Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fire Huntermentalist

Discussion in 'Druid' started by xen, Aug 4, 2013. | Replies: 2 | Views: 2545

1. xen

xen IncGamers Member

Hi,

I came back to playing D2 single player after wiping all my characters and stashes in the past (to conform to SPTF rules).

I'm rebuilding a character I've enjoyed, which is a dual fire/summons druid.

I've reread the guide at http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/...entalist-updated-and-extended-version-d/page2

My question revolves around whether or not to use a bow/x-bow.

This is my first character and since it's not so powerful, I want it to be a MF build particularly for Pindleskin.

The build is something like this:

5 points Spirit Wolves
    20 points Dire Wolves
    20 points Grizzly Bear
    20 points Fissure
    20 points Volcano
    rest Oak Sage.

On my former build I was using Heart of Wolverine with a Might mercenary. During most of Hell I was using an Obedience runeword Thresher. It was decent, but once I got a Reaper's Toll, things went much smoother. The decrep was really a great help.

I found that my build was so weak in any case that my merc did the majority of damage. Still the summons allowed him to stay alive. I also found that while my bow had been really helpful in Nightmare (Kuko Shukaku) in Hell I just didn't have enough attack rating (even with HoW) and I can't remember that my Harmony Shadow Bow ended up being very useful. Except for the Vigor aura. The Valkyrie was also useful at times although dying really fast.

Decrepify really deals with a lot of Physical Immunes.

Is there any point really in aiming for a bow this time, I wonder. I was using a Ravenfrost, a Jalal's Mane, a Mara's, an eth Skullder's Ire, and for the most part was running around with Blade of Ali Baba, Chance Guards, a Nagel Ring... and a Rhyme shield.

So basically, this was already a magic find build. Now, in act V Normal I found the unique arbalest, Langer Briser. For Nightmare it will be a useful addition and it has 51% magic find. Until I find my old gear (Ali Baba, Rhyme) it will be the most useful to carry around. It won't be useful upgrading it to elite - the lightning damage is just not high enough.

Should I attempt to achieve some modicum of attack rating, or just leave it and spend my stats (and gear) elsewhere? I haven't been beyond act 3 Hell with this former character. The only reason for a bow is to deal with PIs/FIs (which is mostly unnecessary) and to shoot at bosses (which I don't plan on running). So what's left is the charm of being a 'hunter'....
  2. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

I would say that it's not necessary. As with many builds that you can squeeze a 3rd damage source onto, that 3rd source tends to be pretty weak. The charm of being a hunter is pretty big (for me) though and it does give you something to do; plink away while waiting between fissure/volcano timers.

I love Harmony for this build.
  3. xen

xen IncGamers Member

Yeah that's true. The plinking away is not really necessary on trash, but on bosses (where the mercenary does like 25% damage and/or dies) it could help a bit. Of course bosses also have the highest armor :p. Harmony would be nice again yeah. I might end up with exactly the same gear after all :).