Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Glide wrapper

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by omgmir, Mar 20, 2007. | Replies: 132 | Views: 75769

1. omgmir

omgmir IncGamers Member

Glide wrapper

Is there anyone using a glide wrapper in 1.11b? If so please post and let me know which one your using.. I remember using one back in 1.10 and it worked flawless but I can't remember which one it was.

The only two I can find now are these:

*links removed by Gorny*

No matter how much I tweak the config the first one has missing pixels everywhere.. here's a screenshot. All those little white dots are missing pixels, it's like that everywhere.

The second one performs flawlessly.. until it crashes randomly. Sometimes it will last 4 hours sometimes 2 minutes. :undecided:

Anyone out there successfully using a wrapper in 1.11b?
  2. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Hiya omgmir,

Unfortunately, I cannot allow a link to that glide wrapper on the public forums, much as I would like to. Such a link would need to be approved by our webmaster; also we have some concern that Blizzard's Warden might detect and tag this plug-in as malicious. We'll see what might be done though.

If you have questions or concerns, feel free to reply. Thanks. :smiley:

I will however, leave the thread open for any discussion on the subject.

3. jakotaco

jakotaco IncGamers Member

So... what is a glide wrapper?

4. omgmir

omgmir IncGamers Member

Ah, ok no problem. :azn: I understand about you not wanting the links to be here, but rest assured it's not a plugin or a change to the game itself in any way. Doesn't even affect D2 itself directly in fact, they just affect how your PC renders graphics.

Small programs which convert the calls of one graphics API into another. This means you can run UltraHLE (a glide-only emulator) or a Glide video plugin without having a glide graphics card (e.g. 3dfx Voodoo2), but using a Direct3D or OpenGL card (e.g. nVidia GeForce) instead. (You still need hardware 3D acceleration of some sort if you want playable speeds!)

Yes I copy and pasted that because i'm nowhere near tech savy enough to understand how it works. :shocked:

Basically it's a program that lets you run D2 in Glide mode instead of Direct3D or DirectDraw.. since Direct3D is basically crap, especially in D2. With a good wrapper the game looks better, and runs 10 times smoother. Unfortunately since I just returned.. i'm having problems getting one to work as easilly as I did before back in 1.10, hence this post.

I have a GeForce 6800 Ultra, and using Direct3D will cause lag issues when a lot of things are going on on-screen. With Glide this doesn't happen.

5. Pied

Pied IncGamers Member

I did a post about this few days ago. But i also posted a link to the site of a wrapper so it got deleted.

However, i'm using this wrapper, and i didnt have any problems so far, its working great :smiley: .

I emailed blizzard about this subjesct if it violates any rules in the EULA. But i didnt got any response as of now.
  6. omgmir

omgmir IncGamers Member

It doesn't. Wrappers don't interact with D2 itself in any way shape or form. It's basically a program that emulates you sticking a VooDoo card in your pc.

Will you PM me the link to the one you're using and any settings you changed from default? I'd much appreciate it.

7. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

Indeed, all that happens with glide wrappers is the user sticking a glide.dll file into the appropriate place (usually %systemroot%\windows\system32 or the GameDir in some cases). It does NOT hook into the game code. At. All. The game .exe happily and obliviously passes graphics calls to the glide.dll wrapper after you tell it to do so via d2vidtest.exe. It sees the glide.dll, it passes Glide rendering calls to it, they're moved on down the pipe, and all is right with the world.

In fact, if Blizz or their wonderful Warden were flagging people using Glide wrappers for the game, it would more or less demonstrate that they are scanning people's local drives and begging for a monumental class action lawsuit.

I understand your concerns Gorny, but this is a perfectly legitimate third party modification to one's graphics subsystem - not the game.
  8. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Hi Painman,

It is in everyone's best interests that we investigate first - it would be irresponsible for us to do otherwise. The wrapper Pied would like to present here is a fantastic one - especially for players with slower computers - and we would love to provide a link in our stickies. First though, we have to cover all our bases. :smiley:

9. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

Fair enough, Dredd. :) Now just post us some pics of you and Gorny donning detective's hats and magnifying glasses, and we'll be set. :thumbsup:

10. nubikoen

nubikoen IncGamers Member

I've been using a wrapper on and off for a couple of years, I'll see if I can find the one I'm using when I get home from work (~7 hours from now) and PM you a link/post it here if the issue has been resolved.
  11. nubikoen

nubikoen IncGamers Member

I couldn't find a trace of any wrapper on any of the drives I have in my PC atm. Maybe I can find some time to install some of my old hard drives (not likely to happen untill after the weekend though) and see if there's anything left there.

Also, a quick google search for 'glide wrapper' turned up quite a lot more than 2 wrappers.
  12. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

what vidoe card/cards do you use
    the old 3dfx cards (voodoo/2/3) came with glide wrapper drivers that work with d2 flawlessly

check your video card drivers and see if any are available
  13. BlackWinterDay

BlackWinterDay IncGamers Member

Mmmmmm I remember how awesome this game ran on my old old system with a Voodoo 3/2000. That must have been like 3 or 4 systems ago :) I finally have Direct 3d working somewhat well with a 7600gs, but will be watching this thread closely...
  14. jimba

jimba IncGamers Member

Any update guys?
    Been keeping an eager eye on this thread and doubt (or maybe hope!) I'm not the only one
    Thanks!

15. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

I have used a Glide Wrapper in the past, the one I used was giving me some problems but I could definitely see improvement in the quality of the image. It's not only good for older computer, as mine is relatively new. As far as I could gather around, many people are of the opinion that the game seems to have been more properly coded in in Glide then in Directdraw. It would certainly make some sens since Glide was the "Thing'' when the game was under development. Back then 3DFX was an important player in the graphic card industry and they were relying on this technology.
  16. Dredd

Hi,

Not yet. I've been waiting to see if Pied gets a reply from Blizzard before moving forward with this.

17. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

Still no reply on this one?

Still keeping an eye on this thread ... :azn:
  18. harconst

harconst IncGamers Member

Using glide was supposed to provide better textures and performance.
    However , using a wrapper for some time i didn't notice any significant improvement in performance or quality of textures :( .
    Seems it would get the job done on lower end machines though?
  19. Dredd

I'll bring it up with the staff this afternoon. :smiley:
  20. SPApropos

SPApropos IncGamers Member

interesting thread.. i use d2 on a "higher" end system as well as one with win xp and 256 ram (stupid combo imho)

i will also be looking forward to how this thread progresses