Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Freds glass cannon bowazon guide v1.0

Discussion in 'Classic' started by fredsta54, Nov 13, 2005. | Replies: 51 | Views: 37283

1. fredsta54

fredsta54 IncGamers Member

Freds glass cannon bowazon guide v1.0

Hi. :)

Just another one of my mini guides, this time we'll be looking at the ladder bowazon.

This guide is intended for untwinked sccl players (it will die in hc), who like to kill fast, spend little funds on a character, and get enormous bang for their buck. Using this setup, you cant go wrong with your stats, which means no boring remake.

What is it?

Just a standard strafe zon... except a glass cannon with easy to find gear... that will kill faster than any setup of "godly" rares. It will however, die if used clumsily. If you play it smart, theirs no reason a bowazon should die ever. Bowazons are not about resists and life, their aim is to never to get hit and kill everything before it gets close to them.

Stats-
    95 base strength
    all to dex
    base vitality
    base energy

Pretty easy to follow, eh?

Skills-
    Max strafe- your attacking skill, more points = more dmg and # of arrows.

Max penetrate- More ar, which is nice. This skill has no diminishing returns, and on a glass cannon we want as high a chance to hit as possible.

16 to critical strike- the cut-off lvl, increased points add very diminishing returns, and lvl 17 offers no additional % over lvl 16.

16 to pierce- read critical strike description.

8+ to valk- lvl 8 is all you need. (at this lvl she is a great tank, and gets a lance so she can kill on her own) When you have nowhere else to put points, sink em in here.

6 to dodge- this gives you a 40% chance to dodge the rare melee attack, increase in points gives diminishing returns.

7 to avoid- 50% chance to avoid ranged attacks, this is the most important evasive skill the strafer has.. due to the fact that almost all of the attacks that hit you will be ranged, and you are locked in place while strafeing.

6 to evade- 40% chance at lvl 6, more points are diminishing returns. This is a great skill that will save your *** many times.

Ok, thats it for skills. You will have no + skills, so having these skills at these lvls base is important, unless you have + skills on your bow... which will just make it more expensive, and it will hardly benefit you at all. Besides, if you have a 150 dmg +2 bow and you base your skills around it, if you find a 160 bow at a higher lvl with no +skills, you will be screwed (bows dmg > all other mods on it)

The gear is pretty straightfoward, remember, this is a sc build, in hc we will want more life and resists... just in case

Gear-
    HIGHEST DMG GOTHIC BOW you can get- your weapon. This should be pretty cheap... considering you dont need one with ias. In fact, ias wont help you 1 bit. 151 gothic bow > 150 gothic bow with 20 ias (on this build)

Rattlecage- cool looks. Thats about it. Lol, just kidding. The crushing blow helps your damage a lot, even though it is only 1/8 of their life when ranged as opposed to 1/4 in melee. The monsters flee mod is also very helpful, making monsters run before they hit you... in a straight line only to be pummeled by arrows.

Goblin toe- 25% crushing blow. Screw rares, this is a glass cannon... we want kill as fast as possible for a strafer.

Deaths combo- Your life steal, cbf, the ias needed for the last strafe breakpoint, resists, a great combo and nothing else comes close.

Howltusk- The only source of knockback for a bowazon using deaths, knockback is essential, which already warrants its use, and the target flees stacks with rattlecage, just making it even sweeter.

Angelic ring and ammy- Huge ar bonus, this increases your chance to hit by over 40%.

Ring with mana steal- manald heal will work, eventually to be replaced by a rare with ar, mana leach, and + dex or resists... or whatever.

Well, thats it for gear.

Some things to say before questions get asked...

20 ias is needed for the last base speed 10 strafe, deaths covers this.

With -35% resists all and ~350 life... you will survive if you stay out of the way and behind your valk///decoy.. especially with knockback and target flees

Dont use this gear in hc! you need at least 120 vita and max fire//light resists for that... just in case

95 base strength is to use a gothic bow... if you have one with -reqs still go 95 base strength in case you find 1 with better dmg and no -reqs. Unless you have a 200ed +15-20 damage - reqs gothic... ;)

This gear is better than godly rares! Seriously, its 1/100th of the cost and 100X better in terms of killing speed. Bowazons never get hit anyway.

This is based on my personal experience, hours of testing diffirent setups, and getting my personal strafer to lvl 85 last season on sccl (only did cs runs after lvl 82)

It can solo hell Rof and hell Cs on players 1, and in big games it can hold its own with concentrate aura from your partied hammerdin.

I hope you liked this guide,

Fred
  2. fredsta54

Bump 10 chars
  3. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

whoh whoh what the hell

how do zon breakpoints work in classic? You say you only need 20% IAS for a 2 frame strafe with a +10 bow?
  4. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

I can't believe you did it again. Strike 3 is a 2 day ban. This thread will stay closed until your ban is up. E-mail me if you have a problem with it. See rule number 6

6. Thou Shalt Not Engage in Unnatural Bumping. We have a "bump up" feature, where the post with the most recent addition goes to the top of the forum listing. If your post is good, it'll be responded to. If it's responded to, it'll undergo the process we call Natural Bumping. Natural Bumping = good. Unnatural bumping = bad. Unnatural Bumping is where someone posts, "I'm adding this to put this thread back at the top." Do it, we slap your hand. Do it often, you pull back a bloody stump.
  5. fredsta54

Ahh. Its good to be back.

