Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Finding the basic sorc fixin's early (Iratha's, shard, et al.)

Discussion in 'Classic' started by USEast Tristan, Sep 9, 2013. | Replies: 3 | Views: 5051

1. USEast Tristan

USEast Tristan IncGamers Member

I wanted to speculate on where each of these items (such as used not only by crusher sorcs but by new spellcasters in general) typically show up. However my understanding of the item quality mechanics is terrible so I'm now going to plea for help from people who know things.

Shopping list:

Iratha's set - quality level 21
    Crown - qlvl 29
    Amulet - ??
    Light Gauntlets - qlvl 20
    Heavy Belt - qlvl 20

Spectral Shard - qlvl34
    Blade - qlvl 23

Tearhaunch - qlvl 39
    Plate Boots - qlvl 27

The Ward - qlvl 35
    Gothic Shield - qlvl 30

Tower Shield - qlvl 22 - 3 sockets??

Twitch - qlvl 22
    Studded Leather - qlvl 8

Statted-up FCR rings
    resist element - affix level 18
    good STR tiers - alvl 21 / 38 / 55
    good DEX tiers - alvl 22 / 39 / 56 (useful when you find a shard)
    good life tiers - alvl 17 / 34 / 51 / 68
    energy tiers - alvl 21 / 31

I am wildly guessing that

the area level =>
    limits monster level =>
    limits the qlvl of the base items and the qlvl of the sets and uniques possible?

For instance with Iratha's I would guess on this basis that most of the set begins appearing in Classic in Act 3 normal, where the area levels start at 21 (the qlvl of the set) and exceed those base items' qlvls of 20 (the gloves, belt, and amulet(?)). But a Crown, with its qlvl of 29, would apparently not be seen until the Stony Field in nightmare, a lvl 29 area. Small bosses in norm Act 4 (lvl26+3) and Diablo (lvl40) should be able to drop crowns, but Meph (lvl26) will not. Do I have this right?

The situation with the crown, I would guess, is reversed from the situation with the unique items. The unique versions of piddly base items like a Studded Leather are only seen later, whereas in the case of Iratha's Crown it is the base item, the crown, which forces that set item to be seen later than expected.

In terms of the affixes seen on rings, I imagine the alvl is the same as qlvl. But overall, I do not know if any of this is remotely correct, so I do not want to go on extrapolating.

So the questions are: is the above correct? And do sockets require a higher qlvl? Do the affixes on rare jewelry, given by alvl, conform to these same rules? Where would Iratha's amulet start appearing— level 21 areas?

Thanks in advance guys.
  2. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

For the such basic sets like Iratha's I would probably clean normal a couple of times. Due to it's, as you already pointed out, abysmally low quality level, it can drop on a whole lot of places. You'll likely spend more time figuring out where it's optimal drop place is then it actually takes to find them.
    I would clean Andy, Council, Meph and Dia.
    That should pretty much cover you item and quality wise.

Or make a game with a character which has finished Normal, do some MF'ing for 5 minutes on none of the above or pre-clean around. Then switch to other characters which can first kill the above characters. Naturally you will need different characters. At least 1 for Andy, one for the Council+Meph and one more character for Dia.

To clean quickly, I would probably use a sorc with a good amount of killing power( you won't need very high MF ) or for variation maybe a cold Pala.

edit

And if you wish to find some socketed armors or weapons(only grey[read:no mods] weapons and armors can be found in classic with sockets) you may simply wish to clean some cow levels on norm or NM.
  3. USEast Tristan

USEast Tristan IncGamers Member

Thanks for your response. Unless I'm mistaken on how the treasure class mechanics work, I am leaning towards getting through normal as fast as possible and clearing nightmare repeatedly, instead. This partly because the crown being the most exclusive member of the Iratha set seems like only Diablo will drop it in normal, but also because most of the rest of the desired equipment (shard, tearhaunch, ward, and statted-up FCR rings) will not appear in normal either. Apparently sojs also start showing up in nightmare, though I don't particularly need them lol.

Leaning towards orber with nova on the pinch (and only nm trav requires three elements)— it appears that an orber can handle virtually everything else.

This all hinges on whether I'm correct about the area levels ofc.

Thanks, I will.
  4. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Indeed NM gives you better odds at finding them as there are indeed more monsters which can drop the desired items.
    A Orber with a bit of Nova would certainly work wonders. I would get max teleport on that sorc even before putting more points into Nova, that will help you find our good buddy Meph the Isenhartdropper. You may want to make that sorc specifically for NM council and Meph, as the First Kill seems to help get your greens.