Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Frenzy Advice, and which barb build is your fav?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by PhilMeyer, Nov 18, 2011. | Replies: 13 | Views: 5008

1. PhilMeyer

PhilMeyer IncGamers Member

Frenzy Advice, and which barb build is your fav?

Howdie Barbs!

So I'd never had a high level Barbarian, and had most of the IK set, so I leveled a Barbarian and gave him the set.

I really love the idea of using IK set, but it turns out I don't care much for Whirlwind. :(

However, I have some other Barb gear and I realize I'm just a few pieces away from a pretty nice overall Barb set. So I wanted to ask: What is your favorite Barb build that isn't Whirlwind based?

The rest of this post assumes that I'm going to go with Frenzy, because that sounds fun. However, if there are other powerful builds out there you think I might enjoy, feel free to suggest them. I like the speed of attack that Zeal gives, and Frenzy feels similar to me.

The items I don't have in my theoretical Barb set are the items that typically get filled with high level runewords (both weapons and the armor). I've got enough trade bait that I can probably get these items, but I wanted to make sure of which ones to get.

Firstly, I prefer axes over swords, so I'm thinking runewords that work well in Berzerker Axes. This doesn't seem like a problem.

There are a TON of guides out there, and most of them seem to suggest an Ethereal Breath of the Dying for my mainhand. So I guess I'll go with that. The other option seems to be Grief. However the guides say its better in a Phase Blade, but since I want axes that's out.

The offhand weapon is where there's great diversity of suggestions. I'd love to be someone that has all of these runeword weapons to try out, but I'm afraid I only can afford to pick one and stick with it at this time.

The main options for axes seem to be:
    1) ethDeath (Crushing Blow, AR)
    2) Doom (Holy Freeze)
    3) Beast (Fanatasism, Crushing Blow)

Right now I am leaning towards ethDeath because I like the idea of both items being matching Ethereal and not having to ever repair them. Its a something of a silly thing to base the choice on, but if all else is equal thats enough for me.

I'm also looking to get a Fortitude Armor. Since I'm off-ladder I had considered just using a Chains of Honor (cheaper to trade for) but if Fortitude is so much better I may as well get something I'm not going to regret later. The main difference between the two seems to be the huge resists that COH gives, but with 1 point in Natural Resistances I'm pretty much up to 75% resist all with Fortitude. Still, there are some other bonuses to COH like skills, damage resist, and life leach. If they are pretty comparable, I could be convinced to just go with that.

The rest of my gear is:

Head: Arreat's Face
    Gloves: Dracul's Grasp
    Belt: Verdungo's Hearty Cord
    Boots: Gore Rider
    Ring1: Bul Kathos' Wedding Band
    Ring2: Ravenfrost
    Amulet: Highlord's Wrath
    Charms: Torch, Anni, and a couple 5% resist alls.

Let me know what your thoughts are, and any other advice in general.

Thanks!
  2. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Re: Frenzy Advice, and which barb build is your fav?

Well the first thing is, have you actually tried out frenzy?
    Frenzy is a very weird skill. It is slow to charge up in the beginning and then gives insane movespeed, making your char hard to control.
    I tried frenzy for a while, it was too hard so I respeced to whirlwind. I guess one really needs to get a hang of this skill.
  3. PhilMeyer

Yeah that's my big fear, that I get the gear for Frenzy and then don't like that either. Of course then I have a high level mule if I don't like any Barb builds.

Guess before I trade for these items I'll give Frenzy a try in nightmare difficulty or early hell with some vendor axes. Then I am at least a little bit committed, but I guess Tokens trade fairly cheaply.
  4. nEgativezEro

nEgativezEro IncGamers Member

In the early days I went with WW a lot, but as I explored other options in the game, my Frenzy barb became my all time favorite character. WW is nice, but the mechanics and limitations drew me to Frenzy. Both skills are effective, but I love with attack speed and double swinging with Frenzy. Occasionally the run/walk speed causes a little craziness because you move so fast, but it's nothing you can't get your way out of.

