Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

First Blizzard/Fireball Sorc AND Spirit Shield VS Max Block Questions

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Cozmo, Apr 12, 2012. | Replies: 6 | Views: 4119

1. Cozmo

Cozmo IncGamers Member

First Blizzard/Fireball Sorc AND Spirit Shield VS Max Block Questions

Hi guys,

Making my first Blizzard/Fireball sorc for two reasons. The first is that I'm sick of Frozen Orb and the second is that I'm hoping Blizzard will be more effective in Hell, as FO really takes a long time to kill in some areas. My question is about point distribution. I'm going to use Tal's Set, so I have around +5 skills and, ideally, +2 CM, +2 FM, +15% cold damage, and -15% fire resist.

Keeping that in mind, what is the ideal skill point distribution? This is what I saw in a guide:

20 Blizzard
    20 Glacial Spike
    1 CM
    20 Fireball
    20 Meteor
    1 FM
    1 Warmth
    1 Teleport
    +prerequisites

Is that a good distribution? Is 1 hard point in CM enough? I should have about +8 with equipment. I'm going dual element because I want her to be able to solo all areas of hell.

Also, with a dual element sorc (wearing Tal's set), what is your preference between using a Spirit shield and going for max block? I understand the argument for max block vs pumping vitality, but 2 skill points from spirit is a significant amount of damage, not to mention the FCR for fireball. No one actually tries to go for max block with a spirit monarch shield, do they? With the amount of str/dex required, I would think your hitpoints would be frighteningly low. Interested to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!
    Cozmo
  2. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Re: First Blizzard/Fireball Sorc AND Spirit Shield VS Max Block Questions

You cannot max block with Tal's set unfortunately. All blocking shields have no fcr, and so you won't get to 105 fcr.
    Besides, spirit is great! Go for it. You need a perfect 35fcr to achieve the breakpoint with Tal's + magefist.

That's about right, you can also pump firebolt instead of meteor and save yourself three points that way. Put all remaining points in CM.
  3. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

Glacial spike does dramatically less damage than ice blast. Get ice blast instead so you can use it to kill fire immunes that aren't in big groups (and are therefor annoying to pick off with blizzard).

As zaphod says, firebolt instead of meteor saves you a few points, since you'll rarely, if ever, actually want to cast meteors.

Put remaining points in cold mastery until you hit ~17 after +skills, then put points in ice bolt (synergy for both blizzard and ice blast) or fire mastery - which is mostly a personal preference thing.
  4. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Stick with spirit and no block. People only go for max block with spirit in PvP and only when they have access to bugged items that aren't practical or necessary for pvm.

This would work even better with torch + anni + bo, but I suggest you mage Ice Blast instead of glacial spike; the returns on skill point investment will be much better (~1250 average vs ~400 average, both before %cold skill damage) and it also boosts your glacial spike damage to ~170. Glacial spike's main use for me has been to freeze packs rather than deal damage; I think a strong single-target cold attack like Ice Blast will help more, since you already have a strong AoE cold attack with blizzard. You don't really have enough points available to make Glacial all that strong. Like Zaphodbrx says, you'll wanna put more points in cold mastery unless you get more +skills. With 1 point you're only at -70 res, not enough to bring even non resistant monsters down to -100.

Edit: ninjered over ice blast.
  5. Cozmo

Cozmo IncGamers Member

Thanks for all of the info! I will go with FB vs Meteor and save those points, considering how tight dual element builds are. And I was leaning towards Spirit, so it's good to hear :)
  6. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

Using Blizzard makes this even tighter than Orb. Are you using Infinity on merc ? If so I recommend no points in CM, tal orb gives you the skill.
    And don't forget 1 point in Static Field ! It helps against Fire immunes.

Blizzard is supposed to be weaker than Orb unless fully synergised so I would be interested to see if this build is effective.
    It's also worth comparing with Orb's Ice Bolt Synergy. Although only 2% per point, the extra 38% damage is significant and may beat Blizzard with only 1 synergy.
    I hate the hit and miss of Blizzard, and the delay to hit which makes it a slow killer.
    BTW For fire immunes are you hitting with static field to half health and then spamming Glacial Spike in between Frozen Orb shots ?
  7. danc133

danc133 IncGamers Member

You are silly if you do. Fbolt has NO use after FBall is gained and meteor does. The burn duration can be stacked especially in between waves of Baal's minions. Meteor even without the Fball synergy maxed can kill in hell. If you want another point of view check out the meteBlizz guide. The damage numbers speak for them self and you have 2 usable fire skills. The additional 3 skills are not wasted. Firewall can be used for leveling and inferno is a synergy for meteor although a poor one. A level 1 firewall with average say +10 skills has an 18 yard range so can be cast at corners as a scout in corridors which can be handy in the WSK. The choice is obvious 2 usable spells vs 1, the second with superior damage and still have the same Fball damage, do the math. Once you factor in the long, stackable burn duration of meteor there is no comparison.

First round is on me! :guiness:

D!