Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fix an Affix!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Sir Mister, Apr 3, 2013. | Replies: 7 | Views: 1155

1. Sir Mister

Sir Mister IncGamers Member

Hey all, let's play a game called: Fix an Affix!

Essentially, we all know the itemization in D3 sucks, and all anyone wants is AllRes, MainStat, CC, CD, and LOH or LL. So, the challenge is, buff a useless affix to the point where it's More Useful than the above stats, at least to some builds, some of the time. I'll start, and I choose: Thorns!

Thorns: Buff % per piece to around 200%, have a Legendary shield w/ 500%. Most importantly: Make it multiplicative. So, if I have 5 pieces, one of which is the shield, I'm doing (5x2x2x2x2 = 80) 8000% damage to enemies that hit me. Also, have it based upon initial incoming damage (rather than damage post DR figures). Lastly, as a "hit", have thorns proc LOH, or LL, or chance to cast, etc just like any other hit.

With enough LOH or LL, and enough DR, it could eventually become possible to become a "pacifist" who runs around and lets enemies impale themselves upon their own blade. More likely, it would be instead a build which just doesn't CC, and uses abilities to draw enemies in, damaging them at close range even as they damage themselves by hitting you. Such builds would focus less on mainstat (most of their damage isn't coming from their own hits anyway), and more on life replenishment / damage reduction abilities. I could see this being very successful with a WW barb using blood funnel, for example.

Now, what other affixes could be buffed up to the near mythic level of actually being useful? More importantly, how?
  2. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

Change the globes radius affix to be a "range" affix: each one increases all your AoE (PBAoE, targeted AoE) by a certain stacking (non-multiplicative) percentage. By stacking this heavily, you should be able to create a 60-yard Rend, an Acid Cloud that covers the entire screen, etc.

The elemental resist affixes are completely useless right now, as independent values. If Blizzard doesn't want to make elemental damage matter, they should at least have specific CC-specific effects. Cold resist would reduce slow/chill duration, give a chance to avoid being slowed/chilled altogether, and a chance to avoid being frozen. Lightning resist should provide small overall DR (like Armor, but % based) and chance to avoid stun. Fire resist should reduce all DoT damage taken. Arcane resist can give you a small chance to negate the damage component of any attack. And so on.

Of course, I'd rather have the affix system be completely redone so that each one is a gameplay facet instead of a "stat" -- but that's really obtuse and not what Blizzard is going for. "Blatantly obvious affix effects" is clearly a D3 design mantra, and I don't think that's changing anytime soon. Every effect does exactly what it says it does, lame as it is.
  3. PearlJamaholic

PearlJamaholic IncGamers Member

for globe radius i always thought they should combine it with health bonus or even movement speed. if it came in a bundle it might be worth wanting on an item with it. 4000+ health bonus could be like 14 yards, 3000/13, whatever works.
  4. Flux

Flux Administrator

I remain disappointed that they took out +spell damage mods during dev. Those seemed very interesting as it provided differentiation between mage chars and others, and made wiz/wds require items for damage.

Of course all classes require items for dps in the final game, (unlike D2) so spell damage would basically just divide up items a bit with some good for jsut the wd/wiz, and others for monk/barb/dh, depending on whether they had spell damage vs skill damage, or attack speed vs. casting rate. And I don't think that would actually have been an improvement, just in of itself. Imagine finding an awesome ring with dex and crit, but it's got faster casting rate on it which is useless to a DH or Monk.

The basic problem, as often stated, is taht every class now wants the same mods, and CC/CD/AS are by far the most desired. In theory a jewelry with trifecta, vit, and res all would be equally useful to all classes, which sucks for individualization. Yet at the same time, some RPGs are super specialized in gear and any item is instantly only good for one class, at most. I think going too far in that direction is a bad thing as well.

In conclusion, designing a good item system is hard.
  5. slyraje

slyraje IncGamers Site Pal

I think your idea is better than what I had for thorns. I was thinking that it could also work as damage reduction tool in addition to reflecting damage. If thorns could be competitive with armor or all resist in the amount of damage it ignores/reduces plus give you extra damage, it would be worthwhile. But again, I like your idea better.

What about the bonus to healing from health globes/potions change to a bonus to healing from all sources? Maybe add in a bonus to resource replenishment as well.
  6. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

To me, there is one overruling goal for stats in a game like D3.

Stats should be specialized across classes!
    http://www.shadout.dk/diablo/statitemization.png - behold the power of paint

Specialized as in serving a specific purpose. Specialized as in not useful for everyone and everything = any given stat should be wanted for some types of barb specs, but not wanted by other types of barb spec for example.

'Across classes' as in; no stat should only be useful for one or few classes.

1) Str, dex, int fails here, for being clas-specific (or rather two-classes specific..-). And non-specialized on top if it. Double fail.
    2) Crit fails by being non-specialized - though at least it is not class specific. The only problem with crit really is that its so good for all specs - even if the used spec isn't specifically crit focused - Crit should certainly be godly for a CM Wizard for example, while crappy for a bunch of other Wizard specs.
    3) Pick-up radius is a skill with lots of potential for example. It is very specialized for some Witch-doctor abilities. It just fails when it comes to having a purpose across all classes (other than for picking up gold of course, which is not enough of a purpose).
    4) Resource-bonuses fr the different classes are actually kinda good in this regard. Some buiilds greatly need increased resource generation while others don't really need more resource generation. The stat just fails by being split up into different stats for each class, instead of working for all classes at once.

As such, the goal should not be to get all skills to be as generically strong as crit, str, dex etc.
    It should be to make skills like Pickup-radius, that just have synergy with some skills for all classes.

Str, dex etc should be totally re-purposed, to give benefits across all classes (no, the defensive benefits are not enough currently to serve that purpose). Crit should be balanced to greatly benefit some skills and not really benefit other skills for example.

I guess I'm not really giving my own answer to the OP's question here... but I just thhink its the wrong way to go, to try and make more skills that can compete with main-stat, crit and AR, when those stats themselves are part of the problem.

So, to use your Thorns example, it should scale with some skills, for example one of the Wizard armors and one of their passives, 2 of the runes in two of the monks mantras, 2 barb skills and one barb passive, etc. etc. It shouldnt just always be awesome for everyone who got the right pieces.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  7. sneakytails

sneakytails IncGamers Member

1. +% to Grenade, Spike Traps or Sentry modifiers that can spawn on all pieces of gear not just a few types. The other option would be to increase the % amount to actually make end game at higher MP levels feasible with a trap/tank DH based build.

2. Amp damage - this would be nice to have for a low DPS character.

I like the thorns idea.

Tinkering has always been a favorite part of the diablo franchise for me, and it would be nice to see more options on this front. It just seems like the devs are very afraid of making a change and going too far (at least in their minds).
  8. Jaetch

Jaetch IncGamers Member

Change elemental resistances (fire, lightning, cold, poison, arcane/holy) into elemental affinities :)

Stacking affinities automatically raises resistances to that element (perhaps 1.5x?) and also increases skill damage dealt that involve such elements. Lightning monks will benefit a lot from it. WDs may want to stack poison, wizards with arcane, etc.

Oh, and passive life regeneration. I feel like it should be based on a % of your vitality stat, not just a flat number from gear and abilities. I'm only thinking of this because I have nearly 150K HP and 300 life per second isn't really going to do much good over a long period of time.