Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Forum Mafia - The Dark Tower Game Thread

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Drixx, Jul 10, 2013. | Replies: 1783 | Views: 59465

1. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

*Basic rules shamelessly stolen from Goryani and modified to fit the needs of this game*

This is a game of Mafia. For those unfamiliar with Mafia, here is a basic description. Source.

Forum rules apply while playing in this game.

Votes

• Everyone has a single vote. The vote format is: Vote: Name. Bolded. With colon. With a name.
    • Simple spelling issues in the name are acceptable.
    • You may only have one vote at a time.
    • You may change your vote during the day. In order to change your vote, you must first unvote any current vote and then vote for a different player. Format: Unvote: Name. The name is also required.

Lynches

• One player may be lynched per day.
    • A player receiving half of the possible votes (rounded up if necessary) will be lynched. One vote more is a locked lynch and cannot be undone with unvotes.
    • If no player receives enough votes to be lynched by the end of the day, no one is lynched.

Communication

• No one is allowed to post during the night.
    • No one is allowed to talk about this game outside of this thread unless your role specifically tells you otherwise.
    • No one is allowed to post after they die.

PMs

• The first rule of forum mafia is that you don’t talk about PMs.
    • The second rule of forum mafia is that you don’t talk about PMs.
    • If you have something to say or ask, then say it or ask it without referring to PMs.
    • Referring to information contained within a PM is OK. Quoting that information is not!
    • This also applies to any QuickTopic you participate in.

Modkills

• Violating any game rules may result in modkill.
    • If you are modkilled, you can’t win.
    • Intentionally modkilling yourself will result in some type of penalty placed on the rest of the members of your alignment. The penalty will depend on the severity of the infraction. This penalty may include: factional roll block, withholding information and giving the other side an extra night kill.

Miscellaneous Rules

• Do not edit your posts unless instructed to do so by the moderator.
    • Stay active. A minimum of two, contributive, non-consecutive posts are required per day phase.
    • A Temp Ban from the forums results in a modkill from the game.

Exceptions

• If your role conflicts with any of the game rules, follow the instructions on the role. The role supersedes game rules.
    • I may modify these rules at any time to create a better play experience.

Questions, Feedback, Issues
    I welcome all questions and feedback. If you don’t want to post in the game thread, do so via PM.

If you see any mistakes or other issues, please bring them to my attention (publicly or privately) promptly.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  2. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

The game will begin with a 24-hour "twilight" phase tomorrow, July 11th at 5:00pm Eastern (roughly 23 hours from this post). The game will officially begin with the first story post. If it shows up a few minutes late, restrain yourselves and wait.
  3. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

Players Alive: 7
    1: flubbucket
    2: pharphis
    3:
    4:
    5:
    6:
    7:
    8:
    9:
    10:
    11:
    12: Noammr
    13: djmbbandie
    14:
    15:
    16: Phillinnicus
    17: Jcakes
    18:
    19:
    20: TheMouseT
    21:
    22:

Twilight Start
    Twilight End
    Day 1 Start
    Day 1 End
    Day 2 Start
    Day 2 End
    Day 3 Start
    Day 3 End
    Day 4 Start
    Day 4 End
    Day 5 Start
    Day 5 End
    Day 6 Start
    Day 7 Start
    Day 7 End
    Day 8 Start
    Day 8 End
    Day 9 End

Dead Players: Go to the day start or day end to see their flip information.
    Pyrotechnician: Killed night 1
    TheFranklin: Lynched Day 1
    Bad Ash: Died night 2
    Crawlingdeadman: Lynched Day 2
    Kestegs: Killed night 3
    Kestegs: Resurrected day 3
    Goryani: Partially Lynched day 3
    Sathoris: Killed day 4
    Goryani: Lynched Day 4 (died start of day 5)
    BipolarChemist: Killed night 5
    Kestegs: Killed night 5
    Bad Ash: Killed night 5
    Laarz: Lynched Day 5
    Coju: Killed Night 7
    Zauper: Mod-killed Day 7
    Moar: Killed night 8
    Gwaihir: Lynched Day 8
    Numbers: Killed night 9
    Caluin Graye: Killed Day 9
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  4. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