Your current gear is pretty much identical to what my barb had at the end of last ladder (or two ladders ago now maybe, he's an old fella). I use Chains of Honor for the armor. the 300% ED is nice on Fort, but I think the rest of the stats on COH are better for a Barb overall, and I never had any issues with killing power.

Now I was a sword barb, so we have a little difference there, but I think your weapon choices are good overall, even in axes.

I made an eDeath Colossus Sword as my original mainhand weapon. As you say, the CB/DS on it is great, plus huge ED, amplified by the eth mod as well is very nice. Given the number of attacks per second you'll have with Frenzy, the CB and DS kick in a lot. Glacial Spike for freeze effect and mana leech are nice little bonuses as well. It was a great sword as a mainhand, and I still love it as my offhand. I switched to Grief once I was able to afford it, and I think personally that is my favorite combo for Frenzy.

It's best in the PB because they're indestructible by default, but it would still work really well in a Zerker, it would just be expensive to repair. Since your other options aren't indestructible either (doom, beast), I'd suggest going with a Grief Zerker as your main hand. The massive damage a Grief has, coupled with the attack speed of Frenzy makes for an amazing combo. When you consider a Grief weapon has a minimum damage of about 400, and you're hitting as often as you do, I'm sure you can do the math.

Skillwise it's pretty simple. I stopped at level 88. For Combats, I just maxed Double Swing and Frenzy, and put one point in Berserk for Phys Immunes (and though it's negligible, it does add some Magic damage to Frenzy). Masteries tree is obvious, max your Axes and do the one point wonders. Cries have BO maxed and prereqs in the rest. I would've (and started) pumping the remaining points into Taunt as it adds damage to Frenzy as well.

The three main attack skills I like to use are Frenzy as the main left mouse attack, and War Cry as the right hand attack. Since you don't have the mobility of WW to escape a big crowd, War Cry is important as the stun ability can give you that extra time to leech back life or escape if you're in danger. You only *need* one point, but the more you can add increases the stun length, which can help. And of course I keep berserk available for any Phys Immunes I run across, and it gets the job done (especially with Grief).

As I said, my Frenzy Barb is still my all time favorite, and I'm hoping I can recreate him to an extent in D3. It's a blast to play and the damage output is incredible.

I think you'd definitely enjoy it, and with that gear setup, you'll do just fine. With Grief and Death, you can break 100% on Deadly Strike, and hit 65% on Crushing Blow.
  5. Spankeh

Spankeh IncGamers Member

A number of things:

You cant really use eDeathZ/eDeathCS/CB on your main hand as it has no IAS.
    You cant really use Frenzy on left mouse button because you cant auto target.
    Warcry is a disruption on the Frenzy - Life Leech combination that makes Frenzy so powerful.
    If you need Warcry to "give you a moment from being battered" your weapons are just not powerful enough.
    Using GriefZ and eDeathZ will work great, but now a new problem presents itself.
    You wont be hitting the final 5fpa breakpoint.

To do this, at level 27 Frenzy, with the two above weapons, you'll need additional IAS items:

Highlord's Wrath Amulet +20%IAS
    Laying of Hands Bramble Mitts Gloves +20%IAS
    Nosferatu's Coil Vampirefang Belt +10%IAS
    Arreat's Face Slayer Guard with an IAS Jewel +15%IAS

Total IAS = 65%

And that's with a perfect 40%IAS roll on GriefZ

As you can see, it requires a substantial boost in IAS.
    But if you use swords, and use Grief Phase Blade, with eDeathColossus Blade, you get to the max 5fpa breakpoint by using the following, at level 27 Frenzy:

Highlord's Wrath Amulet +20%IAS
    Arreat's Face Slayer Guard with IAS Jewel +15%IAS

Total IAS = 35%

This is because a Phase Blade is so much faster than a Berserker Axe, and, as a bonus, its Indestructible.
    A Colossus Blade is slightly slower than a Berserker axe but combined with a Phase Blade, the average base weapon speed of both weapons are much faster, hence less off weapon IAS, like belts and gloves etc..

