl85 areas in different acts you could farm, different boss runs/routes and so on. You could just hop act to act and do whatever. D3 = A3 spinning. It doesn't even have the equivalent of a Baal run to get bored of. It's like doing Bloody Runs over and over.
  15. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Doing 1k mephruns or council runs SP would be more boring.

D2's system was one that favored botters, dupers and hackers.

While D3's system does favor those too, though it makes it alot easier for people who do not play 17 hours a day and/or bot to attain any sort of playable gear. Also, while the runs may look bland in D3, comparing that to just constantly repeating mephs / councils / tc87 areas? I'll pick the variety please.
  16. Twilering

Twilering IncGamers Member

People never mention what the reason is why gold never caught on as a currency in d2. It's because there were caps on how much gold you could hold at one time on your character and stash. From the Arreat Summit:

Your character can carry 10,000 gold per level. For example, a 10th-level character can carry up to 100,000 gold. A level 99 character can carry 990,000 gold. The maximum amount of gold a character can carry with stash is 3,490,000, at level 99. Gold does not share space with items or weapons in your backpack as it did in Diablo.

Thus you wouldn't trade anything for gold that you thought was worth more than ~1 million gold. And gold was so easy to come by so this price control was binding. Why doesn't anyone ever mention this?
  17. Thattly

Thattly IncGamers Member

I kinda disagree that D3 gold would be useless if they took away the AH. There are still other D3 AH in the web that players do safe trades.
  18. ryuuhei

ryuuhei IncGamers Member

like where? trading gold and other in-game items are very risky if you do it in forums and such....
  19. Flux

Flux Administrator

I've been thinking about gold in D3 lately, and arguing with Azzure about it. Basically, gold is now a commodity that's only of use because of the GAH. If there wasn't a GAH, would anyone care about gold? The only real in-game purpose for it is upgrading gems, and eventually softcore players have pretty much all the gems they need. Repairs cost almost nothing and crafting isn't that expensive either, compared to how much gold you can pick up so quickly while playing with a high level char.

I don't normally keep track of gold picked up, but testing on the PTR today my achievements were reset, and in a few very quick games with a P81 Paladin, just exploring A1 and A2 and A4 for the increased monster density, I dinged up to the 1m gold pick up achievement well before I was finished. And that was in under two hours, and I was leaving tons of 2-3k gold stacks since it was the PTR so I didn't care.

So, back to my original point. Gold in D3 is only marginally more useful (in game) than it was in D2. There gold was useful for gambling, which was a crap shoot with very long odds to produce something useful, but it made picking up gold worth it once you had high GF, if only because there was nothing else to spend it on but gambling rings/amulets/circlets. In D3, if we didn't have a GAH... gold would be no more useful than it was in D2. You'd only care about it for crafting expenses, and that works exactly like gambling did in D2 -- long term gold sink with very low odds to improve on your gear, but useful since there's nothing else to do with the gold (in a hypothetical no-GAH version).
  20. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

As someone that's never used the GAH, I actually disagree. Or, rather, I agree in theory, but disagree in practice. I don't actually "care" about gold. It's a boring linear number. However, gold does create a "gate" to character progress for me. I've got 5 characters. Each of them have strong gem demands, as well as Archon craft demands. Now, none of those things are particularly expensive, by themselves. But Patch 1.0.7 introduced increased gem recipe drop rates along with the Archon crafts, and I spent the 5 million or so gold I had managed to amass before 1.0.7 hit on crafting higher-level gems or Archon recipe rolls.

The cost to craft ONE star gem is 80k (to make the star) + 50k*3 (3 radiant squares) + 30k*9 (9 perfect squares), which is 500k. That's 1/10th of the gold I collected while getting all 5 characters through Inferno on MP1/MP2. And now that I'm getting flawless stars and perfect stars in my weapons, not to mention other gems elsewhere, that's a huge gold sink that makes gold just as much of a "gate" on upgrading my gems as the drop rates of the "good" gems (i.e., emeralds) themselves.

Right now, after a run, I manage to just about break even in terms of gold collected -- this is on MP2-MP4ish, with vendoring every single blue/yellow that drops, crafting one Archon item per run, and crafting as many gems that character needs up the chain as my supply of flawless squares / gold allows. Which means that I probably amass around 300k gold per run.