Bonus early start time!
    -----------------------------

Ka is a wheel. For the inhabitants of all-world, this has ever been so. When last the world began to turn, six beams there were, and twelve guardians to guard them. But the world has moved on, and now but two remain, say true, say sorry. The gunslinger, Roland, has completed the beginning of his journey and palavered with the man in black. Shall we look back at what has come before?

The desert was the apotheosis of all deserts, huge, standing to the sky for what looked like eternity in all directions. It was white and blinding and waterless and without feature save for the faint, cloudy haze of the mountains which sketched themselves on the horizon and the devil-grass which brought sweet dreams, nightmares, death. An occasional tombstone sign pointed the way, for once the drifted track that cut its way through the thick crust of alkali had been a highway. Coaches and buckas had followed it. The world had moved on since then. The world had emptied.

The desert and many companions lay behind, and the quest for the tower lay ahead. The Tower. Somewhere ahead, through friend and foe alike, it waits for him. The nexus of time, of size, perhaps of all things. The man in black had shaken the gunslinger. Just thinking of their talk was enough to spur him to action.

"Imagine," began the man in black, "Perhaps you saw what place our universe plays in the scheme of things — as no more than an atom in a blade of grass. Could it be that everything we can perceive, from the microscopic virus to the distant Horsehead Nebula, is contained in one blade of grass that may have existed for only a single season in an alien time-flow? What if that blade should be cut off by a scythe? When it begins to die, would the rot seep into our universe and our own lives, turning everthing yellow and brown and desiccated? Perhaps it's already begun to happen. We say the world has moved on; maybe we really mean that it has begun to dry up.

"Think how small such a concept of things make us, gunslinger! If a God watches over it all, does He actually mete out justice for such a race of gnats? Does His eye see the sparrow fall when the sparrow is less than a speck of hydrogen floating disconnected in the depth of space? And if He does see... what must the nature of such a God be? Where does He live? How is it possible to live beyond infinity?"

Through the long years, Roland has doggedly pursued his quest for the Tower, never caring to count the cost. The words of his trainer and mentor Cort guided his steady path along the path of Ka: "Let the word and the legend go before you. There are those who will carry both. Fools, perchance. Let the world go before you. Let your shadow grow. Let it grow hair on its face. Let it become dark. Given time, words may even enchant an enchanter. Do you take my meaning, gunslinger?"

The gunslinger took the meaning, and took it well, indeed. The last of his kind, he sets foot on the begging of the path Ka has set, leading to the tower. Along the path, perchance the gunslinger will find once more the companions of fate, one final ka-tet to help him come finally to the terrible tower. To speak forth the litany of both honored friends and loved ones and worthy adversaries long dead. To lay claim to whatever awaits at the top of the tower.

As the gunslinger sets out, for good or ill none can say, the words of the man in black still haunt him. "Suppose that all worlds, all universes, met at a single nexus, a single pylon, a Tower. And within it, a stairway, perhaps rising to the Godhead itself. Would you dare climb to the top gunslinger? Could it be that somewhere above all of endless reality, there exists a room? ... "You dare not."

And in the gunslinger's mind, those words echoed: You dare not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight phase has begun. It will last a little over 26 hours and end tomorrow at 5:00 PM Eastern. Hidden within the introductory text above is a task for you all to complete. Find it and complete it an earn a bonus to be revealed. Good luck, and have fun.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  5. Sathoris

Sathoris IncGamers Member

:fortune: says TheMouseT is scum.

Vote: TheMouseT
  6. Phillinnicus

Phillinnicus IncGamers Member

I don't even. Riddles? This is going to consume my thoughts for a while.

