Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Forum Mafia - The Dark Tower Signup Thread

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Drixx, Jun 24, 2013. | Replies: 269 | Views: 10463

1. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

Hey guys,

So here's the signup thread for the next mafia game, based upon the 7 book series "The Dark Tower" by Stephen King. The game will feature several new roles that I've made myself (and hopefully balanced properly!) that haven't been seen before in any forum mafia games that I'm aware of, based upon the characters and story from the series of books. I will do my best to avoid spoiling the source material as much as possible, and as such I have written something similar to a "choose your own adventure" series of day/night stories to follow how the game progresses, and I've got 3 possible endings written for the game, depending upon which faction ultimately prevails.

Signups end: July 7th at Midnight Eastern time
    Twilight begins: July 8th at 5pm Eastern time

Game Details:
    The game will feature a twilight phase in which all game factions may be able to earn themselves a useful reward to help them achieve victory in the game. My goal for players is 30-34 although I have made 40 potential characters and thus can accommodate up to that many players. I can also run a slightly leaner version of the game with 24 players. I believe the experience will be at its absolute best with 30-34 players.

If you are unfamiliar with the source material, you may want to check out The Dark Tower Wiki and familiarize yourself with some of the characters and the setting of the game. Those who have read the books may have a slight advantage, but I've done my best to make sure that there is no need to have read the books in order to play the game and have fun.

All characters will be drawn from the character list on that wiki in order to give everyone an even playing field and the same information to go upon when trying to figure out which characters may be in play and which abilities they may or may not have.

A question for the players:

I like the idea of being able to choose your own character, and I would like to propose something and see how you guys feel about it. I will hand out roles for the game in one of two ways:

1.) The traditional way. I set the characters being used to balance to the number of players and randomly assign people to a specific role. I will do this by alphabetizing the list, assigning numbers to the roles, then randomizing those numbers. I will then randomize a number for each participant until they get a role not already previously given out via the randomizer. Basically it will be as random as random gets.

2.) The other possibility: I will assign people's alignment randomly and then give each alignment group a list of characters available and have them rank their choice preference from most to least wanted. I will then randomly sort the people on each alignment and assign them their highest desired character role. Nobody's choices will be revealed until the end of the game. This is just a neat way to give folks a little bit of a different twist on how their role gets assigned within the randomly assigned alignment.

2a.) In order to facilitate good storytelling, the character name and alignment (but not role) will be revealed for every death. Because of this, mafia will be provided with complete fake claims and something else only they will know about to offset the usual advantage mafia would get from having the exclusive knowledge of night kill flips. They will also get exclusive knowledge of night kill roles as usual. Their fake claims will be drawn from the pool of available town/neutral roles if you guys want to try out the #2 way of assigning characters.

So when you sign up, please just let me know if you would prefer to use method #1 or method #2 for character/role assignment

Final thoughts:
    I have put probably an insane amount of time into this game and it is my hope that you all will have an incredible amount of fun playing it and discovering new twists on some familiar roles as well as some completely new ideas as well. I also hope that those of you who have not yet set aside the time to read the source material will find an intriguing world to play in and hopefully want to know more of the story that Stephen King spent the better part of 30 years working on.

Because of the unusually high number of players I hope to achieve, I would like to invite you guys to invite friends you know (who would fit in with our odd bunch around here) to come help fill the slots. If I have done my job well, the larger number of players will make for an exceptionally interesting and challenging and most of all fun game.

Signup List:
    1: flubbucket
    2: pharphis
    3: pyrotechnician
    4: crawlingdeadman
    5: kestegs
    6: Moar
    7: BiPolarChemist
    8: Laarz
    9: Sathoris
    10: TheFranklin
    11: Bad Ash
    12: Noammr
    13: djmbbandie
    14: Goryani
    15: Caluin Graye
    16: Phillinnicus
    17: Jcakes
    18: Coju
    19: IWanttoUseNumbersinMyName
    20: TheMouseT
    21: Zauper
    22: Gwaihir
    23:
    24:
    25:
    26:
    27:
    28:
    29:
    30:
    31:
    32:
    33:
    34:
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  2. flubbucket

flubbucket IncGamers Member

Stephen King...any relation to Martin Luther King?? I ask since the "Dark" Tower reference is made. I think this is just a bit racist and should possibly be ran by one of the forum mods first. Wouldn't want to create a ruckus. I didn't read much past the first sentence of the intro post since it was written by Drixx, so it must be nothing but mindless droning drivel....Besides that, I'll sign up. :badteeth:
  3. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

lol @ flubb.

I would somewhat prefer the traditional random random way of role selection, though it ultimately doesn't really matter to me.
  4. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

Party time up in here! I don't know anything about the characters, so selection doesn't matter to me.

/In
  5. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

I have asked a couple of good friends to come play this game. One has said yes for sure, the other one is mulling it over. When they show up I'll properly embarrass them so you all can give them a good welcome :)
  6. pharphis

*pre-embarrassment*

I'll show up again later for post embarrassment.

Ouu, I look forward to the stories, for sure.
    *teases gory*

Also, will there be a rose de nose in this game, and if so, can I have it?
  7. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

Go read the wiki. If you read the characters you'll know which group of people, if there are some, who will be neutrals. I'm not gonna comment on whether or not there will be neutrals beyond that. I will say that I put extensive work into the idea but I won't say whether it stayed in the game or not until afterward when I share my entire design with everyone :)

There are going to be some hidden mechanics, but nowhere near what Gorny got up to back in the day.
  8. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

I'm in.

edit: Only because of the theme, you screw it up, I'll hate you forever.
  9. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I haven't read the WoT yet, but I'll play still and likely read it at some point.
  10. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

Blasphemy. This is The Dark Tower. Wheel of Time was already done. I think twice.
  11. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

If I screw it up don't you think Roland will pay me a visit? He takes issue when the author isn't doing his part :)
  12. pharphis

Ha I get it. I'll see if I can get phillinnicus to join in on this one.
  13. Moar

Moar IncGamers Site Pal

I'm in. :)

Random assignment would be my choice as I haven't read the books. Doesn't really matter though. No strong feelings for one way or the other.
  14. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

We all know phillinnicus is you, don't try and fool us.
  15. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

16. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

You mistake me for someone who reads.
  17. pharphis

We all know you use google literate-o-matic to make each of your posts. I did the backwards translation and got the above. You maniac
  18. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

By the way ... I really do highly recommend you read through the character list on that wiki. There are a LOT of characters who may be present in the game and it looks like folks are favoring a random blind assignment so you will want to know the major players so you can figure out what roles might be in play. Plenty of time before the start :)
  19. pharphis

Public bidding preference, right? I called the dark tower itself. Ok, I'll have a look soon.

So many floors
  20. BipolarChemist

BipolarChemist IncGamers Site Pal

Yeah okay. Option #2, with a side of fries please.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013