Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Forrtidue Weapon

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by AllieB, Sep 16, 2013. | Replies: 13 | Views: 1377

1. AllieB

AllieB IncGamers Member

Fortitude Rune word: EL+Sol+Dol+Lo. I was creating a Scythe for my Desert Merc. I got so burned-I put the lo rune in thinking it was a LO-WRONG! What I ended up with is A " JEWELERS WAR SCYTHE OF BASHING" (Blue Letters) With the Runes value, and an added bonus of "Level Four Bashing". So is this a "crafted item" or what? AllieB, Who is now looking for another 4 or five socket weapon for my merc who is getting wiped out in Act 1 HELL.

2. FredOfErik

FredOfErik IncGamers Member

I assume that what happened is that you tried to make a runeword in a Jewelers War Scythe of Bashing (magic item). You cannot make runewords in magic, rare, unique or set bases - it has to be a grey (socketed) base.

Second of all, making a fortitude in a war scythe is a very bad idea. First of all fortitude isn't a very good weapon, but works very well in armors. Second of all the Lo rune is very rare, and should be used wiser. Third of all, a war scythe is very low damage, you should find an elite base for you mercs weapon.

For other good, cheap merc weapns look into Insight and Obedience runewords.

3. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

"Jeweler's" is a prefix on magic items that adds sockets to the item. The "of Bashing" suffix gives a weapon charges for the Barbarian "Bash" skill. It looks like you've wasted a Lo rune on a worthless weapon.

Note that Insight and Obedience are Ladder Only runewords.

4. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

Rune Word Rules (please read these rules first) or Jump to the Rune Words

• When you create a Rune Word you still receive all of the magical bonuses that were already on each Rune you Socketed.
    • Socketed Items must have the exact number of sockets as the Rune Word formula requires. If the Rune Word is a 3 Rune formula then you must use an item with exactly 3 sockets. A 4 socket item will not work with a 3 socket formula.
    • The Socketed Item type must be the correct item type for the formula. If the formula requires a sword, the formula will not work if you use an axe or spear.
    • Rune Words will only work in Socketed non-magical items. This means that Set Items, Unique Items, or Magic Items with enough Sockets and the proper item type will notallow or convert to Rune Words. Again, they will not work on Magic, Set, Unique or Rare items. So if you have a Mechanic's (or Jewelers item) piece of armor with 2 slots, the Stealth will not work on it because it's magical.
    • The correct Runes for a formula must be used. If one of the Runes is wrong you receive the bonuses of the Runes inserted but it does not become a Rune Word.
    • The Rune IO looks a lot like LO. Make sure you use the correct one.
    • Rune Words will not work in Wirt's Leg
    • The Runes must be placed in the correct order. You can have the correct Socketed item, correct runes and still not activate the Rune Word if you do not socket the Runes in the correct order. This is because you're trying to spell the "Rune Word" correctly and you have spelled it incorrectly. Example: "RalOrtTal". You must first place Ral, then Ort, then finally Tal into the Socketed Item.
    • You need the right patch for the formulae to work. Make sure you have the latest patch.
    More information here.
    So's Fort.

5. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

Say, is it your first character to reach Hell?
    Also, use Insight instead - Fort is one of the best melee armours, but in a weapon it's meh.

6. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

Well, good thing that you used an Io rune instead of a Lo one!

7. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Getting slapped in Act I Hell is pretty normal. :D

Make sure he's got life leech. Personally, I'd go Reapers or Insight on the weapon and Treachery armour. (I'm in a minority I suspect.) The amour is cheap and has damage reduction on it.

8. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

Eth bugged Treachery is actually quite a good choice - especially if you're using a Reaper's.
    Also, mercs activate their aurae by certain chance on striking, so if you want your Might aura asap, then Treachery is slightly better :)

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

So you learned 3 important things about runewords at the cost of a few low-value runes:

1. Lo vs. Io
    2. Runewords only work in nonmagical items.
    3. Fortitude in a weapon sucks.

That investment was totally worth it :D

Once fade has triggered.

10. AllieB

AllieB IncGamers Member

FredOfErix, The thing is I could swear my Scythe was a 4 socket Grey. However...?

Thanks for the heads up on on making better choices. AllieB

11. AllieB

AllieB IncGamers Member

naranjadita, Good info. My Merc soes need help asap. Thanks, AllieB

12. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

It's not about the appearance of the item, but the color of the first lines of text in the item description. "x's war scythe", "war scythe of Y" or X's war scythe of Y" should all appear with blueish text. The only blue text on items to become runewords are:

"Ethereal (cannot be repaired)" <--- this is a good thing for mercs, since they don't break their items
    "Socketed [x]" <--- even if the rest is white and grey, this part will always be blue
    "+x to y single skill (z class only)" <--- these are the infamous "staffmods". They can make or break a runeword. Make because you can get some sick skill bonuses to certain builds, and break because staffmods will raise repair costs drastically

Then there are the "automods". These are always found on class specific items, and include resists or damage/ar on pala shields, +skills on ama weapons, life/mana on sorc orbs and poison damage on necro shields.

EDIT: Oh, and the effect from an item being "superior" will also be blue, although the first line of text should still be white or grey.

13. AllieB

AllieB IncGamers Member

naranjadita, My first Amazon made it through Hell with a normal merc from act 1. Different Version but LOD. My next Amy couldn' get through Hell act 2. I built a barb but he seemed sooo slow and high maintenance and I couldn't get him past the NM Ancients. I spent so many hrs. researching I wasn't having fun any more. So back to my Amy. Allie

14. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

I did read this part, but I didn't realize you meant "Io." Your post has "lo" and not "Io." It sounds like you didn't actually waste a much rarer "Lo" rune though, so that's good.