Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Getting beefier

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by lapaz, Nov 12, 2013. | Replies: 10 | Views: 890

1. lapaz

lapaz IncGamers Member

Sup

Just got back to SP after a 2 years break, (had a pretty strong lvl 89 wind druid running ATs).

So, my new character is a Buriza / Layer of hands Strafezon running the pits and I'm doing well, except I can't manage to go further into hell.

My question refers to getting my Zon to the next level. I'm actually trying to max Valk as no other skill seems worth it, but it's not quite doing the job.

Would a Obedience CA / Stone hellforge plate Merc be a good plan or is it a waste of runes? Should I rather focus on getting items for myself or for my merc?

Any other tips?

For the lols I found Azurewrath, Fleshripper and Templar's Might in about 50 pits runs hahahaha

Thx!
  2. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

Super disappointed this wasn't another OT workout log :(
  3. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Obedience is definitely not a waste of runes - it's one of the best runeword "deals" in the game, IMHO. You just have to make sure to get some life leech from helm or armor - Tal's Mask, Crown of Thieves, and Vampire Gaze are all good options. A simple Smoke is a very handy amor runeword, but Treachery is a standard.

Gratz on the nice finds so far.
  4. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

Same, lol.

If you're making Stone or some other RW armour with a huge def bonus, make sure to eth-bug the base item.
    Obedience is a very cool runeword. But I'd trade it any day for a Reaper's Toll - it both increases merc's safety and improves your performance.

How come? What do you expect form your valk? what is her level?
  5. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

Strafe (or multi) itself requires little points as it has no synergies. Other points you might wanna spend are penetrate (AR) and pierce (only enough to get a good pierce % with other gear, so no 20 pts required).

After that you have a few options as far as skills goes. Either become a hybrid (FA and LF are popular choices), or pump valk. In case of valkyrie expectations: Don't expect her to kill fast. Even with lots of points spend. She IS however very durable and can tank just about anything. In HC i had a char where the valk took out the ancients almost singlehandedly (depending on good/bad spawn of ancients she can require some recasting).

Concerning gear i'd vote against obedience. It's a good merc weapon in itself, but the decrep from reapers is much more useful for you. Both in terms of crowd control and keeping merc alive as in killing speed.

Other mentionables: Razortail for yourself. More pierce = more damage. Treachery might be worth it. Speeds up you shooting those arrows. Downside may be that resists are low until fade triggers. It's also an option for the merc, for faster delivering decrep. Fade should also trigger more often for him and he's got some natural resists which helps before it triggers. And personally i'd ditch the xbow for a bow. Buriza does nice damage, but i can't stand how slow it is.
  6. jimsfriend

jimsfriend IncGamers Member

I was kind of hoping it had something to do with wearing cow kings set..
  7. lapaz

lapaz IncGamers Member

Well thanks alot for the answers guys, I had no idea Treachery was a viable merc option, so should I ebug a 3os armor and make it for both me and my merc?

I'm pretty freaking poor atm hahaha

@ Cyrax : I maxed out both strafe and multi, making it a pure physical zon using Buriza, but I realised my main issue (in act 2 mostly) relates to phys. immunes. (AT runs are difficult). Also, I think my buriza already gives me 100% peirce?

Should i rather go :

20 strafe
    20 FA
    20 FA Synergy
    17 Valk (with + skills)
    Rest in penetrate/Guided Arrow

Is this a viable setup? Thanks alot once again
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  8. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

Thought it was only 66% that's why i mentioned it. But after looking it up, arreat summit agrees with you. So as long as you keep the buriza there's no need for either razortail or hard points in pierce.

Maxing both strafe and multi is something most people (me included) wouldn't do. Pick one or the other. Both have their benefits and it comes down to personal taste mostly (mine is multi). And in case you pick multi, even then you may not want to max it. It adds a lot of mana consumption and usually there's not enough monsters nearby to justify the extra arrows (10 to 15 hard points should be enough).

The set-up you put up in the post above is perfectly viable. I have one that's pretty much the same, except that it has multi instead of strafe.

You may want to consider something like wizendraw for FA. Most damage doesn't come from bow anyway when using FA so the low damage isn't an issue, and the -(20-35)% enemy cold resist helps a lot. Downside with that would be you'd need pierce for getting the most out of it. There are better options, but then you're talking about expensive equipment.
  9. lapaz

lapaz IncGamers Member

FA's working wonders atm, (I can do 3 minute-ish AT runs) but why do you consider Multi to be better than Strafe?
  10. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

There's been huge debats about which is better. In the end both have their benefits and it's a matter of personal preference. Strafe for example is better for a single or a couple of enemies. An example of multi being better is that you don't have to deal with strafelock.

Personally i went with multi to complement FA over strafe because strafes main advantage is that it's faster against single targets whereas multi is better when there's an abundance of monsters on screen. And for the single target attacks you already have FA. Unless CI ofcourse, but then you can still use guided arrow.
  11. lapaz

lapaz IncGamers Member

Well thanks to your hybrid input, i'm now in act 5 hell. Got a gul from the forge so I guess that works.

Thanks buddy!