Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

First Assassin attempt and a few questions

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Tanakeah, Apr 14, 2012. | Replies: 7 | Views: 3804

1. Tanakeah

Tanakeah IncGamers Member

First Assassin attempt and a few questions

So after playing a Bowazon and a Riftadin and making an Assassin character mostly as a mule, I got to thinking, "Why not put the girl to work and have some fun with the class I've never played before?" Not only that, I had such fun with my Riftadin and shooting out Frozen Orbs everywhere that when I saw the runeword "Chaos", it only sweetened the deal even more for me to want to play the Assassin as a serious character. However, before diving in I figured I'd come here and take a look at all of the guides and see what kind of build I might like...but wow...so confusing! :crazyeyes: I did absorb some of the stuff, but I need just a little bit of general help for what to look for in terms of gear and what not (and I will be twinking her a bit thanks to my higher level characters that have some MF and I have some spare high runes), so...a few questions:

**Important Note - This is a PvM Build I am after**

1. I want to focus on one hand weapon being 'Chaos' and I had previously found and saved a...Suwayyah...that had +skills to Dragon Flight, Weapon Block, and... I want to say Venom. I forgot the exact numbers for all of them, but I think Dragon Flight had +3 to it. If I use this as my base for Chaos (it has enough sockets for it), should I keep that in my off-hand or my main hand? If off-hand, then what would be a good blade to keep my eyes peeled for while doing some MF on my other characters, or would there be any other runeword weapons to use? I do want to try and keep it to where she's dual-wielding Assassin blades if possible.

2. I have read some of the guides and if I use 'Chaos' would she do ok as a kicking type Assassin, or rather, would the CTC Frozen Orb activate from kick attacks? Or does it only activate on attacks that involve her blades directly?

3. Should I invest into the Martial Arts tree - given the Runeword I want to use - on things like Tiger Strike, Dragon Talon, or Phoenix Strike? To go along with that, would I be better spending other points in Shadow Discipline skills, or would the Trap tree be a better investment? Like I said, I did read some of the guides, but I'm still a bit confused since I can't nail down a specific build I want to try out, so sorry if I sound like an utter noob...I totally am to this class! :scratchhead:

4. What other gear should I be on the lookout for in terms of armor slots? Would Fortitude be a decent choice for body armor (I do have runes for it), and since I do have Venom skills on my weapon, would I be better off with Trang's gloves, or should I look for +skill gloves? Any other general armor slot help would be appreciated in terms of what I can be on the lookout for.

5. I read in some of the guides about something about bugging your weapon speed with equipping/unequipping weapons or something like that. Does that still work in the current game and is it necessary to do, or does it not matter that much for what I am after?

...I think that's about it, and thanks in advance for any and all help given! :nod:

2. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

Re: First Assassin attempt and a few questions

Kicks will proc CtC effects from the mainhand weapon, but if that's the way you want to go, rift is going to be way, way better. People use chaos for the whirlwind. Using it with kick attacks isn't going to be very good. A rift kicker can send off more orbs/sec than a rift zealot can. With an infinity merc it is quite a powerful build, and that's the road I'd recommend if you want to do a CtC kicker.

If you want to use whirlwind, on the other hand, then of course you use chaos. Either of these routes leaves lots of points open to get decent death sentry / lightning sentry. 20 dragon talon is all you need in MA for the rift kicker (1 dragon flight is good too). For the chaos/ww 20 in claw mastery instead. Beyond that it is the 1 pt wonders like mindblast, fade, cloak of shadows - and if you like 20 venom for the whirlwinder. Some points in claw block is good for dual claw whirly, but don't max it.

If you go 20 venom then trang isn't a bad choice for, if you don't need IAS from the glove slot for a breakpoint.

3. Tanakeah

@magicrectangle

All right, thanks for that clarification. I did check out the Rift-Sin guide and noticed the build offered in there relies on a shield, or at least offered one to use. Can the build be made without a shield, and if so, would there be any viable claws for the offhand, or is it pretty much best to use a shield?

And now that I am sorta thinking about it...since I would have a second set of weapons to switch to, could I use both Rift and Chaos on separate weapon switches and still have enough points to make them work, or would that be sacrificing too much?

4. magicrectangle

Rift can't be made in a claw, so dual claw is not possible. The options are pole or scepter. Pole is pretty silly since it is a proc based build that gets no damage benefit from a 2h, so scepter is really the only good option. Plus stormshield really helps the survivability of the build.

Neither build requires very many skillpoints, so yes, you can do both on the same character. You can even max death sentry and still have points left. I've never tried that sort of hybrid, but it seems like it might be a giggle.

As for gear, I'd gear for crushing blow rather than %cold damage, as it benefits both builds pretty well, whereas %cold really only helps rift (the orb is too low level on chaos to do much damage).

Build would look something like this I guess:
    20 claw mastery
    20 dragon talon
    20 venom
    20 death sentry
    1 mindblast
    1 cos
    1 dragon flight
    1 fade (or use treachery)

Try to pick up +skill rather than +sin where possible, to help overcome the damage penalty of having low level whirlwind.

Since I've never tried this build I can't speak to its effectiveness, but it has all the core things a riftsin needs, so it should be fine, at least on that end of things.

Of course if you're using your switch for chaos, you're not using it for call to arms, so that could be a difficulty. Not having BO always sucks.

5. Tanakeah

I'm sorry, I made that a bit unclear. I meant that could I use a Rift scepter in the main hand, but instead of a shield could I use another claw in the offhand, or would that make the build far too fragile? And yeah...definitely know how good a shield can be from my experiences with my Rift-a-din...Exile shield on that build is absolutely broken, and the only time I died was when I got extremely unlucky and got jumped by twin champion Gloam packs in Hell, or when I went AFK in an area I thought was safe in ACt II tombs and a wandering pack of specters had their way with me. :whistling: Speaking of shields...I think I have a spare Phoenix Monarch lying around on one of my mules and since I'll need a bit of strength to wear upped Goreriders, shouldn't be too bad.

Yeah, and I do have a spare Call to Arms sword as well, so I could use that if I find I'm dying way too much. Battle Orders is really just so darn good with its life boost and it can really help, and I know that well from my Faith and Ice wielding Bowazons. I can get away without it on my Paladin thanks to Exile or Drac's with their Life Taps and Exile's Defiance aura, and the Holy Shield just makes things hit me so much less on him.

But, thanks for the rough outline and giving me some place to start since that's usually the hardest part for me when trying out something new. After that, though, I can usually do some tweaking around to see what I like. That and I'm going to have to get used to hotkey switching on this one. :propeller:

6. magicrectangle

Assassins can only dual-wield with two claws.

7. Tanakeah

Ahhhhhhh, didn't know that. Well then that makes the decision incredibly simple...SHIELD IT IS! ^_^

8. danc133

danc133 IncGamers Member

Stick with chaos it gives you more options. You can then go dual claw or claw shield. You can use W/wind if you want and also get the dmg & AR boost from claw mastery. The magic dmg on chaos also transfers to your kicks and damn few monsters resist it. Depending on your base claw chaos can also require less IAS then your scepter. The magic dmg on chaos will out perform the tornado procs for dmg per second. Simply put if you hit you will do magic damage with chaos, with rift if you hit you have a chance to maybe proc a tornado that isn't synergized. Don't let one person's opinion talk you into that weapon. Sure rift has magic damage too about half of chaos. Rift also has no enhanced dmg so if you want to use any attack other then kicks it will be weaker and has no increased speed so likely be slower too. I agree rift is a great weapon but for my money chaos is better and more versatile on an assassin.

First round is on me! :guiness:

D!