Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Global WarmingGate

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by vdzele, Nov 24, 2009. | Replies: 256 | Views: 12583

1. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

Global WarmingGate

Great lose for the Mighty Usury Lords, their servers were hijacked. Let the people know.

Among the thousands of emails and documents hacked or leaked from the Climate Research Unit at East Anglia University last week are several references to an agenda to shut down scientific debate on global warming by stifling counter-evidence from other scientists.

Dating back to 1996, the emails show that both U.S. and U.K. based scientists referred to any research offering alternate viewpoints as

Viscount Monckton on Climategate: ‘They Are Criminals’
  2. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Re: Global WarmingGate

That was all a hoax. The emails where dictated by the person claiming to have hacked in and accessed them.
  3. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

Yea? Even when the persons who wrote those letters admit it's original.

In response to the astounding revelations arising out of the hacked CRU emails, Senator Jim Inhofe has stated that unless something is done within the next seven days, he will lead the call for a rigorous investigation into mounting evidence that top climate scientists conspired to manipulate data to hide evidence of global cooling while engaging in academic witch hunts to eliminate scientists skeptical of man-made climate change.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

So the Usury Lords have prevented a counter-conspiracy from evil scientists? Who are the good guys then? Or is it just evil turning against itself?

Sounds similar to the plot in King Kong versus Godzilla.
  5. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

Ill be more than happy to discuss with you Kris, is Terminator T-1000 stronger than RoboCop.

I think T-1000 is much stronger, has much superior features.
  6. krischan

I agree on that, so a discussion would be pointless.

BTW, I finally found out who that guy in your avatar is. I doubt that I'm the first, but who was quicker than me?
  7. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

Yes, he is the almighty, standard, stamp, die, archetype, benchmark, idol, icon....matrix.
  8. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Well, the bad guys/Usury Lords are "the Man", of course. Only problem with most people's world view is that they're ignorant enough to believe "the Man" is somehow conservative, rather than the dominant Progressive culture. Extrapolating that 'Matrix' bit, liberal theology is the world that has been pulled over 'your' eyes...

Am I sounding a bit like VD? I wonder why? :whistling:
    I was, but for some reason I had forgotten and believed it was Vanzetti. Of course, that kind of works as well...

9. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

I always assumed it was Gavrilo Princip... is it?

I found this to be an interesting read. Sadly, many people will still be quoting this crap as fact years from now.
  10. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Equivocation and denial interesting? Perhaps. What 'crap' are you referring to; the messages which obviously show that these individuals hijacked the peer review process to one degree or another?

And what's happened to Publius, anyway? Is he one of the correspondents?

11. TheOgreMan

TheOgreMan IncGamers Member

Which individuals are you referring to? So far there is no evidence that points to anyone in climatology "hijacking" the peer review process.

12. krischan

At first I thought he was the guy who stole the Mona Lisa.

13. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

You should re-read some of the discussion of these memos in a little more detail, then; it's precisely the charge being leveled (and to date there's been nothing but confirmation of their veracity). And I use the term 'charge' mindful of the fact that there are demands for criminal investigations being made.

14. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

When I read those emails initially, I figured it either had to be a hoax or the GW crowd had some serious 'splainin to do. Thanks for the link, I found it quite valuable.

Thinking back on some of the work emails I've sent recently, I can see how someone picking and choosing snippets to post online could make me appear to be just about anything they wanted to portray. And if you really look at the pieces quoted, it's obvious that without context, the only meaning they have is the meaning the reviewer brings with them to the reading.

The only one I see as truly interesting is the one where he requests the deletion of certain emails. Not a smoking gun in and of itself, but questionable enough that I'd like to know specifically what was discussed in those emails.

15. KillerAim

KillerAim IncGamers Member

The information obtained is more than just E-Mails, it was also programming source code. The memo fields explaining the purpose of the next or previous sub-routine are pretty damning. It could still be a hoax but, if it is, it's a very sophisticated one.

In addition, evidence is coming out that the information may not have been hacked; instead, it was put on a public access server. Whether it was done by accident or by design is not yet clear. All of the E-Mails, documentation, etc. were supposedly found in one place which has led many to believe that this information was compiled as a result of a Freedom of Information request.

It's too soon for me to decide on its authenticity.
  16. SaroDarksbane

Can you link me to a good analysis of those code comments? I'd like to look them over.
    From what I've seen, no one involved is crying hoax, so they are likely legit.

17. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

I was long ago.

18. KillerAim

SaroDarksbane:
    I can't find the original article I read, but here's one that covers pretty much the same issue.
  19. SaroDarksbane

Ah, darn. I had seen that one and was hoping there was more out there because that one is explained, apparently, by the fact that tree rings cannot be used as an accurate record of temperature past 1960 (which is why the code specifies that other temperatures should be used past that point).

I would assume that temperature readings for years past are sporadic and come from many different sources, each with different measurements and/or methodologies, and they are trying to fit these disparate series of data into a single chart or model, which would, of course, have quite a few limitations such as the one this comment attempts to explain.

Doesn't seem to be anything malicious about it yet. Perhaps there are more examples out there yet to surface . . .

EDIT:

Really, the only thing that's crystal clear to me from this "leak" thus far, is that the team in question was very antagonistic towards people who wanted their data. It may be understandable, given how much flak they probably got from the other side of the debate, but it's unfortunate all the same.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  20. KillerAim

SaroDarksbane:
    But that's the fact that the initial article emphasized. Until around the 1960's and later, the collection of temperature from recording devices was haphazard at best. Recordings were initially taken just once a day, then when there were multiple readings, they were not taken at consistent times. As soon as there were more accurate readings, the correlation between the size of tree rings and temperature became suspect. Wouldn't the logical conclusion be that any temperature estimate that is based on the size of tree rings should be rejected? And isn't almost the entire historical evidence for global warming based exactly on such data?