Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fireclaw druid - phoenix shield or stormshield

Discussion in 'Druid' started by pulli, Jun 4, 2012. | Replies: 6 | Views: 3205

1. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Hi there,

I'm building a fireclaw druid and am still wondering what I should do with my shield slot. (already own jalals, shaeled phase blade, chains of honor for the base stats).

I still have my jah rune, and am not far from the runeword "phoenix". - This will provide me an -enemy magic resistance, possibly breaking immunities.. As well as a 400% increase in damage (Though I believe that only happens over the basic dmg of the phase blade?).

However the other option most guides suggest is "stormshield", basically covering both cold & light resistance (together with jalals & CoH). A LOT of defense, and physical damage reduction.

What should I take? - Maybe both to use on switch? (would require me farming shaels again :p)
  2. Octogenarian

Octogenarian IncGamers Member

Stormshield for damage reduction, resists and an available socket; also, the enhanced damage will not work with Fire Claws, only the -% enemy resistances will.
  3. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

though -28% fire resist means a 28% dmg increase - at least. I'm now just waiting to go hell mode, and a bit afraid of all immunities - lacking infinity (guides even suggest insigh?).
  4. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

Hm, decisions, decisions.

Stormsheild is a very high blocking shield and bears have a terrible block rate so unless you can hit a good faster block rate breakpoint, I highly recommend a shield without a high chance to block.

Phoenix, if you can afford the rune cost is actually not a bad choice for a fireclaws bear. Your fire damage will gain a sizable boost due to the -enemy fire res, the blocking is terrible (actually what we want on a bear), redemption makes an unlimited source of health, and the 400% ed, even though it will only affect your physical damage, will help with any fire immunes or increase any life/mana leach you may have. The 400% ed works as off-weapon ed. So it will combine with any other sources of this such as ed% from an aura (might/fanac/concentration), skill (fury), or item such as fortitude armor.

If phoenix is too costly, the cheap alternative is a spirit shield (probably in a monarch). It provides boosts to our skills, resistances, has great faster hit recovery and terrible blocking (as stated before, ideal for a bear).

Just something to note about fire resistance and -enemy resistance. -Enemy resistance cannot break immunities. Immunities must be broken either by using conviction or the necro lower resist curse. -Enemy resistance then takes effect after the immunity is broken. Infinity in the guide you are looking at probably is not recommended because unlike lightning immune monsters, fire immunity is unlikely to be broken due to the naturally high resistance of fire immune monsters.
  5. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Phoenix's ctc Firestorm stop you from attack for rounda about 10 frames every time it procs and so kills any char with a fast attack speed. Don't do it D:

If you're Bear then you don't want block, if a wolf then it's passable.
    Code:
    Druid (Wolf)
    	FHR 	FBR
    9	-	0%
    8	-	7%
    7	0%	15% 
    6	9%	27% 
    5	20%	48% 
    4	42%	86% 
    3	86%	200% 

Druid (Bear)
    	FHR	FBR
    13	0% 	-
    12	5% 	0%
    11	10% 	5%
    10	16% 	10%
    9	24% 	16%
    8	37% 	27%
    7	54% 	40%
    6	86% 	65%
    5	152% 	109%

If you want -res put Infi on your merc ;)
  6. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Well I'm considering doing both hubb... But you confuse me, I"m a bear so I don't want block, so no stormshield - nor phoenix?
  7. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

There's also Blackoak. The dex nets you some HP, it has no increased chance of blocking (which is good) and it's relatively speedy. You really only gain a bit of HP for your shield slot, but unless you plan on keeping stuff stunned with Shockwave then it's your best bet. I think.

That said, I've never liked bears and haven't played one in ages so there's no harm in trying it yourself. Stat dex for a PB, then equip a decent blocking shield and see how it goes.