Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Freeze, demon****er - Ice Wizard

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by ShadoutMapes, Apr 27, 2012. | Replies: 7 | Views: 1211

1. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Freeze, demon****er - Ice Wizard

I hadn't planned to do any Diablo 3 builds before release, wanting to build as I played. However the wait is just too brutal and I cant resist it no more!

So I started looking on the Wizard, which is likely the first char I'll play. Early on it will be in a group, but it will have to be able to hold its own as well. Tried out different concepts, a Fire build (not enough fire skills!), Aarcane build (didn't feel right, though I want to try out Archon) etc. Right now I have, as the title might indicate, centered on an Cold theme.

Not so easy to pre-plan builds when we don't know half about how the skills and runes work, but I gave it a try anyway, and now I'm looking for some criticism on how much it sucks, so I can get back to the drawing board.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZkYlfg!YWX!bYcZaZ
    Nothing too complex here.

Ray of Frost as my wanna-be signature skill. Cold dmg and stuff. And bonus for slowing enemies so they stay in my damn AOE.

Meteor/Comet as my "DIE DIE DIE" skill. Obviously runed to cold dmg.

Frost Nova as my "Stay awhile and listen" skill. Not sure about the rune here, as many of them seem useful. Chose the extra dmg here, I assume it debuffs the enemies so they take 15% more dmg from party members too? Shatter could be really useful too however.

Blizzard as my.. I don't really know, it is Cold damage and I wanted to have it. Not sure about the rune, as I don't know how the "Chance to freeze" really works. Is it 20% chance from each blizzard dmg an enemy (=pretty high chance overall) or 20% total chance for a mob which stays in the Blizzard for the whole duration (=pretty low chance). If the chance for Freeze is low, another rune might obviously be better.
    Also Meteor + Blizzard = Pretty damn expensive in terms of Arcane power. The Lower AP cost rune might be useful for that.

Ice armor. It fits the theme, BUT, going into melee danger zone just to chill enemies for a very short time, sounds like it could hurt and not really be worth all the extra movement at all. Also, unknown how long enemies are chilled by the Chilled Aura (and what its radius is?).
    There is something to be said for running into enemies, casually chilling them while Blizzard and Comet is raining down on their collective faces.
    Energy armor might still feel like the better choice overall, cold theme or not.

Slow time. Two words: Group utility. Adds dmg to the targets for the whole group (again assuming enemies gets debuffed), slows enemy speed AND attack speed for added survivabilty and total bonus from the ranged attack slowdown as well. However... not totally sold on it yet, as there are surely other skills which could be useful instead.
    Such as taking Diamond skin, making it easier to survie running into melee to chill them, and slightly lower AP cost too (However the Prism rune isn't that good for this build because of the high cost per attack - meaning low % cost reduce)

Passives:
    Glass Cannon. Really bad synergy with the whole "tunning into melee to chill them". But you know, glass cannon... its the damn concept of wizards imo. Having a hard time not to take this.

Cold Blooded. Doh. The foundation of the build.

Astral Presence. Not sure here. Slightly more AP and regen, but still, don't know. Power Hungry could be an alternative, but I'm not convinced about the efficency of chain-eating Health Orbs in higher difficutlies, rather than saving them strategically for when they are needed.
    Maybe a totally different passive would be better here.
  2. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

Re: Freeze, demon****er - Ice Wizard

At least you should replace blizzard with frost hydra.
  3. capnlarge

capnlarge IncGamers Member

why would you want to freeze the demon hunter? :p
  4. qwer

qwer IncGamers Member

Not sure if you're aware that the Cold Blooded rune reduces casting cost of Ray of Frost to 12AP, not zero. That being said, you'll not have enough AP to cast Comet and Blizzard consistently without a combination of AP generators/good AP gear/passives.

And no teleport? It's essential for MF, and more than useful for leveling. It also seems difficult to utilize Slow Time and Frost Nova effectively without it.

I'm currently looking at something like this for MF. This build should be able to cast at least 3 Comets while channeling Ray of Frost nonstop before AP runs out. It also has sufficient defense and good mobility. If AP on crit gear proves to be easily accessible, I might swap Cold Blooded for Black Ice, or swap Storm Armor for Energy Armor with Pinpoint Barrier (5% crit).
  5. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Wasn't aware of that no. Not what my skill calculator says. Dammit :(
    Kinda ruins it. And explains why it looked so ridiculously overpowered.

I don't see why teleport would be essential. MF or not. Especially not in groups.

Thanks for your build idea. I surely got to change a lot around when Cold Blood works like that.

I don't see a reason not to.

6. TIMMMMMY

TIMMMMMY IncGamers Member

When I played the D3 in the open beta weekend and was getting used to the hotkey setup for skills it made me wonder: how do you target more than 2 skills? For example I want to cast a meteor to my left, a blizzard on the right all the while channeling ray of frost. With only the left/right mouse buttons as targetting abilities how does this work if meteor was in my '3' hotkey skill slot, how would I target it?
  7. capnlarge

capnlarge IncGamers Member

the meteor would be centered on your cursor.
  8. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

You move the mouse. This is where playing without mouse acceleration is helpful. You can't cast without interrupting the ray of frost channel tho.