Dacar, sorry about the bump. I wasnt thinking. Ive learned my lesson.

Ahh, i ment 3 frame. And when i said the last strafe breakpoint, i ment the last reachable breakpoint... on classic... thats viable at least.

(120ias for 2 frame w/ 10 speed bow, uneachievable. 0 speed bows, like rune, require 86 ias for 2 frame, also unacheivable. -10 speed bows can reach 2 frame, but its not worth all that dmg loss just for an extra frame)

Fred
  6. SwampBox

SwampBox IncGamers Member

So with a gothic bow w/ no IAS, but using deaths (30% IAS), you reach max bow speed?

Even though you said not to, I was thinking of trying this on HCCL for fun...
    What items would you use for HC.. while still having base vit?

I was thinking of Biggens Bonnet, it has 30% ED
  7. imakeigloospat

imakeigloospat IncGamers Member

:D That's one big bump!
    Here's link to IAS calculator:
    http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english
  8. SwampBox

SwampBox IncGamers Member

I dont understand those type of things (tables).

I just want to know if I am using Strafe, have a gothic bow w/ no IAS, and using deaths, is that the fastest or fastest needed I could go?
  9. imakeigloospat

imakeigloospat IncGamers Member

Try PM fredsta ;)
  10. Avenger

Avenger Banned

This will result in a 3fpa strafe, also known as the fastest possible in classic.
  11. squiggle

squiggle IncGamers Member

So do you need a high damage bow for this build to be any good?
  12. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

I will have to remember this one, once I aquire a high damage bow again, I will attempt to make one of these zons.
    A Ballista probably won't do for this build, right ?
    Why is it that the base speed of a Ballista is the same as the base speed of a Goth bow, but the Ballista is very slow for a zon.

Amusing that a Chu-Ko-Nu has a base speed of -60 according to the arreat. Is that a typo ? If now, how can this be used to one's advantage in any way ?
  13. Avenger

Avenger Banned

Bows and Xbows have different breakpoints, as they are different weapon classes. Therefore, comparing their base speed's is absolutely pointless.

Chu's really do have -60 base speed, and it takes a whooping 8 IAS in order to get to a 3fpa strafe, where it seems to max out, and not go any farther. THis is because, I assume, of the different breakpoints of crossbows.

Ballistas can get a 3fpa strafe with only 50 IAS, well, 60 is like the max you can get in classic, but it can be done, and done easily. So yeah, ballistas can work just as well as a Gothic Bow, and probably cheaper, if possible, to obtain.
  14. WarlockCC

Muchos Gracias. That is good to know. I thought base speed might have been remotely related. Answers quite a few questions to know that it isn't.

I used to have a descent Chu-ko-nu, can't remember where I put it though.

So with the partial deaths and Twitch, I should be able to use the ballista's I have, which are descent. Unlike my Goths, which I can't seem to find good(150 or so damage) ones of.

Even the ballista's I have are only 135 I think, but that still beats the 105 and 108 Goths I have.
  15. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

with 50ias youll reach 4 fpa strafe with a ballista which is worse than a 3 fpa strafe with your gothix bows.
  16. LizAngel

LizAngel IncGamers Member

Interesting guide! But I have one question, is it correct when I state that players in hell cs are not very fond of fleeing monsters and knockback? Hammerdins for exemple, this means that you can make yourself not very popular. I need to say that I have never played a hammerdin so I don't know if it is annoying, maybe it's not because you can open the seal even faster and faster big D comes. Some comments?
  17. WarlockCC

Perhaps low mana hammerdis might prefer to kill more monsters so they can redempt more of them. But the higher level ones definately don't mind, as in most higher level parties, BO barbs will also use their howl to get non unique monsters and minions to bugger off while only the bosses are killed.
  18. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

yep. leapstun and/or howl is what I use to help lower dins with low resist take on the hoards in cs runs.
  19. Rawly

Rawly IncGamers Member

If i was less than lv 90 in a cs run i would get annoyed with anyone making the exp run away, hammerdins slaughter everything in sight so why would you want to get less exp, just to go slightly faster, it is not until lv 93 that you really just need to kill diablo over and over.
  20. WarlockCC

Interesting that with a Razor and a Double bow you can get 2fpa strafe with 60ias.
    And with 42ias you are at 9fpa multi-shot.
    I will prolly also put a 10ias razor on my balistazon just to see the difference between 4fpa(balista) and 2fpa(razor) strafe.

Anywayz, making my 4fpa balistazon atm, should work just fine because of the damage of the balista.
    Is strafe bugged like fend in that it will miss the rest of your volley after you made a dodge/evade/avoid ?

Oh, and I read in a thread on the zon forum that you get an extra arrow for every partymember/merc/minion that is within 13 yards of you. Does this apply to classic ?