Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Gamestop sales

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Toetag, Apr 25, 2012. | Replies: 51 | Views: 3008

1. Toetag

Toetag IncGamers Member

Gamestop sales

I was at gamestop yesterday pre-ordering my players guide and I asked when they would be opening their doors on the 14th, how many people they were expecting, etc. They told me that they only have 61 preordered D3's, with 18 of them being CE's (1 is mine!!! I preordered it over a year ago). They said that the store stopped taking preorders for the CE the minute they announced a release date. Why would they do this? I also asked why the numbers were so low as I was expecting to be standing in line with hundreds of other people and they said that it was probably digital downloaded copies and the 1 year sub for WoW that were to blame. Has anyone else heard about this? I can't believe how few have been pre-ordered. I was planning on going to the store around 9pm to get my spot in line, but now it doesn't look like i'll need to go early at all.
  2. iAmAhab

iAmAhab IncGamers Member

Re: Gamestop sales

Probably because pre-ordering a highly available game is just ridiculous.
  3. Sex

Sex IncGamers Member

I preordered my copy via Amazon, I got the regular copy, of course. I chose not to preorder via gamestop simply because I plan to take the 16th off, not the 15th. And I went against the Digital Copy because I wanted my very own physical copy.
  4. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

Unless you are getting the collector's edition, there is little rational reason to get a box version.
  5. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Yeah well there are a lot of people (like me) who like getting a physical product when you pay for something. So it feels like you're actually getting something when you purchase it.

6. Shaelen

Shaelen IncGamers Member

I preordered my CE so long ago too! The receipt has actually faded away, and I'm going to have to double check that the store can still look up my order lol. I haven't asked yet about preorders, but I'm sure the digital sales are going to be a big factor.

7. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

I'm aware of that, which is why I used the "rational" qualifier. There are plenty of emotional reasons to still get a box.

8. beingmused

beingmused IncGamers Member

If we didn't drive to stores and buy physical boxes to carry our digital products home in, how are we going to get that satisfaction from knowing that your purchase did its part to ruin the environment?
  9. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Wanting a box is a perfectly rational thought. I fear you may need a dictionary :loving:

10. Forgotten One

Forgotten One IncGamers Member

I was able to pre-order Diablo3 from a different retailer for 49.99.
    I'd have to guess that the digital downloads and alternate retailers with lower pricing has had an effect on Gamestop's numbers.

Also, I too like a physical copy so I have accessibility when it's convenient for me.
    That's probably a moot point since I can't play the game when I decide & at my personal leisure.
    That choice is now up to Blizzard, their servers and my ISP. It's a game we all will never truly own.
  11. JackalYYC

JackalYYC IncGamers Member

If the beta client and launcher issues have told me anything, it's that those of us with physical copies will probably run into far less problems than those who have to download it.
  12. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Yeah but unless you're changing computers every 6 months, that's only a one time thing.

13. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

You'll have to deal with the launcher anyway once there is a patch, and there may even be a day-0 patch.
  14. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

You can also just copy the game over when you change computers. That's how it works with WoW and SC2 at least. You don't actually have to re-install nor re-patch them.

I might have actually preferred to actually get something for my money, but in reality the box serves absolutely zero purpose once you enter the key into your b.net account (even if your computer is wiped, re-downloading will probably not be that much slower than re-installing and re-patching). That said, I bought a boxed copy from amazon.co.uk simply because that was the cheapest option available for me.
  15. Crono

Crono IncGamers Member

I only got the boxed cause I got a d3 tshirt with it, for the same price as the digital version, however will have to wait 2 weeks more, however that's a good thing cause I have a lot of work to do :)
  16. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Oh my... I would never wait 2 weeks for a t-shirt and a box! I'm willing to wait for a couple days to save ~15-20$ (compared to my 2nd cheapest alternative that was available on release night, after counting gas and parking costs), but to be honest was almost tempted to pay extra to get to play it faster. Hopefully amazon.co.uk ships quickly enough to a London address (where my uncle lives and can e-mail me the cd-key once he gets the copy). If they take 7 days I won't be very happy :(
  17. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

when i last was at my game stop they told me they might not even do a midnight launch cause of low preorders then they told me since max payne was the same day the 2 combined would give them enough to justify it. at that point they said they had 28 pre orders and needed 50. there are 3 reasons why i think the pre orders are low

1. the annual pass giving "free" D3
    2. the ease of pre downloading through bliz
    3. the lack of any pre-order bonus

these 3 things are why i feel in store preorders are way down. i am sure bliz loves this btw
  18. JohnnyC

JohnnyC IncGamers Member

All this, plus, IMO (I guess talking for myself...) Gamestop seems like the last place I'd by a computer game for some reason. I'd rather go to Best Buy / Future Shop (where I pre-ordered the CE!)

Odd considering that before I decided to boycott that place, most of my console purchases were there yet none of my PC's were...

19. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

in this age of amazon delivering directly to your door or downloading directly from Blizzard
    why would people go stand in line at 9pm and wait for 3 hours to pick up a game at midnight ?

sure, you'll always have a couple of D3 super fans, but "hundreds of other people" ?

soon gamestop will have the same fate as tower records

20. droppin

droppin IncGamers Member

I'm thinking Gamestop sales went down because of that whole, "we took free copies of games out of sealed packaging and repackaged it like nothing ahppened". That and Gamestop pc games are WAY overpriced, is why I don't go to Gamestop for my games.