Either way, those items i mentioned that have IAS, are very good items for a frenzy barb.
    Laying Of Hands is now THE #1 glove for Frenzy because of the IAS boost, massive damage to demons, and huge fire resist.
    Nosferatu's Coil has become a definite contender for best Frenzy belt because of Life Steal, Strength Boost and IAS Boost.
    String Of Ears belt is probably the #1 belt for a Frenzier, with Thundergod's Vigor and Verdungo's Hearty Cord up there as well.

So, if you happy going your axe route, and using GriefZ on main hand, and eDeathz on off hand, you'll need all four IAS boost items to get to 5fpa final breakpoint.
    And what a combo this will be: major damage with major swing speed.

And for even more damage, add dual eLacerator Winged Axe's on weapon switch for the Amp Damage curse, and watch everything die die die.
    But that's a bit technical for now, and we'll leave that for another day.

For what its worth, I only play Frenzy Barbs on Diablo 2: LoD now.
    And I permanently look at constantly increasing his damage output with testing and retesting top frenzy items.
    The best/most fun sub character in the game.

:thumbup:​
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  6. Jametown

Jametown IncGamers Member

I hear this, I had never played a barb before 2 weeks ago, and I basically thought they were bad. I was terribly wrong, and frenzy is the reason.

As far as the ramp up speed of the attacks, and movement being hard to control goes, I currently am using a griefpb and an azurewrath, and imo the ramp up is virtually non existent. Having said that, this is with phaseblades, so basically take the time to test with fast powerful weapons before you dismiss the build, because the weapons really make or break it.

About frenzy being hard to control, I don't find that at all, in fact I am totally addicted to the insanely fast run speed. I just can't get enough. If you know how to blind teleport you should find the high runspeed no problem.

Best of luck with your upcoming build!

7. nEgativezEro

nEgativezEro IncGamers Member

Using Death as my mainhand was back in the early times of my build, when I was poor. At the time it was a huge improvement over what I had.

I never had issues with LMB frenzying. Between manual targeting and shift clicks to stand in place, I did pretty well. However I just experimented with Frenzy on the RMB instead and I did like the auto-targeting. I hadn't considered that before.

Warcry, like Death as my mainhand, was more of a relic of the early days before I had solid equipment. I do admit I rarely ever use it these days. I do like having the ability to to stun the mobs surrounding me though, but I also agree with you that it's not a necessary skill.

8. PhilMeyer

Just want to thank nEgativezEro and Spankeh for your advice. I haven't pulled the trigger on respeccing my barb yet, but am definitely considering your suggestions :).
  9. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

If you want 100% optimized pvm performance then this is good to aim for
  10. someguyoverthere

someguyoverthere IncGamers Member

Well i have never really played a frenzy so i cant vouch for them.

My favourite barb has and always been Hal's Conc barb

Wep - ebotdcb 388 fyi
    Hat - Arreats, needs a 40/15 but not really required
    Armour - Fort Balrog Skin
    Shield - Stormshield, w/pdiamond
    Belt - nos coil
    Golves - LoH (Next time i rebuild it, he will be using lava gouts)
    Shoes - Gores

The thing i love about him is he is the best tank i have used
  11. Cryton

Cryton IncGamers Member

I am pretty much a noob when it comes to barb but i want to build one and used frenzy to level i normal and nightmare. And it was super super fun!:p Not by any means trying to highjack this thread but a quick question:

Could cresent moon/lawbringer work out as a weapon combo for hell ?

With the usual areat, guillliums, gores, LoH etc.
  12. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

yeah it works, but not terribly effective due to low base damage of weapons
  13. stevemercury

stevemercury IncGamers Member

using dual grief and arreats instead of guillaumes is the 15% from gores enough crushing blow
  14. langevi

langevi IncGamers Member

PvP or PvM? What is enough? More is of course better but PvM can success with 0% too.