Sweet intro Drixx, I'm already liking the game very much.
  7. BipolarChemist

BipolarChemist IncGamers Site Pal

Be Kestegs
  8. Phillinnicus

Already an idea has popped into my, albeit an obvious one. I dare say the answer we seek may be contained within the bolded text, yo:

"Perhaps you saw what place our universe plays in the scheme of things — as no more than an atom in a blade of grass."
    "...
    How is it possible to live beyond infinity?"
    You dare not.

Maybe I'm just crazy though. Any ideas?
  9. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I found this:
    "The gunslinger took the meaning, and took it well, indeed. The last of his kind, he sets foot on the begging of the path Ka has set, leading to the tower. Along the path, perchance the gunslinger will find once more the companions of fate, one final ka-tet to help him come finally to the terrible tower. To speak forth the litany of both honored friends and loved ones and worthy adversaries long dead. To lay claim to whatever awaits at the top of the tower. "

Inb4 rolo the mason recruiter.

Also canadian combo achievement?
  10. BipolarChemist

I keep going back to the bolded bits. They are all from the first book, word for word, as well as the paragraphs they are in save for one.

"...does He actually mete out justice for a race of gnats among an infinitude of races of gnats?" is what it is in the book, but half of it is gone above. Pretty sure this is nothing, but who knows, maybe it's a clue.

Most of what Drixx wrote was directly from the books, mainly from the first book, but some of it takes from the others. The first, third, sixth, seventh, and part of the eighth are not from the first book, but the rest is mostly word for word.
  11. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

The starting point needed to be mostly from the original works to set up the game. From here out the stories all are based upon small quotes from the books with mostly my own writing for anticipated outcomes. I may occasionally have to post a story later than intended if something unexpected happens. Knowing you folks... something unexpected will happen.
  12. BipolarChemist

I think one of the keywords is "Task". He said that a task is hidden in there. I'm thinking that it might have to do with going into the actual books and finding something. What it could be? I have no clue.
  13. Phillinnicus

Vote: Drixx

For hurting my brain.

Can you clarify what task even means? Is it a group task for everyone, or is it like a PM type thing? I'm confused.
  14. BipolarChemist

I took this as "for us all to complete", so as a group. If we figure it out collectively, we get the 'prize', so to speak.
  15. Moar

Moar IncGamers Site Pal

I hope this is a task one can complete without having read the books. I haven't read them. Gave up after about 50 pages or so of book 1. Stephen King is just not for me. Don't think I have ever completed a book he wrote. I've read the wiki recap though, but that sounded rather weird. Guess I have to read it again.

I'd like to know if the task can be solved by just the story here or if you need to know the lore.
  16. pharphis

Oh, I didn't realize anything was bolded because this stupid app doesn't show bolding and it's a piece of crap.

Vote: Walter
    Vote: Drixx
    Vote: The Man in Black
  17. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

The Gunslinger is kind of hard to read, imo. It's the weakest of the books as far as his writing goes (it was one of his earliest works). The series really finds itself in the 2nd book, imo. It's worth persevering at least through the 2nd book if you have them available.

Reading or searching the books is not necessary for any advantage or part of the game, although folks more familiar with the story may derive more enjoyment out of the mechanics, characters and stories.

The bolded statements are bolded for story purposes and have nothing to do with the task. The task is a hidden riddle in a portion of the text I wrote myself. I really ought not to give even this much of a hint but I honestly thought someone would figure it out and have it solved already.
  18. Caluin Graye

Caluin Graye IncGamers Member

Don't tell me what I do or do not dare to do!

Climb: To the top

(This post is not a roleclaim)
  19. pharphis

Pretty sure CG just claimed dark tower
  20. Moar

Moar IncGamers Site Pal

Thanks Drixx. I forwarded the text to my work email, so I can reread it and think about it. Wouldn't have done that if there was no chance of discovering it for me. I expect one of the smarter minds here to have solved it before I get up though. :p